SGI backup between machines - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI backup between machines - SGI ; How do I create a channel between machines to perform a backup using xfsdump, tar, or dd. A channel that does not require me to disconnect the machine from the net? There must be a documented way somewhere to perform ...

  1. SGI backup between machines

    How do I create a channel between machines to perform a backup using
    xfsdump, tar, or dd. A channel that does not require me to disconnect
    the machine from the net?

    There must be a documented way somewhere to perform a disk ->ethernet
    -> disk backup.. Or disk -->ethernet -->tape on other machine.

    IRIX 6.1m or newer on all machines.

  2. Re: SGI backup between machines

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:17:51 -0400, No Mail wrote:
    > How do I create a channel between machines to perform a backup using
    > xfsdump, tar, or dd. A channel that does not require me to disconnect
    > the machine from the net?

    You could tar what you want to backup and pipe that through an rsh
    or ssh connection to a remote machine.

    I'm running in a safe environment so rsh is ok over here. I'm running
    a script regularly to make a backup of the most important stuff on my
    server system. It does little more than making tar files of individual
    directories which are written over the network to a NetBSD system. Here
    is an example:

    tar cf - /etc | gzip | rsh gerhard@sigma "dd of=/backups/iris/etc.tar.gz"

    I haven't looked at the ssh way to do it, but I guess it is not that
    different once things are set up.

    Gerhard

  3. Re: SGI backup between machines

    wrote:

    >How do I create a channel between machines to perform a backup using
    >xfsdump, tar, or dd. A channel that does not require me to disconnect
    >the machine from the net?
    >
    >There must be a documented way somewhere to perform a disk ->ethernet
    >-> disk backup.. Or disk -->ethernet -->tape on other machine.
    >
    >IRIX 6.1m or newer on all machines.

    That should have been been IRIX 6.5.16m -- not sure where the letters
    got lost -- that's what I get for using a Windows machine to post..

    Jim

  4. Re: SGI backup between machines

    In article ,
    No Mail writes:

    > How do I create a channel between machines to perform a backup using
    > xfsdump, tar, or dd. A channel that does not require me to disconnect
    > the machine from the net?
    >
    > There must be a documented way somewhere to perform a disk ->ethernet
    > -> disk backup.. Or disk -->ethernet -->tape on other machine.
    >
    > IRIX 6.1m or newer on all machines.

    How I do backups over the net:

    xfsdump -oF -l 0 -L osprey-root -M weekly -f orion:/dev/rmt/tps14d3nrvc /
    xfsdump -l 0 -L osprey-disk2 -f orion:/dev/rmt/tps14d3nrvc /disk2

    HTH,
    ~Steve

  5. Re: SGI backup between machines

    Assuming that your clients trust your server, then for a PRIVATE
    network you can use rsh (for a machine connected in any way to the
    internet this is grossly insecure):

    SERVER> rsh client xfsdump -f - >server-dump-file

    Explanation:

    The server's shell will parse the line as rsh

  6. Re: SGI backup between machines

    I like your solution Martin... but one comment on the rsh being
    insecure. I totally agree and have a thought if somebody might choose
    to use this as their backup method.

    Keep rsh disabled via /etc/inetd.conf and write a little script to run
    via cron that re-enables it (and if you had the 'rsh' line at the bottom
    of the inetd.conf file this might be easier... ), HUP's inetd, and
    *then* does the xfsdump.

    You just then have a cronjob that runs a bit later that disables rsh to
    make things more secure again.

    I know there's probably many variations on this theme that one could
    do... but it's the idea that I'm going for. There's no rule that says
    you *have* to leave rsh open all the time if you don't want to. I know
    for the systems I administer, I've got a root crontab entry on all
    systems that at a specific time turns on the world read bit for a
    particular file that I don't normally want the average user to see. I
    then at the same time have a cronjob scheduled on another system (a
    non-priviliged user) that does a scp of the file out to a central system
    for the purposes of having a secondary daily, overwritten copy of this
    particular file. Then a bit later the cronjob runs and turns back off
    the world write bit.

    So there are ways...

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

+ Reply to Thread