dd the whole disk? - SGI

This is a discussion on dd the whole disk? - SGI ; Moin, I want to copy the whole disk of my old INDIGO II through the network to an other (Linux) Computer to have a bootable backup if the original disk crash. But which is the device for the whole disk ...

  1. dd the whole disk?

    Moin,

    I want to copy the whole disk of my old INDIGO II through the network to
    an other (Linux) Computer to have a bootable backup if the original disk
    crash. But which is the device for the whole disk under IRIX (6.2)?
    Something like /dev/dsk/ ..... but than? As mentioned before: I wont to
    copy the whole disk, not the single partitions.

    Thanks for answers

    --

    |Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
    |D-72072 Tuebingen Germany |
    |Germany Don't drink as root! ESC:wq

  2. Re: dd the whole disk?

    Michael Renner wrote:

    > Moin,
    >
    > I want to copy the whole disk of my old INDIGO II through the network to
    > an other (Linux) Computer to have a bootable backup if the original disk
    > crash. But which is the device for the whole disk under IRIX (6.2)?
    > Something like /dev/dsk/ ..... but than? As mentioned before: I wont to
    > copy the whole disk, not the single partitions.
    >
    > Thanks for answers

    Under /dev/rdsk -- it's the "vol" device.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  3. Re: dd the whole disk?

    Michael Renner wrote:

    > Moin,
    >
    > I want to copy the whole disk of my old INDIGO II through the network to
    > an other (Linux) Computer to have a bootable backup if the original disk
    > crash. But which is the device for the whole disk under IRIX (6.2)?
    > Something like /dev/dsk/ ..... but than? As mentioned before: I wont to
    > copy the whole disk, not the single partitions.
    >
    > Thanks for answers

    i bet your linux computer crashes before the indigo2

    > --
    >
    > |Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
    > |D-72072 Tuebingen Germany |
    > |Germany Don't drink as root! ESC:wq