SGI as an X terminal - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI as an X terminal - SGI ; Hi all, I have an 02 that i'd like to use to connect to a remote solaris system via X. I can do this from my mac (Panther) no problem using #/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query 192.168.1.8 .... but having a few problems ...

  1. SGI as an X terminal

    Hi all,

    I have an 02 that i'd like to use to connect to a remote solaris
    system via X. I can do this from my mac (Panther) no problem using

    #/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query 192.168.1.8

    .... but having a few problems with the o2

    I've stopped the gfx with /usr/gfx/stopgfx and now get a command only
    login.

    When I try and start Xsgi as it spits out the following error...

    # Xsgi -query 192.168.1.8
    Xsgi0[13500]: crmInit: CRIME_INITIALIZE failed: Resource temporarily
    unavailable
    Xsgi0[13500]:
    Xsgi0[13500]: Fatal server error:
    Xsgi0[13500]: no screens found

    # chkconfig
    Flag State
    ==== =====

    acct off
    array off
    audit off
    autoconfig_ipaddress off
    autofs on
    automount off
    desktop on
    esp off
    fcagent off
    flexlm off
    fontserver off
    fw_cups off
    fw_mcserv off
    fw_mysql off
    fw_netplan off
    fw_sharity off
    fw_slpd off
    fw_sshd off
    gated off
    ipaliases on
    isdnd off
    lockd on
    lp on
    mediad on
    mrouted off
    named off
    nds off
    network on
    nfs on
    noiconlogin off
    nostickytmp off
    ns_admin off
    ns_fasttrack off
    nsd on
    pmcd off
    pmie off
    privileges on
    proclaim_relayagent off
    proclaim_server off
    proxymngr off
    quickpage off
    rarpd off
    routed on
    rsvpd off
    rtmond on
    rwhod off
    samba off
    sar off
    savecore on
    sendmail on
    sendmail_cf on
    sesdaemon off
    sgi_apache on
    siflexlm on
    snetd on
    soundscheme on
    sysevent on
    timed on
    timeslave off
    ts on
    verbose on
    visuallogin on
    vswap off
    webface off
    webface_apache off
    winbind off
    windowsystem off
    xdm on
    xlv off
    yp off
    ypmaster off
    ypserv off
    #

    Any tips as to what I'm doing wrong much appreciated..

    Thanks in advance,

    Pete

  2. Re: SGI as an X terminal

    Pete wrote:
    > # Xsgi -query 192.168.1.8
    > Xsgi0[13500]: crmInit: CRIME_INITIALIZE failed: Resource temporarily
    > unavailable
    > Xsgi0[13500]:
    > Xsgi0[13500]: Fatal server error:
    > Xsgi0[13500]: no screens found

    Xsgi is not Xfree86.

    You could try putting the -query flag in the Xservers file, but there might still
    be problems with X authorization.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  3. Re: SGI as an X terminal

    > Xsgi is not Xfree86.
    >
    > You could try putting the -query flag in the Xservers file, but there might

    still be problems with X authorization.

    Hmmm... does the above error message indicate a problem starting X or
    a problem contacting the remote host? I'm starting to think it might
    be the former, and it's bailing out before it even tries to make a net
    connection...

    P.

  4. Re: SGI as an X terminal

    Pete wrote:

    >>Xsgi is not Xfree86.
    >>
    >>You could try putting the -query flag in the Xservers file, but there might

    > still be problems with X authorization.
    >
    > Hmmm... does the above error message indicate a problem starting X or
    > a problem contacting the remote host?

    A problem contacting local gfx that hasn't been initialized
    properly, or a local XDM that's still prowling around and
    preventing an X server to start.

    One hint about the initialisation: /var/X11/xdm/Xservers starts "X", not "Xsgi"...

    I missed that in your post, but now it's dawning on me...the call sequence is
    xdm->X->Xsgi, and while you want to do without the first, you need the
    second to initialize the CRM graphics.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  5. Re: SGI as an X terminal

    > I missed that in your post, but now it's dawning on me...the call sequence is
    > xdm->X->Xsgi, and while you want to do without the first, you need the
    > second to initialize the CRM graphics.

    Thanks Alexis ... finally got it working...

    I got it to work by turning on the windowingsystem

    # chkconfig windowsystem on

    and starting with

    # /usr/bin/X11/X -query 192.168.1.8

    .... just need to work on the little tweaks now ... stop the sound
    click when typing ... fix the font problems ... find out a way to
    return to command prompt other than telneting and killing X remotely
    .... blah blah etc etc ...

    .... oh well... :-)

    Cheers,

    P.

  6. Re: SGI as an X terminal

    > I got it to work by turning on the windowingsystem
    >
    > # chkconfig windowsystem on
    >
    > and starting with
    >
    > # /usr/bin/X11/X -query 192.168.1.8

    Okay it *was* all working, now I can't re-create it.

    now when I "chkconfig windowsystem on" I get automatically logged out.
    Log in and issue /usr/gfx/stopgfx, then try and start X and get
    "windowsystem is not running". "chkconfig windowsystem on" and it's
    catch 22....

    Hmm I don't think I've fiddled with anything, so what gives?

    TIA.

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread