I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on" - SGI

This is a discussion on I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on" - SGI ; What you need to do is use a diagnostics terminal connect it to the serial port tty1. power the system up, go to command monitor from the maintenance menu then type setenv console g, you should get your graphics back. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    UNIX admin wrote:

    > I have this I2 that I've been trying to get to work. The console has been
    > configured (by the previous owner) to tty1. I have not been given the serial
    > cable.
    >
    > I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the machine, and I bought a 13W3
    > (supposedly for SGI) to HD15 converter. However, when I hooked up a PC
    > bucket monitor (Compaq MV740), I get no signal.
    >
    > The I2 plays its tune, the LED blinks green, then amber, than green again,
    > indicating that the HW passed the tests.
    >
    > Q1: is there anything I can do to reset the PROM settings to default, so
    > that once again I can input commands from the keyboard, or possibly even get
    > video on screen?
    >
    > Q2: what is the default refresh rate and the resolution of the Solid Impact
    > board? I couldn't find this info on techbpubs. Perhaps my monitor can't sync
    > up with the gfx board?
    >
    > Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable, does
    > anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is, and where I could
    > obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

  2. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    also check the baud rate of the diagnostics terminal before changing the
    environment of you console. I think it should be 9600

    UNIX admin wrote:

    > I have this I2 that I've been trying to get to work. The console has been
    > configured (by the previous owner) to tty1. I have not been given the serial
    > cable.
    >
    > I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the machine, and I bought a 13W3
    > (supposedly for SGI) to HD15 converter. However, when I hooked up a PC
    > bucket monitor (Compaq MV740), I get no signal.
    >
    > The I2 plays its tune, the LED blinks green, then amber, than green again,
    > indicating that the HW passed the tests.
    >
    > Q1: is there anything I can do to reset the PROM settings to default, so
    > that once again I can input commands from the keyboard, or possibly even get
    > video on screen?
    >
    > Q2: what is the default refresh rate and the resolution of the Solid Impact
    > board? I couldn't find this info on techbpubs. Perhaps my monitor can't sync
    > up with the gfx board?
    >
    > Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable, does
    > anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is, and where I could
    > obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

  3. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    Steve Platt wrote:
    > also check the baud rate of the diagnostics terminal before changing the
    > environment of you console. I think it should be 9600

    If I had a terminal and the right serial cable, I wouldn't be posting
    about the problem here. The console would be set to "g" long time ago
    and I wouldn't bother the newsgroup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2