windows 2003 on SGI 540... - SGI

This is a discussion on windows 2003 on SGI 540... - SGI ; Is is possible to install windows 2003 server on a SGI 540 workstation? I have installed windows 2000 server but upgrading to 2003 doesn't work :/ There is some non standard procedure to upgrade it?...

  1. windows 2003 on SGI 540...

    Is is possible to install windows 2003 server on a SGI 540 workstation?

    I have installed windows 2000 server but upgrading to 2003 doesn't work :/
    There is some non standard procedure to upgrade it?

  2. Re: windows 2003 on SGI 540...

    Sulle Tracce wrote:

    > Is is possible to install windows 2003 server on a SGI 540
    > workstation?

    No. No way.

    > I have installed windows 2000 server but upgrading to 2003 doesn't
    > work :/ There is some non standard procedure to upgrade it?

    Yes. Replace the SGI540 with a system that has a BIOS instead of the PROM
    and that's compatible with W2k3 server. Or stick with W2k...

    Benjamin

  3. Re: windows 2003 on SGI 540...

    > > I have installed windows 2000 server but upgrading to 2003 doesn't
    > > work :/ There is some non standard procedure to upgrade it?

    > Yes. Replace the SGI540 with a system that has a BIOS instead of the PROM
    > and that's compatible with W2k3 server. Or stick with W2k...

    This doesn't help...

  4. Re: windows 2003 on SGI 540...

    P.O.W. wrote:
    > This doesn't help...

    It's the simple truth though.

    Regards,

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller

  5. Re: windows 2003 on SGI 540...

    P.O.W. wrote:

    >>> I have installed windows 2000 server but upgrading to 2003 doesn't
    >>> work :/ There is some non standard procedure to upgrade it?

    >> Yes. Replace the SGI540 with a system that has a BIOS instead of the
    >> PROM and that's compatible with W2k3 server. Or stick with W2k...

    > This doesn't help...

    Sure. But what should I say to someone who tries to install an operating
    system that's totally incompatible with the target system? This is not a
    usual PC, it's some kind of bastard from a PC and a workstation. And besides
    some odd Linux port it only runs SGIs WindowsNT and plain Windows2000.

    That's life...

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread