***ERROR: Big memory allocation trouble!! - SGI

This is a discussion on ***ERROR: Big memory allocation trouble!! - SGI ; Hy, I've got this ERROR over night and have no idea what happened. There seems to be no breakin from the outside world (we have a firewall) and no processes were run from me over night. I searched support.sgi.com and ...

  1. ***ERROR: Big memory allocation trouble!!

    Hy,

    I've got this ERROR over night and have no idea what happened. There
    seems to be no breakin from the outside world (we have a firewall) and
    no processes were run from me over night.
    I searched support.sgi.com and www.google.com for an idea but found
    no match either.
    The Octane is running on 6.5.21m and there are three disks in the
    rack which have at least 1 BG free space each.

    Has anyone seen that error before ? I am baffled. Thanks very much.

    Christian Stemmer

    >% hinv

    2 250 MHZ IP30 Processors
    CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 3.4
    FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
    Main memory size: 2048 Mbytes
    Xbow ASIC: Revision 1.3
    Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
    Data cache size: 32 Kbytes

    >% df

    Filesystem Type blocks use avail %use Mounted on
    /dev/root xfs 8612952 6324080 2288872 74 /
    /dev/dsk/dks0d3s7 xfs 17771144 11330208 6440936 64 /disk3
    /dev/dsk/dks0d2s7 xfs 17771144 13854576 3916568 78 /home

  2. Re: ***ERROR: Big memory allocation trouble!!

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Christian Stemmer wrote:

    > I've got this ERROR over night and have no idea what happened. There
    > seems to be no breakin from the outside world (we have a firewall) and
    > no processes were run from me over night.
    > I searched support.sgi.com and www.google.com for an idea but found
    > no match either.

    Firewalls don't offer much protection these days if they allow
    mail and web traffic to Win32 PC's. Infested PC's can be probing
    the network with malformed packets (e.g., intended to cause a
    buffer overflow in Win32) that can cause problems for other platforms,
    either directly or by bogging down services like DNS or just hogging
    bandwidth.

    Switched ethernet may be more helpful than a firewall. Some
    sites put the Win32 machines behind a firewall to limit this sort
    of nonsense.

    In the past few days my Octane (6.5.22m) has been generating

    unix: WARNING: nfsauth(/opt): Remote system error while authenticating
    N.N.N.N with rpc.mountd

    messages for Indy, Indigo2 and an older linux clients. The linux client
    does "kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 512". I didn't find anything
    relevant on support.sgi.com or www.google.com.

    --
    George N. White III
    Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

  3. Re: ***ERROR: Big memory allocation trouble!!

    "George N. White III" wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Christian Stemmer wrote:
    >
    > > I've got this ERROR over night and have no idea what happened. There
    > > seems to be no breakin from the outside world (we have a firewall) and
    > > no processes were run from me over night.
    > > I searched support.sgi.com and www.google.com for an idea but found
    > > no match either.

    > Firewalls don't offer much protection these days if they allow
    > mail and web traffic to Win32 PC's. Infested PC's can be probing
    > the network with malformed packets (e.g., intended to cause a
    > buffer overflow in Win32) that can cause problems for other platforms,
    > either directly or by bogging down services like DNS or just hogging
    > bandwidth.
    >
    > Switched ethernet may be more helpful than a firewall. Some
    > sites put the Win32 machines behind a firewall to limit this sort
    > of nonsense.
    >
    > In the past few days my Octane (6.5.22m) has been generating
    >
    > unix: WARNING: nfsauth(/opt): Remote system error while authenticating
    > N.N.N.N with rpc.mountd
    >
    > messages for Indy, Indigo2 and an older linux clients. The linux client
    > does "kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 512". I didn't find anything
    > relevant on support.sgi.com or www.google.com.

    Dear George,

    thanks for your reply.
    We don't allow mailing or web traffic on this machine there is no web
    daemon. This is s strictly internal machine. We run on IRIX and it's
    not a WIN32 machine. I checked all the logs - there was no access from
    the oputside as far as I can tell.

    So I am still puzzled, what it means:

    ***ERROR: Big memory allocation trouble!!
    ***ERROR: Big memory allocation trouble!!

    Christian

+ Reply to Thread