Autoboot Failure - SGI

This is a discussion on Autoboot Failure - SGI ; Hello, System disk (18 Gb) failure on Octane machine. Replaced w/ new (36 Gb)disk, formatted, partitioned and reinstalled. worked fine, then restored files from backup tapes. Partitioning was not exactly like original and one partitioned was impacted - 100% full ...

  1. Autoboot Failure

    Hello,

    System disk (18 Gb) failure on Octane machine. Replaced w/ new
    (36 Gb)disk, formatted, partitioned and reinstalled. worked fine, then
    restored files from backup tapes. Partitioning was not exactly like
    original and one partitioned was impacted - 100% full - system went down
    again. Repartitioned / resized with fx --x in expert mode. On restarting
    sys drops to single user mode ==> command prompt and displays the
    following error message ===>
    Autoboot failed
    Unable to execute xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)partition(0)/unix: media
    not loaded
    Hit Enter to continue

    Doing so returns screen to Menu (Command Prompt). Thought I had
    compromised my volume headers but did a dvhtools and all the contents
    seemed OK, the partitions, geometry, sgilabel etc. all present.

    What could be causing this, and how can I correct this?

    -- Adam --

  2. Re: Autoboot Failure - More on ......

    I forgot to mention also that I did do a "resetenv" >> Done ==> Command
    Prompt Menu

    Error message returned:
    Unable to execute xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix:
    media not loaded
    Autoboot failed.
    xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix: not loaded.
    hit Enter to continue

    Which returns the system to the Command Prompt
    >> Start System ==> goes into an endless loop of the same

    >> Install System ==>

    Unable to execute xio(0)pci(13)scsi(2)cdrom(7)partition(8)sash64 --
    media not loaded.
    Unable to continue; press to return to menu:

    With the disk as an option disk in a second machine :
    dvhtool -v list /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh

    Current contents:
    File name Length Block #
    sgilabel 512 2
    ide 281088 3
    sash 281088 552
    IP30prom 868352 1101
    So sash is present, but /unix apparently is not. How can I determine if
    it is present and if it is not, how (and from where) can I add it.

    Thanks

    Adam Smith wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > System disk (18 Gb) failure on Octane machine. Replaced w/ new
    > (36 Gb)disk, formatted, partitioned and reinstalled. worked fine, then
    > restored files from backup tapes. Partitioning was not exactly like
    > original and one partitioned was impacted - 100% full - system went down
    > again. Repartitioned / resized with fx --x in expert mode. On restarting
    > sys drops to single user mode ==> command prompt and displays the
    > following error message ===>
    > Autoboot failed
    > Unable to execute xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)partition(0)/unix: media
    > not loaded
    > Hit Enter to continue
    >
    > Doing so returns screen to Menu (Command Prompt). Thought I had
    > compromised my volume headers but did a dvhtools and all the contents
    > seemed OK, the partitions, geometry, sgilabel etc. all present.
    >
    > What could be causing this, and how can I correct this?
    >
    > -- Adam --

  3. Re: Autoboot Failure - More on ......

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    :>> Install System ==>
    :Unable to execute xio(0)pci(13)scsi(2)cdrom(7)partition(8)sash64 --

    :With the disk as an option disk in a second machine :
    :dvhtool -v list /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh

    :Current contents:
    : File name Length Block #
    : sgilabel 512 2
    : ide 281088 3
    : sash 281088 552
    : IP30prom 868352 1101

    Notice you have 'sash' in the volume header, not 'sash64'. 'sash'
    and 'sash64' are two different programs.

    :So sash is present, but /unix apparently is not.

    /unix wouldn't be in the volume header. You would need a successful
    load of sash64 for sash64 to be able to read the disk to find /unix .

  4. Re: Autoboot Failure - More on ......

    Thanks for your input

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    > :>> Install System ==>
    > :Unable to execute xio(0)pci(13)scsi(2)cdrom(7)partition(8)sash64 --
    >
    > :With the disk as an option disk in a second machine :
    > :dvhtool -v list /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh
    >
    > :Current contents:
    > : File name Length Block #
    > : sgilabel 512 2
    > : ide 281088 3
    > : sash 281088 552
    > : IP30prom 868352 1101
    >
    > Notice you have 'sash' in the volume header, not 'sash64'. 'sash'
    > and 'sash64' are two different programs.

    I was a bit apprehensive about this at first but then the original sys
    disk that came from SGI or their reseller had a similar set up:
    mach 5# dvhtool -v list /dev/rdsk/dks0d1vh

    Current contents:
    File name Length Block #
    sgilabel 512 2
    ide 266240 3
    sash 266240 523
    IP30prom 872960 1043

    mach 6# uname -a
    IRIX64 mach 6.5 07121149 IP30

    both machines are Octanes, one, the former, a dual CPU and both are 64
    bit, which is confirmed by the IP30 in the uname output, I believe.

    > :So sash is present, but /unix apparently is not.
    >
    > /unix wouldn't be in the volume header. You would need a successful
    > load of sash64 for sash64 to be able to read the disk to find /unix .

  5. Re: Autoboot Failure

    make sure you have sash

    Adam Smith wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > System disk (18 Gb) failure on Octane machine. Replaced w/ new
    > (36 Gb)disk, formatted, partitioned and reinstalled. worked fine, then
    > restored files from backup tapes. Partitioning was not exactly like
    > original and one partitioned was impacted - 100% full - system went down
    > again. Repartitioned / resized with fx --x in expert mode. On restarting
    > sys drops to single user mode ==> command prompt and displays the
    > following error message ===>
    > Autoboot failed
    > Unable to execute xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)disk(1)partition(0)/unix: media
    > not loaded
    > Hit Enter to continue
    >
    > Doing so returns screen to Menu (Command Prompt). Thought I had
    > compromised my volume headers but did a dvhtools and all the contents
    > seemed OK, the partitions, geometry, sgilabel etc. all present.
    >
    > What could be causing this, and how can I correct this?
    >
    > -- Adam --

+ Reply to Thread