installing IRIX for dummies - need links ... - SGI

This is a discussion on installing IRIX for dummies - need links ... - SGI ; or direct help thanks...

  1. installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    or direct help

    thanks

  2. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/

    Or if you have a *specific* question that you can't find in the above
    mentioned docs, post it here.

  3. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    in article 41038663$0$1944$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch, UNIX admin at
    tripivceta@hotmail.com wrote on 7/25/04 11:07 AM:

    > http://techpubs.sgi.com/
    >
    > Or if you have a *specific* question that you can't find in the above
    > mentioned docs, post it here.

    ive just installed ... uname -R shows 6.5 6.5.14f
    but i have only shell window after login

  4. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    totem wrote:
    > in article 41038663$0$1944$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch, UNIX admin at
    > tripivceta@hotmail.com wrote on 7/25/04 11:07 AM:
    >

    >>http://techpubs.sgi.com/
    >>
    >>Or if you have a *specific* question that you can't find in the above
    >>mentioned docs, post it here.
    >>

    > ive just installed ... uname -R shows 6.5 6.5.14f
    > but i have only shell window after login

    a X-y to kto zainstaluje sw Mikolaj... ?

  5. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    > ive just installed ... uname -R shows 6.5 6.5.14f
    > but i have only shell window after login

    A little bit more info would be helpful ("it doesn't work" doesn't help
    others help you)?

    - how did you install: what commands did you give to `inst`? For example,
    "keep *, install standard", etcetera?
    - what did you install onto? Obviously you're not going to get a graphical
    login if you installed IRIX on a headless Origin200 or a PowerChallenge
    (X)L.
    - how much disk space was available for the install, and how much is there
    now (`df -h`)?
    - ALL the CDs you used ("I just used 6.5 base and 6.5.14 overlays" doesn't
    help)
    - how did you resolve conflicts (dependencies)?

  6. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    in article 410411b2$0$1956$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch, UNIX admin at
    tripivceta@hotmail.com wrote on 7/25/04 9:01 PM:

    >> ive just installed ... uname -R shows 6.5 6.5.14f
    >> but i have only shell window after login

    > A little bit more info would be helpful ("it doesn't work" doesn't help
    > others help you)?
    >
    > - how did you install: what commands did you give to `inst`? For example,
    > "keep *, install standard", etcetera?
    > - what did you install onto? Obviously you're not going to get a graphical
    > login if you installed IRIX on a headless Origin200 or a PowerChallenge
    > (X)L.
    > - how much disk space was available for the install, and how much is there
    > now (`df -h`)?
    > - ALL the CDs you used ("I just used 6.5 base and 6.5.14 overlays" doesn't
    > help)
    > - how did you resolve conflicts (dependencies)?

    i did full istall once again
    and now it all ok ... thanks god (i was going to sell my octane away)

    thanks for help :-))

  7. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    > i did full istall once again
    > and now it all ok ... thanks god (i was going to sell my octane away)

    You were gonna sell an Octane just because you couldn't install IRIX
    properly to get an X login window?
    ....Things that one can read on usenet. Wow.
    Well, next time such a 'wonderful' thought occurs to you, make sure you send
    me an e-mail... I'll be the one buying it!

  8. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    UNIX admin wrote:
    >> i did full istall once again
    >> and now it all ok ... thanks god (i was going to sell my octane away)

    > You were gonna sell an Octane just because you couldn't install IRIX
    > properly to get an X login window?
    > ...Things that one can read on usenet. Wow.
    > Well, next time such a 'wonderful' thought occurs to you, make sure you send
    > me an e-mail... I'll be the one buying it!

    hey, my second origin 2000 purchase was due to the seller being unable to
    load redhat linux on it after reading sgi was a linux company in some trade
    rag.

    the deals you can find...

  9. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    cosmos wrote:
    > UNIX admin wrote:
    >
    >>>i did full istall once again
    >>>and now it all ok ... thanks god (i was going to sell my octane away)

    >>You were gonna sell an Octane just because you couldn't install IRIX
    >>properly to get an X login window?
    >>...Things that one can read on usenet. Wow.
    >>Well, next time such a 'wonderful' thought occurs to you, make sure you send
    >>me an e-mail... I'll be the one buying it!
    >>

    > hey, my second origin 2000 purchase was due to the seller being unable to
    > load redhat linux on it after reading sgi was a linux company in some trade
    > rag.
    >
    > the deals you can find...

    and now _you_'ve managed to install Redhat? Admirable...

    SCNR
    Rainer

  10. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    > and now _you_'ve managed to install Redhat? Admirable...

    No, he managed to get an Origin2000 cheap, he heh.

  11. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    UNIX admin wrote:
    >> and now _you_'ve managed to install Redhat? Admirable...

    > No, he managed to get an Origin2000 cheap, he heh.

    2 of them...

  12. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    > 2 of them...

    You're the source of my envy right now! Did you NUMAlink them? How much is
    your monthly electricity bill?

  13. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    UNIX admin wrote:
    >> 2 of them...

    > You're the source of my envy right now! Did you NUMAlink them? How much is
    > your monthly electricity bill?

    they are deskside so no. if i run all of my equip the elec bill is nearly
    equal to my rent...

    time for a house so i can utilize those refinance loans to pay for the
    electric bill!

  14. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    > they are deskside so no. if i run all of my equip the elec bill is nearly
    > equal to my rent...
    >
    > time for a house so i can utilize those refinance loans to pay for the
    > electric bill!

    Or you could come up with a viable business model and have those nice
    machines pay for themselves!

  15. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    cosmos wrote:

    > time for a house so i can utilize those refinance loans to pay for the
    > electric bill!

    Or you could pirate electricity off the nearest street light,
    or bypass your electric meter.

    It's no different than using Maya, Photoshop, or Premiere without a license!

    --
    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com

  16. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    > Or you could pirate electricity off the nearest street light,
    > or bypass your electric meter.
    >
    > It's no different than using Maya, Photoshop, or Premiere without a

    license!

    Uh, yeah... except that's a little tricker to do than pirate SW. It has to
    be designed such that when the meter reader person comes, they don't notice
    a thing, which isn't always possible. And the utility company will notice a
    power drop on the grid. If they keep seeing a constant power drop at the
    specific point, they'll most likely investigate. If you can design a system
    that can be disconnected/dissasembled in mere seconds from when the utility
    company knocks at your door, more power to you (in this case, literally).
    Otherwise, it's either coming up with a viable business model, installing
    sollar cells on the roof of your home, or both.

  17. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    "UNIX admin" writes:

    > Otherwise, it's either coming up with a viable business model, installing
    > sollar cells on the roof of your home, or both.

    Running SGIs on the Sun? That's got to be the weirdest idea yet :-)

  18. Re: installing IRIX for dummies - need links ...

    Le Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:17:50 -0600, Greg Douglas a écrit*:

    > It's no different than using Maya, Photoshop, or Premiere without a
    > license!

    It's entirely different. When you use Maya or Photoshop without license,
    it doesn't cost anything to the software company; but when you steal
    electricity (or any other real product) it actually costs to the
    power company.

    --
    on passe la moitié de son temps à refaire ce que l'on n'a pas eu le
    temps de faire correctement.

+ Reply to Thread