I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me: - SGI

This is a discussion on I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me: - SGI ; On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:00:51 +0200, "UNIX admin" wrote: >> Actually what he, and others such as yourself, are demonstrating is >> how immature you are. The sad part is that you think your making a >> fool out ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

  1. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    wrote:

    >> Actually what he, and others such as yourself, are demonstrating is
    >> how immature you are. The sad part is that you think your making a
    >> fool out of me when you're really making fools of yourselves by acting
    >> like children over something so trivial. Any mature person can see
    >> this. But I'm sure you're blind to it because, as I said, mature
    >> people can see it.

    >I wouldn't take it too hard. SGI guys are a fun lot!

    Most of them are. Others, such as yourself, are just a bunch of
    immature children who are so insecure with yourself that you have to
    belittle people in order to feel good about yourselves.

    Starting a thread mocking what I said? Don't you have anything better
    to do with your time?

    >You'll see for yourself if you stick around long enough.

    Perhaps you should take your own advice and do a little research
    before assuming things. I've been here for a while...I know the
    group...well I thought that I did.

    >And when one is on Usenet, one is almost guaranteed to get busted at one
    >point or another.

    Busted on what? For asking a question?

    The sad thing is that you think that this is acceptable behavior. You
    prefer to mock people instead of helping them out. Why is that?

    >(Arrogant attitude is like a catalyst in those situations.)

    You should know...you display a sickening degree of it.

    Josh

  2. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    > Most of them are. Others, such as yourself, are just a bunch of
    > immature children who are so insecure with yourself that you have to
    > belittle people in order to feel good about yourselves.

    I wish I was a child; but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

    > Starting a thread mocking what I said? Don't you have anything better
    > to do with your time?

    Once again, you're not paying attention to detail. I did not start this
    thread.

    > Perhaps you should take your own advice and do a little research
    > before assuming things. I've been here for a while...I know the
    > group...well I thought that I did.

    Yes, that comes out clearly in your posts. Whatever.

    > Busted on what? For asking a question?

    No, for being arrogant (like you, for example.)

    > The sad thing is that you think that this is acceptable behavior. You
    > prefer to mock people instead of helping them out. Why is that?

    Would you actually be able to point out one single line I wrote anywhere
    that's mocking? I don't believe I have. Not only did I not mock anybody, but
    I also made an effort to explain some concepts to you, that you should have
    learned on your own anyway (docs are freely available), thereby investing my
    time and effort for your benefit. You haven't actually shown any gratitude,
    all you've done so far is berate (not that I expected any gratitude to begin
    with).

    Also, you may have noticed all the other posters get help without any
    mockery or condescension. Why do you feel you've been singled out (not by
    me though), more importantly, why do you believe that is?

    > You should know...you display a sickening degree of it.

    If you can show me one line where I wrote that I really know UNIX/IRIX, that
    I'm well versed in it, or that I'm superior, I will publicly apologize; for
    I have no problem with being humble.

  3. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    > Yep. I realize I'm fighting a losing battle. You can't hold a mature
    > discussion with immature people such as yourself.

    I propose you put aside that attitude and, if you're really interested in
    IRIX, start contributing to the group.
    If you have questions about IRIX that you can't find a clear answer to, or
    cannot find an answer at all, then I for one will be happy to answer,
    provided the answer is known to me. And my guess is, others will too,
    however I do not wish to write in their name.

  4. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    > That's what makes it sad idiot.

    Please, there is no need for personal insults. Insinuations or no, nobody
    here has called you names or personally insulted you. On the other hand,
    you've allowed yourself the freedom to call participants immature, childish,
    needing professional help, and having complexes. Now it's onto names. There
    is no need for that, and the above remark was uncalled for (all the OP did
    was write an observation).

  5. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    > Where do I click to get a directory listing? I'm baffled too. Point me in
    > the direction of control pannel

    Control panel? Uh-oh. You'll need the operator chair then too!

  6. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:10:52 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    wrote:

    >> Most of them are. Others, such as yourself, are just a bunch of
    >> immature children who are so insecure with yourself that you have to
    >> belittle people in order to feel good about yourselves.

    >I wish I was a child; but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
    >
    >> Starting a thread mocking what I said? Don't you have anything better
    >> to do with your time?

    >Once again, you're not paying attention to detail. I did not start this
    >thread.

    I would hope that you were intelligent enough to know that I was
    speaking from a figurative point of view and that "you" was referring
    to a collective group of people and not you specifically. But if you
    want to insist on being pedantic:

    Where did I say that you, specifically, started this thread?

    >> Perhaps you should take your own advice and do a little research
    >> before assuming things. I've been here for a while...I know the
    >> group...well I thought that I did.

    >Yes, that comes out clearly in your posts. Whatever.
    >
    >> Busted on what? For asking a question?

    >No, for being arrogant (like you, for example.)

    How have I been arrogant?

    >> The sad thing is that you think that this is acceptable behavior. You
    >> prefer to mock people instead of helping them out. Why is that?

    >Would you actually be able to point out one single line I wrote anywhere
    >that's mocking?

    Certainly:

    "...he's taking a stab at a certain inDUHvidual..."

    > I don't believe I have.

    I'm not surprised.

    >Not only did I not mock anybody, but I also made an effort to explain some
    >concepts to you,

    Yes you did. And you continue to act as if I didn't learn anything
    from your explanations.

    >that you should have learned on your own anyway (docs are freely available),

    I'm sure they are. But this newgroups is freely available too. Why is
    it so wrong to post a question here? I know, I know...I've been
    through this with the Sun guys (though I wasn't the one asking the
    question).

    >thereby investing my time and effort for your benefit.

    Do me a favor next time. Either answer the question without the
    commentary or don't answer it at all.

    > You haven't actually shown any gratitude, all you've done so far is berate
    > (not that I expected any gratitude to begin with).

    Why would anyone express gratitude towards someone who belittles them?

    >Also, you may have noticed all the other posters get help without any
    >mockery or condescension. Why do you feel you've been singled out (not by
    >me though), more importantly, why do you believe that is?

    Because they're will to be humble and get down on their knees and
    worship the l33t, k3wl d00dz where I will not?

    >> You should know...you display a sickening degree of it.

    >If you can show me one line where I wrote that I really know UNIX/IRIX, that
    >I'm well versed in it, or that I'm superior, I will publicly apologize; for
    >I have no problem with being humble.

    Once again you're not paying attention to the detail. Where did I
    claim you did any of this?

    Josh

  7. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:16:43 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    wrote:

    >> Yep. I realize I'm fighting a losing battle. You can't hold a mature
    >> discussion with immature people such as yourself.

    >I propose you put aside that attitude and, if you're really interested in
    >IRIX, start contributing to the group.

    You mean the attitude where I refuse to bow down on my knees to stroke
    your ego? Sorry, it's not going to happen.

    Josh

  8. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:20:18 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    wrote:

    >> That's what makes it sad idiot.

    >Please, there is no need for personal insults.

    What did you say earlier, oh yeah:

    "There were no insults, just obervations."

    >Insinuations or no, nobody here has called you names or personally insulted you.

    That all depends on your point of view. I already claimed that you
    insulted me but you passed them off as "just observations".

    >On the other hand, you've allowed yourself the freedom to call participants immature, childish,
    >needing professional help, and having complexes.

    That's the behavior that I've observed. If that weren't the case then
    the responses I've received to a simple question would not have been
    belittling. They would have, as wave++ did, just answered the question
    without the condescending commentary.

    >Now it's onto names.

    Just making observations.

    >There is no need for that, and the above remark was uncalled for (all the OP did
    >was write an observation).

    Then it's a good thing that I'm just making observations and not
    insults.

    Josh

  9. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    > You mean the attitude where I refuse to bow down on my knees to stroke
    > your ego? Sorry, it's not going to happen.

    No, the one where you're arrogant. As for myself, I would be a pathetic
    individual if I needed some virtual personality to stroke my ego.

    Give it a rest already. You could do us all a favor and be polite, unless
    you think that's above you, or not in your repertoire.

  10. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    > I would hope that you were intelligent enough to know that I was
    > speaking from a figurative point of view and that "you" was referring
    > to a collective group of people and not you specifically. But if you
    > want to insist on being pedantic:
    >
    > Where did I say that you, specifically, started this thread?

    Yes, I'm pedantic. It was unclear.

    > How have I been arrogant?

    "UNIX is old hat to me"
    "All you want is for someone to stroke your ego"

    It could go on an on, but I'm done trying to teach etiquette.

    > Certainly:
    >
    > "...he's taking a stab at a certain inDUHvidual..."

    Do you see "Josh McKee" anywhere in that sentence? Now, if you felt
    attacked by that sentence, that's an entirely different matter.

    > Yes you did. And you continue to act as if I didn't learn anything
    > from your explanations.

    Well, I only go by what you exhibit. If you did in fact learn something,
    I'm actually happy for you.

    > I'm sure they are. But this newgroups is freely available too. Why is

    Yes they are, but not for abuse. When you don't do your homework and ask a
    simple question that's been asked a million times and could have been looked
    up easily in a few seconds, you're abusing other people's effort and time.
    THAT is NOT what usenet is about, and if you think otherwise, you're sorely
    mistaken.

    > it so wrong to post a question here? I know, I know...I've been
    > through this with the Sun guys (though I wasn't the one asking the
    > question).

    I happen to be one of those "Sun guys", and comp.unix.solaris functions
    really well because we abide by certain principles. And as a side effect
    one can find tons and tons of extremely useful information that's not
    available anywhere else because people post quality stuff instead of
    questions that have been asked million-and-one times.

    > Do me a favor next time. Either answer the question without the
    > commentary or don't answer it at all.

    The ironic thing is, I'll do you a favor any time without question, so long
    as you're polite.

    > Why would anyone express gratitude towards someone who belittles them?

    I have not even made an attempt to belittle you or anyone else. Everything
    that I wrote were just statements based on observation, no more, no less.

    > Because they're will to be humble and get down on their knees and
    > worship the l33t, k3wl d00dz where I will not?

    Sorry, that was 20 years ago.

    > Once again you're not paying attention to the detail. Where did I
    > claim you did any of this?

    By claiming that I'm arrogant.
    Take it easy.

  11. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:41:49 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    wrote:

    >> I would hope that you were intelligent enough to know that I was
    >> speaking from a figurative point of view and that "you" was referring
    >> to a collective group of people and not you specifically. But if you
    >> want to insist on being pedantic:
    >>
    >> Where did I say that you, specifically, started this thread?

    >Yes, I'm pedantic. It was unclear.

    You were pedantic because you were attempting to fault me. Again.

    >> How have I been arrogant?

    >"UNIX is old hat to me"

    I see nothing arrogant about that statement. UNIX *is* old hat to me.
    If you look on Google you'll see that I've been participating in UNIX
    discussions for quite some time. Certainly enough to know that man
    pages are available.

    >"All you want is for someone to stroke your ego"

    If that's not correct then why the insistence that I be humble when
    asking questions? It's not as if I was uncivil when I asked the
    original question.

    >It could go on an on, but I'm done trying to teach etiquette.

    And you would be wrong with those examples just as you are with the
    two you've already provided.

    >> Certainly:
    >>
    >> "...he's taking a stab at a certain inDUHvidual..."

    >Do you see "Josh McKee" anywhere in that sentence? Now, if you felt
    >attacked by that sentence, that's an entirely different matter.

    I think it's clearly obvious who the OP was referring to and I think
    it is clearly obvious who you were referencing. If I wasn't the one
    that you were referring to then who did you have in mind when you made
    that remark?

    Please...don't add dishonest to your list of faults.

    >> Yes you did. And you continue to act as if I didn't learn anything
    >> from your explanations.

    >Well, I only go by what you exhibit.

    And what did I exhibit that indicated that I didn't learn anything?

    >If you did in fact learn something, I'm actually happy for you.
    >
    >> I'm sure they are. But this newgroups is freely available too. Why is

    >Yes they are, but not for abuse.

    What's abusive about asking a question about IRIX in a newsgroup
    dedicated to addressing problems with SGI systems?

    >When you don't do your homework and ask a simple question that's been
    >asked a million times and could have been looked up easily in a few seconds,

    Irrelevant. That's the way you want it to be. Sorry, but I do not
    share your point of view. This is a public forum dedicated to
    answering questions about SGI systems. Since the question was right on
    topic for the newgroup there was nothing abusive about it.

    >you're abusing other people's effort and time.

    You're free not to ignore the question. I've already suggested this.
    It isn't hard.

    >THAT is NOT what usenet is about, and if you think otherwise, you're sorely
    >mistaken.

    That's not what YOUR view of usenet is about. Sorry, I don't share
    your point of view. I'll decided when, where, and how I want to
    perform my research. If I decide to post to usenet first then that's
    what I will do.

    >> it so wrong to post a question here? I know, I know...I've been
    >> through this with the Sun guys (though I wasn't the one asking the
    >> question).

    >I happen to be one of those "Sun guys", and comp.unix.solaris functions
    >really well because we abide by certain principles. And as a side effect
    >one can find tons and tons of extremely useful information that's not
    >available anywhere else because people post quality stuff instead of
    >questions that have been asked million-and-one times.
    >
    >> Do me a favor next time. Either answer the question without the
    >> commentary or don't answer it at all.

    >The ironic thing is, I'll do you a favor any time without question, so long
    >as you're polite.

    I was polite. And I was belittled.

    >> Why would anyone express gratitude towards someone who belittles them?

    >I have not even made an attempt to belittle you or anyone else.

    Sure you have. I already provided a reference to it.

    >Everything that I wrote were just statements based on observation, no more, no less.

    That depends on how you interpret them. I found them to be insulting.

    >> Because they're will to be humble and get down on their knees and
    >> worship the l33t, k3wl d00dz where I will not?

    >Sorry, that was 20 years ago.

    And?

    >> Once again you're not paying attention to the detail. Where did I
    >> claim you did any of this?

    >By claiming that I'm arrogant.

    You are arrogant. Your arrogant thinking that people should conform to
    your point of view about when/where/how/why to post questions here.

    Josh

  12. versions .... Was: I'm a Well Versed UNIX User

    The original problem: to determine the detailed
    OS version number is different for each OS and
    what you specifically mean by this "version" is
    often different on each platform. Some command
    line solutions include:

    IRIX: uname -R
    AIX: oslevel -r
    rpm-based linux installed kernels: rpm -q kernel
    linux currently running kernel: cat /proc/version
    macosx: sw_vers
    macosx underlying darwind release: uname -v

    --
    Daniel Packman
    NCAR/ACD

  13. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:20:10 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    wrote:

    >> You mean the attitude where I refuse to bow down on my knees to stroke
    >> your ego? Sorry, it's not going to happen.

    >No, the one where you're arrogant.

    How am I arrogant? By not bowing into your point of view?

    >As for myself, I would be a pathetic individual if I needed some virtual personality
    >to stroke my ego.

    By that criteria you are pathetic as you do need a virtual personality
    to stroke your ego. Or was your birth name "UNIX admin"?

    >Give it a rest already. You could do us all a favor and be polite, unless
    >you think that's above you, or not in your repertoire.

    I was polite. And I requested the same in return. And this is the end
    result. I suggest you heed your own advice, drop the insistence that
    everyone conform to your point of view and move on.

    Josh

  14. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    Josh McKee wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:29:31 GMT, "<<>>" wrote:
    >
    > >Josh McKee wrote:
    > >
    > >> The sad thing is that he's not.

    > >Mr. Syrix is a regular in the groups. Or at least I recall reading many
    > >of his posts. His post is intended as a parody of yours, and with it he
    > >is trying to mock you.

    > That's what makes it sad idiot.
    >
    > Josh

    this mudslinging would be a lot more fun if it had linux in it.

  15. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    SkyWriter wrote:

    > this mudslinging would be a lot more fun if it had linux in it.

    That's what I was trying to get to, but it didn't stick...

  16. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    Josh McKee wrote:

    > Yep. I realize I'm fighting a losing battle.

    Then you're doubly stupid to continue.

    > You can't hold a mature discussion with immature people
    > such as yourself.

    We aren't having a discussion thank god. I haven't even posted to your
    original thread. I thought maybe you'd shut up if someone told you to
    chill. No big deal, it's not hard to ignore someone who is useless on
    USENET. And the posts you are putting up are useless to others in this
    group excepting those who want to make fun of you or still have a chip
    on their shoulder from your first post.

    Maybe you didn't start out as a troll but that's what you are now. And
    you're the worst type of poster on USENET, the kind that has to have the
    last word. So as a peace offering from the group, and my way of saying
    *plonk*, I leave it to you. You can now have the last idiotic word, enjoy!

    Regards,

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller

  17. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    Let's look at this little exchange:

    Josh McKee wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:29:31 GMT, "<<>>" wrote:
    >> Josh McKee wrote:

    >>>The sad thing is that he's not.

    >> Mr. Syrix is a regular in the groups. Or at least I recall reading
    >> many of his posts. His post is intended as a parody of yours, and
    >> with it he is trying to mock you. [...]

    > That's what makes it sad idiot.
    >
    > Josh

    First it was sad ("the sad thing") that he *was not* joking.

    Then the fact that he *was* joking is what "makes it sad".

    And then a little insult, probably because you were feeling stupid right
    about then.

    Any how, these threads don't make you look very smart or coherent.
    Seems like you attack anyone in the group who bothers to respond to you.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're the idiot here.

    Regards,

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller

  18. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    Josh McKee wrote:

    > That last sentence is sad, it really is. There's no reason for it
    > except for a few l33t d00dz trying to "prove" how k3wl they are to the
    > other l33t d00dz.

    I'm sure you realise how old RFC1855 is -- you'll know that the concepts
    of RTFM, trolling and flame wars predate k3wl l33t doodz by a few decades.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  19. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    Hmmm, I have to admit that I'm coming in late to this, but I find it
    very amusing. I went back and looked up Josh's original thread as
    well. Very interesting, and it makes this thread even funnier.

    I decided to take Josh up on his original suggestion and Google him,
    in part to determine the answer to the question about what flavours of
    UNIX he was familiar with that he refused to answer.

    He cetainly does do a lot of posting. Here's a smattering of the
    groups he's been posting to (sticking to the comp.* heirarchy):

    comp.sys.mac.advocacy
    comp.unix.misc
    comp.sys.sun.admin
    comp.lang.c++
    comp.programming
    comp.multimedia
    comp.sys.sun.wanted
    comp.os.linux.advocacy
    comp.lang.pascal
    comp.sys.sun.hardware
    comp.unix.bsd.freebsd
    comp.groupware.lotus-notes

    Now, looking at the frequency of posting in a given newsgroup and the
    nature of said posts, I'd make a few guesses about Josh. I freely
    admit these are only guesses, based on limited knowlege.

    1. Josh likes to argue. His... touchy... behavior here has been
    consistent with his behavior on comp.sys.mac.advocacy ... Frankly, I
    wish he wouldn't bring that style of discourse here, but that's really
    his perogative, and it isn't like he hasn't been egged on.

    2. Josh's primary UNIX experience is with Solaris. I'll note that
    "uname -a" does what Josh expects under Solaris. Of course, as many
    have pointed out, different version of of UNIX behave differently when
    it comes to these things, and it only takes a second to check a man
    page.

    Why Josh was afraid to own up to his experience being mainly Solaris,
    I dunno. He does seem to have some experience with the free UNIX
    flavors like linux and Free BSD.

    3. I was going to claim that Josh is obviously a Mac user given the
    sheer number of posts on comp.sys.mac.advocacy, but, frankly, those
    posts were so convoluted and nit-picking (in my humble opinion) that
    it was tough to tell what Josh's opinion on a given issue was, other
    than his opponents were idiots. See point 1. At least on
    comp.sys.mac.advocacy, they seem to be used to Josh's... unique...
    form of discourse.

    I CAN conclude, however, that Josh does a bit of programming as part
    of his job. In fact, if he primarily considers himself a programmer
    rather than an administrator, that might explain his unwillingness do
    actually check a man page, which strikes me as more of an
    administrator's reaction to a problem.

    I present all this not to lambast Josh so much as to provide some
    context to Josh's behavior. Make of it what you will.

    -Kirt

  20. Re: I'ma Well Versed UNIX User But This Baffles Me:

    > I decided to take Josh up on his original suggestion and Google him,
    > in part to determine the answer to the question about what flavours of
    > UNIX he was familiar with that he refused to answer.

    Now that's what I'd call doing your homework on stuff. If you don't mind me
    asking (I'll shut up if I'm asking too much), are you a sysadmin?

    If your guesses are correct, a big ego + impatience + obvious lack of
    willingness to study documentation would indeed fall into the "developer"
    category.