Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ? - SGI

This is a discussion on Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ? - SGI ; Hi The CDROM in my trusty O2 has died.... Can I replace it with any used Macintosh CDROM drive? or must it be some specific O2 drive ? and a CD-RW drive ... is that possible at all ? -- ...

  1. Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ?

    --
    kind regards

    nse

    "Ach, crivens, what a wee snotter....."

    Quote from "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett

  2. Re: Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ?

    Niels Eliasen wrote:

    > The CDROM in my trusty O2 has died....
    > Can I replace it with any used Macintosh CDROM drive?
    > or must it be some specific O2 drive ?
    > and a CD-RW drive ... is that possible at all ?

    Be warned that not all cdroms will fit the O2 case.
    The plastic parts are problematic since you don't
    directly push the eject button yourself.
    I got a Toshiba cdrom after I found out that a Plextor
    won't work.

    mfg
    Dennis

    --
    Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't make eight cats pull a sled through
    the snow.

  3. Re: Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ?

    Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

    > Niels Eliasen wrote:
    >
    >>The CDROM in my trusty O2 has died....
    >>Can I replace it with any used Macintosh CDROM drive?
    >>or must it be some specific O2 drive ?
    >>and a CD-RW drive ... is that possible at all ?

    > Be warned that not all cdroms will fit the O2 case.
    > The plastic parts are problematic since you don't
    > directly push the eject button yourself.
    > I got a Toshiba cdrom after I found out that a Plextor
    > won't work.

    You can also replace it with a Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD drive. Fits
    perfectly, no modifications needed (except, maybe, its firmware. Needs
    to be at least 1.009 IIRC)

    Rainer

    > mfg
    > Dennis

  4. Re: Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ?

    > You can also replace it with a Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD drive. Fits
    > perfectly, no modifications needed (except, maybe, its firmware. Needs
    > to be at least 1.009 IIRC)

    Does that mean what I think it means: DVD drive + mplayer / xine / XMMS and
    you can play DVDs on IRIX?

  5. Re: Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ?

    UNIX admin wrote:
    > Does that mean what I think it means: DVD drive + mplayer / xine / XMMS and
    > you can play DVDs on IRIX?

    Last time I looked (last year), the Xine DVD code was Linux centric and
    was not ported to IRIX. Xine on IRIX will play video files but not a DVD.

    Brandon Corey wrote IRIXDiVX which can play unencrypted DVDs.

    http://www.blackboxcentral.com/sgimonkey/index.html

    Ivan
    --
    Ivan Rayner
    ivanr@sgi.com

  6. Re: Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ?

    Niels Eliasen wrote:
    > Hi
    > The CDROM in my trusty O2 has died....
    > Can I replace it with any used Macintosh CDROM drive?
    > or must it be some specific O2 drive ?
    > and a CD-RW drive ... is that possible at all ?

    Iīm currently working on a LG GSA-4081B DVD multiwriter,
    together with an ACARD 7720 SCSIDE adaptor in my O2 R7k.
    That didnīt work in my Indigo2 R10k unfortunately :-(

    The O2 plastic parts fit or can easily can be adapted to
    it with a knife, mechanically better are only the Toshiba
    OEM drives SGI used.

    As soon as I have the machine running - itīs waiting for
    a 600MHz CPU upgrade :-) - I will post some note here and
    pics at nekochan.net.

    Cheers!
    Walther.

  7. Re: Replacement for CDROM on a O2 ?

    Walther wrote:
    [...]
    > As soon as I have the machine running - itīs waiting for
    > a 600MHz CPU upgrade :-) - I will post some note here and
    > pics at nekochan.net.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Walther.

    OK, here you are: