problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m - SGI

This is a discussion on problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m - SGI ; So, I have this Origin 2000 box. It's running IRIX 6.5.19m. I downloaded the files to upgrade it to 6.5.24, but when I used inst to uprade it and rebooted, when I did "uname -R" it came up as 6.5.19 ...

  1. problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    So, I have this Origin 2000 box. It's running IRIX 6.5.19m. I
    downloaded the files to upgrade it to 6.5.24, but when I used inst to
    uprade it and rebooted, when I did "uname -R" it came up as 6.5.19
    again. So, I tried upgrading to 6.5.22 instead -- still no dice. It
    still thinks its 6.5.19, and on top of which, it doesn't want to
    reboot -- use of /etc/reboot causes nothing to happen. I don't know if
    that's related at all.

    Anyone see symptoms like this before? A machine that "refuses" to
    upgrade? Heck, inst claims 6.5.22 is a downgrade, even though "uname
    -R" still treturns 6.5.19...

    -Kirt A. Dankmyer

  2. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:34:29 -0400, Kirt Dankmyer
    wrote:

    >So, I have this Origin 2000 box. It's running IRIX 6.5.19m. I
    >downloaded the files to upgrade it to 6.5.24, but when I used inst to
    >uprade it and rebooted, when I did "uname -R" it came up as 6.5.19
    >again. So, I tried upgrading to 6.5.22 instead -- still no dice. It
    >still thinks its 6.5.19, and on top of which, it doesn't want to
    >reboot -- use of /etc/reboot causes nothing to happen. I don't know if
    >that's related at all.
    >
    >Anyone see symptoms like this before? A machine that "refuses" to
    >upgrade? Heck, inst claims 6.5.22 is a downgrade, even though "uname
    >-R" still treturns 6.5.19...

    By the way, before anyone asks, I DID install the required patch to
    inst required to be able to install the latest versions of IRIX.

  3. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    xiombarg> Anyone see symptoms like this before? A machine that
    xiombarg> "refuses" to upgrade? Heck, inst claims 6.5.22 is a
    xiombarg> downgrade, even though "uname -R" still treturns 6.5.19...

    uname -R comes from running kernel, inst has its own version tracking.
    Try 'showprods eoe.sw.base'. If you're running .19, it will show

    eoe 06/14/2003 IRIX Execution Environment, 6.5.19

    or 6.5.22. Or 6.5.24. If showprods confirms that you have .24
    installed, check why kernel is not build:

    autoconfig -v -f

    max

  4. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    Thank you!

    On 22 Jul 2004 15:57:57 +1000, Max Matveev
    wrote:

    >uname -R comes from running kernel, inst has its own version tracking.
    >Try 'showprods eoe.sw.base'. If you're running .19, it will show
    >
    > eoe 06/14/2003 IRIX Execution Environment, 6.5.19
    >
    >or 6.5.22. Or 6.5.24. If showprods confirms that you have .24
    >installed, check why kernel is not build:
    >
    >autoconfig -v -f

    You're absolutely right. showprods gives 6.5.24, which is interesting.

    I ran autoconfig as per your suggestion, and I got this:

    Driver not found for ide device
    lboot:WARNING:stune file '/var/sysgen/stune' line 17:unknown tunable
    parameter 'gather_craylink_routerstats' - Ignoring

    ....followed by a couple very long "TOOLROOT" lines. When it was done
    "uname -R" still shows 6.5.19, I assume I need to reboot...

    -Kirt

  5. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    xiombarg> I ran autoconfig as per your suggestion, and I got this:

    xiombarg> Driver not found for ide device
    xiombarg> lboot:WARNING:stune file '/var/sysgen/stune' line 17:unknown tunable
    xiombarg> parameter 'gather_craylink_routerstats' - Ignoring

    xiombarg> ...followed by a couple very long "TOOLROOT" lines. When it was done
    xiombarg> "uname -R" still shows 6.5.19, I assume I need to reboot...

    Yes. But before you do it, check if there is a file called
    /unix.install - this is your new Irix kernel. Then reboot. As the very
    last step in reboot process /unix.install is copied to /unix. If the
    reboot did not succeed, it must, really, you could consider booting a
    custom kernel - from prom (after hitting Escape while machine boots)
    go to '5', the 'boot -f unix.install' that should get you your new
    kernel.

    BTW, what kind of machine is this? Any "interesting" peripherals?

    max

  6. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    Thanks again for the help!

    On 23 Jul 2004 00:16:30 +1000, Max Matveev
    wrote:

    >BTW, what kind of machine is this? Any "interesting" peripherals?

    It's a fairly vanilla Origin 2000 box, with 8 processors. It's mainly
    used for data crunching. Nothing unusual on it at all as far as I
    know.

    Due to contract limitations, I'm not allowed to reboot the machines
    during business hours, so I'll let you know how it went as soon as I'm
    in a position to actually reboot. ;-D

    -Kirt

  7. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    >Yes. But before you do it, check if there is a file called
    >/unix.install - this is your new Irix kernel. Then reboot. As the very
    >last step in reboot process /unix.install is copied to /unix. If the
    >reboot did not succeed, it must, really, you could consider booting a
    >custom kernel - from prom (after hitting Escape while machine boots)
    >go to '5', the 'boot -f unix.install' that should get you your new
    >kernel.

    The file is there, but the problem is the machine doesn't seem to want
    to reboot. If I turn it off and on (keyed shutdown), that file is
    still there.

    Any clue why the machine won't reboot? It comes up from a key shutdown
    just fine.

    It's like this:

    myprompt:/> /etc/reboot -g0 -y

    **** Enter Reason for Shutdown ****
    Please select one of the following choices by number:

    1. Administrative
    2. Hardware upgrade
    3. Software upgrade
    4. Fix/replace hardware
    5. Install patch
    6. Fix software problem

    Enter Number (within 30 seconds): 1
    Shutdown started. Thu Jul 22 17:21:25 EDT 2004
    Broadcast Message from root (ttyq0) on mako Thu Jul 22 17:21:25 2004

    THE SYSTEM IS BEING SHUT DOWN! Log off now.

    myprompt:/>

    Now, normally after a few mins it would actually reboot from that
    point, but it doesn't. I've let it sit for hours...

    -Kirt

  8. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    > Yes. But before you do it, check if there is a file called
    > /unix.install - this is your new Irix kernel. Then reboot. As the very
    > last step in reboot process /unix.install is copied to /unix. If the
    > reboot did not succeed, it must, really, you could consider booting a
    > custom kernel - from prom (after hitting Escape while machine boots)
    > go to '5', the 'boot -f unix.install' that should get you your new
    > kernel.

    I'm sure Max meant to add to this: **always** make a copy of /unix
    as (typically) /unix.old. Then when the day comes that the new kernel
    won't boot (the day will come, believe me), you can boot from the old
    kernel, wipe your sweating brow and proudly announce that
    'professionals always have a backup ready'! :-)

  9. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    xiombarg> The file is there, but the problem is the machine doesn't
    xiombarg> seem to want to reboot. If I turn it off and on (keyed
    xiombarg> shutdown), that file is still there.

    So it should be - the script which copies it was not run.

    xiombarg> Any clue why the machine won't reboot? It comes up from a
    xiombarg> key shutdown just fine.

    reboot is a script, shutdown is a script, so you should be able to sh
    -x both of them. Also, 'chkconfig verbose on' could help with tracking
    the progress of boot/shutdown - it could be an init script which does
    not want to play.

    max

  10. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    Kirt Dankmyer wrote:
    >>Yes. But before you do it, check if there is a file called
    >>/unix.install - this is your new Irix kernel. Then reboot. As the very
    >>last step in reboot process /unix.install is copied to /unix. If the
    >>reboot did not succeed, it must, really, you could consider booting a
    >>custom kernel - from prom (after hitting Escape while machine boots)
    >>go to '5', the 'boot -f unix.install' that should get you your new
    >>kernel.

    > The file is there, but the problem is the machine doesn't seem to want
    > to reboot. If I turn it off and on (keyed shutdown), that file is
    > still there.
    >
    > Any clue why the machine won't reboot? It comes up from a key shutdown
    > just fine.
    >
    > It's like this:
    >
    > myprompt:/> /etc/reboot -g0 -y
    >
    > **** Enter Reason for Shutdown ****
    > Please select one of the following choices by number:
    >
    > 1. Administrative
    > 2. Hardware upgrade
    > 3. Software upgrade
    > 4. Fix/replace hardware
    > 5. Install patch
    > 6. Fix software problem
    >
    > Enter Number (within 30 seconds): 1
    > Shutdown started. Thu Jul 22 17:21:25 EDT 2004
    > Broadcast Message from root (ttyq0) on mako Thu Jul 22 17:21:25 2004
    >
    > THE SYSTEM IS BEING SHUT DOWN! Log off now.
    >
    > myprompt:/>
    >
    > Now, normally after a few mins it would actually reboot from that
    > point, but it doesn't. I've let it sit for hours...
    >
    > -Kirt

    If the system does not shutdown, you might have a startup script
    that never completed (and is still running).

    A key shutdown is not an Irix shutdown, it is a power off.

  11. Re: problems upgrading from IRIX 6.5.19m

    >If the system does not shutdown, you might have a startup script
    >that never completed (and is still running).

    And that's exactly what was going on. After fixing that script, I was
    able to reboot. Thanks to everyone for the help!

    -Kirt

+ Reply to Thread