xfs_repair on root filesystem - device busy error - SGI

This is a discussion on xfs_repair on root filesystem - device busy error - SGI ; Hy, I have been consulting the SGI-books on repairing the root filesystem. and I read the group postings for "xfs_repair on /" from 1999 and 2001. (Like the one attached - Ralf if you read that, maybe you can help ...

  1. xfs_repair on root filesystem - device busy error

    Hy,

    I have been consulting the SGI-books on repairing the root
    filesystem.
    and I read the group postings for "xfs_repair on /" from 1999 and
    2001.
    (Like the one attached - Ralf if you read that, maybe you can help
    me...)
    So I do everything thats mentioned in there and get the following
    error:
    umount /dev/root
    /dev/root: device busy.

    Well - how do I get out of /dev/root to unmount it in the miniroot ?
    WHen I type "sh pwd" in the admin-part of the miniroot, I get "/" as
    an answer.
    Should I be somewhere else ? Where should xfs_repair be ? (Currently,
    it is in /sbin/xfs_repair).

    Thanks,
    Christian Stemmer

    christianstemmer_at_ism.mw.tu-dresden.de (replace _at_ by the @-sign
    from
    e-mail address ...)

    Posting from 2001:

    Run xfs_repair and xfs_check on an unmounted filesystem.

    Unmount any optional internal or external disk and run
    /usr/sbin/xfs_check and /usr/sbin/xfs_repair with the
    respective disk as target.

    If you want to repair the local root filesystem, use the
    miniroot. In this case do the following:

    1. Load the miniroot, go to admin and select sh.

    2. You should have xfs_repair and xfs_check in
    /root/usr/sbin.

    3. Copy xfs_repair and xfs_check from /root/usr/sbin
    into /sbin if not there.

    4. Unmount /root to be checked.

    5. cd to /sbin and run xfs_repair and xfs_check on
    the xfs_special device under test.

    6. Leave admin and inst and restart the system.

    Regards
    Ralf Beyer
    --
    beyer.braunschweig@freenet.de

  2. Re: xfs_repair on root filesystem - device busy error

    Hi,
    boot off of installation tools cdrom for your irix 6.5.x install cd's

    go into mini root and at the inst menu do into admin (option 13 if I
    remember rightly) then go into a shell (can't remember the option number).

    umount the root mount /root I think but get it from df -k or mount output

    then run on an Octane xfs_repair64 /dev/dsk/dks0d1s7 or what ever your
    mount outputted as the disk device file.

    if running on an older sgi use xfs_repair instead of xfs_reapir64

    any probs mail me back

    kind regards

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Christian Stemmer wrote:

    > Hy,
    >
    > I have been consulting the SGI-books on repairing the root
    > filesystem.
    > and I read the group postings for "xfs_repair on /" from 1999 and
    > 2001.
    > (Like the one attached - Ralf if you read that, maybe you can help
    > me...)
    > So I do everything thats mentioned in there and get the following
    > error:
    > umount /dev/root
    > /dev/root: device busy.
    >
    > Well - how do I get out of /dev/root to unmount it in the miniroot ?
    > WHen I type "sh pwd" in the admin-part of the miniroot, I get "/" as
    > an answer.
    > Should I be somewhere else ? Where should xfs_repair be ? (Currently,
    > it is in /sbin/xfs_repair).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Christian Stemmer
    >

    > christianstemmer_at_ism.mw.tu-dresden.de (replace _at_ by the @-sign
    > from
    > e-mail address ...)
    >

    > ================================================== ========================
    > Posting from 2001:
    >
    > Run xfs_repair and xfs_check on an unmounted filesystem.
    >
    > Unmount any optional internal or external disk and run
    > /usr/sbin/xfs_check and /usr/sbin/xfs_repair with the
    > respective disk as target.
    >
    > If you want to repair the local root filesystem, use the
    > miniroot. In this case do the following:
    >
    > 1. Load the miniroot, go to admin and select sh.
    >
    > 2. You should have xfs_repair and xfs_check in
    > /root/usr/sbin.
    >
    > 3. Copy xfs_repair and xfs_check from /root/usr/sbin
    > into /sbin if not there.
    >
    > 4. Unmount /root to be checked.
    >
    > 5. cd to /sbin and run xfs_repair and xfs_check on
    > the xfs_special device under test.
    >
    > 6. Leave admin and inst and restart the system.
    >
    > Regards
    > Ralf Beyer
    > --
    > beyer.braunschweig@freenet.de

  3. Re: xfs_repair on root filesystem - device busy error

    Christian Stemmer wrote:
    > Hy,
    >
    > I have been consulting the SGI-books on repairing the root
    > filesystem.
    > and I read the group postings for "xfs_repair on /" from 1999 and
    > 2001.
    > (Like the one attached - Ralf if you read that, maybe you can help
    > me...)
    > So I do everything thats mentioned in there and get the following
    > error:
    > umount /dev/root
    > /dev/root: device busy.

    Inst> sh
    # cd /
    # umount /root/hw
    # umount /root
    # xfs_repair /dev/dsk/whatever
    # mount /dev/dsk/whatever /root
    # exit

    > Well - how do I get out of /dev/root to unmount it in the miniroot ?
    > WHen I type "sh pwd" in the admin-part of the miniroot, I get "/" as
    > an answer.
    > Should I be somewhere else ? Where should xfs_repair be ? (Currently,
    > it is in /sbin/xfs_repair).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Christian Stemmer
    >

    > christianstemmer_at_ism.mw.tu-dresden.de (replace _at_ by the @-sign
    > from
    > e-mail address ...)

  4. Re: xfs_repair on root filesystem - device busy error

    Hy,

    I don't want to spare this from you. I got a hint on my e-mail rather
    than through the news-group.
    I have three disks in the computer.
    So I need to unmount all other disks first, before I umount the root
    disk. Then it works.

    Thanks for your help,

    Christian

+ Reply to Thread