Was there *ever* a third-party book on IRIX or SGI computers? - SGI

This is a discussion on Was there *ever* a third-party book on IRIX or SGI computers? - SGI ; I am new to the SGI seen, in fact I am still waiting to win an auction so I'll have one. But I am hanging out here to learn what I can. The most helpful realization has been that in ...

  1. Was there *ever* a third-party book on IRIX or SGI computers?

    I am new to the SGI seen, in fact I am still waiting to win an auction so
    I'll have one. But I am hanging out here to learn what I can. The most
    helpful realization has been that in fact SGI's support area has an
    incredible set of PDF files that should explain just about everything I
    could want to know about their OS. I have also benefitted from the links to
    SGI-related websites that have been posted here.

    That said, I enjoy reading third-party books about a technology because the
    author will often present opinions that differ from the official version
    about why something was done the way it was. In the Unix world, where every
    hardware-specific OS has its own idiosyncracies, awareness that IRIX is not
    the only OS that ever existed is valuable. Thus, can anyone recommend a book
    not published by SGI that covers IRIX or the unique SGI hardware? I found
    AIX books when I owned a PowerPC Thinkpad, I owned a third-party HP-UX book
    when I briefly used on back in '96, and there are dozens of Solaris books.
    Is there not even one of IRIX???

    Also, I understand that IRIX "support" was removed from Evi Nemeth's Unix
    System Administration Handbook in favor of Linux for the third edition. The
    second edition from 1996 is available cheap. Does anyone have experience
    with that version? Is it still useful for a 6.2 or 6.5 admin?

    Thanks so much for any replies!

  2. Re: Was there *ever* a third-party book on IRIX or SGI computers?

    In article ,
    Mandy Moore wrote:
    [ ]
    >That said, I enjoy reading third-party books about a technology because the
    >author will often present opinions that differ from the official version
    >about why something was done the way it was. In the Unix world, where every
    >hardware-specific OS has its own idiosyncracies, awareness that IRIX is not
    >the only OS that ever existed is valuable. Thus, can anyone recommend a book
    >not published by SGI that covers IRIX or the unique SGI hardware? I found

    The first and second editions of
    Essential System Adminstration
    Aeleen Frisch
    Pub by OReilly
    covers IRIX system admin. The Second edition is the one you want.
    I think it's a good book.
    The 3rd edition drops IRIX, unfortunately.

    There are 3rd party books about MIPS. The most recent is perhaps
    See MIPS Run
    by Sweetman
    Pub by Morgan Kaufman.
    It is focussed on the use of MIPS in embedded computing, not
    IRIX. It's a good book.

    Regards,
    David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea

  3. Re: Was there *ever* a third-party book on IRIX or SGI computers?

    Mandy Moore wrote:

    > I am new to the SGI seen, in fact I am still waiting to win an auction so
    > I'll have one. But I am hanging out here to learn what I can. The most
    > helpful realization has been that in fact SGI's support area has an
    > incredible set of PDF files that should explain just about everything I
    > could want to know about their OS. I have also benefitted from the links to
    > SGI-related websites that have been posted here.
    >
    > That said, I enjoy reading third-party books about a technology because the
    > author will often present opinions that differ from the official version
    > about why something was done the way it was. In the Unix world, where every
    > hardware-specific OS has its own idiosyncracies, awareness that IRIX is not
    > the only OS that ever existed is valuable. Thus, can anyone recommend a book
    > not published by SGI that covers IRIX or the unique SGI hardware? I found
    > AIX books when I owned a PowerPC Thinkpad, I owned a third-party HP-UX book
    > when I briefly used on back in '96, and there are dozens of Solaris books.
    > Is there not even one of IRIX???
    >
    > Also, I understand that IRIX "support" was removed from Evi Nemeth's Unix
    > System Administration Handbook in favor of Linux for the third edition. The
    > second edition from 1996 is available cheap. Does anyone have experience
    > with that version? Is it still useful for a 6.2 or 6.5 admin?
    >
    > Thanks so much for any replies!

    "The Magic Garden Explained" is a great book for sgi. It's not SGI
    specific, but all the examples are R3000 MIPS based. It's a system V
    internals book.

+ Reply to Thread