I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions - SGI

This is a discussion on I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions - SGI ; Hello all, I spent the mid-90s lusting after an SGI box and have just noticed how cheap they are on eBay. The problem as I see it is getting an OS as these either are sold without one or with ...

  1. I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    Hello all,
    I spent the mid-90s lusting after an SGI box and have just noticed how cheap
    they are on eBay. The problem as I see it is getting an OS as these either
    are sold without one or with the root password unknown. I also have very
    little Unix experience, which is one reason I'd like to get one. SGI's web
    site quite obviously is geared towards those purchasing their new gear, so I
    came here. Can any of you give me advice on:

    How do I get an Irix for one of these without paying more than I will for
    the Indy itself?
    Do I have to have the latest Irix or how far back can I go and still have a
    useable machine (I just want to learn/play).
    With a <$20 adapter, I can hook an Indy up to my VGA monitor, right?
    I can use my PC mouse and keyboard, right?
    Are there any really cool apps I should download?/Any recommended web sites
    for "old" Indy users?

    I realize I could download Linux and install it on one of a number of unused
    PCs I have, but I played with one of those purple Indigo2's about a decade
    ago and really want an Indy with Irix. Please respond here as I have taken
    the usual spam measures.

    Thank you for your time!

  2. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    "Bishop Michael Sheridan" wrote in message news:...
    > Hello all,
    > I spent the mid-90s lusting after an SGI box and have just noticed how cheap
    > they are on eBay....

    I would recommend getting an O2 rather than an Indy. It'll be faster,
    have internal CD-ROM drive, more modern I/O, much cheaper video
    options, and has the HD15 "VGA" connector you're asking about. Be sure
    to get 192+ MB RAM.

    Shop around until you find a seller who can help you with your IRIX
    needs.

    Good reference material:
    http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/sgi.html
    http://techpubs.sgi.com
    http://www.nekochan.net/
    http://forums.nekochan.net/

  3. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    Thanks for the response. I'm sure your advice is logical, but part of my
    desire is emotional - I really liked the Indy and never even saw the models
    that came after it (and thus have no feeling for them). Thus, I'm going to
    keep trying for an Indy. Those links are valuable.
    Thanks again!

    news:66ce502.0407172115.463c68ad@posting.google.co m...

    > > Hello all,
    > > I spent the mid-90s lusting after an SGI box and have just noticed how

    cheap
    > > they are on eBay....

    > I would recommend getting an O2 rather than an Indy. It'll be faster,
    > have internal CD-ROM drive, more modern I/O, much cheaper video
    > options, and has the HD15 "VGA" connector you're asking about. Be sure
    > to get 192+ MB RAM.
    >
    > Shop around until you find a seller who can help you with your IRIX
    > needs.
    >
    > Good reference material:
    > http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/sgi.html
    > http://techpubs.sgi.com
    > http://www.nekochan.net/
    > http://forums.nekochan.net/

  4. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    In article ,
    "Bishop Michael Sheridan" wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I spent the mid-90s lusting after an SGI box and have just noticed how cheap
    > they are on eBay. The problem as I see it is getting an OS as these either
    > are sold without one or with the root password unknown. I also have very
    > little Unix experience, which is one reason I'd like to get one. SGI's web
    > site quite obviously is geared towards those purchasing their new gear, so I
    > came here. Can any of you give me advice on:
    >
    > How do I get an Irix for one of these without paying more than I will for
    > the Indy itself?
    > Do I have to have the latest Irix or how far back can I go and still have a
    > useable machine (I just want to learn/play).
    > With a <$20 adapter, I can hook an Indy up to my VGA monitor, right?
    > I can use my PC mouse and keyboard, right?
    > Are there any really cool apps I should download?/Any recommended web sites
    > for "old" Indy users?

    I would recommend the following for Indy advice:

    http://www.reputable.com/indytech.html
    http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/indyinfo.html

    Josh

  5. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    "Bishop Michael Sheridan" wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks for the response. I'm sure your advice is logical, but part of my
    > desire is emotional - I really liked the Indy and never even saw the models
    > that came after it (and thus have no feeling for them). Thus, I'm going to
    > keep trying for an Indy. Those links are valuable.
    > Thanks again!

    One more:

    http://www.reputable.com/indytech.html

  6. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    > How do I get an Irix for one of these without paying more than I will for
    > the Indy itself?

    ebay is probably your best best. You'll need the IRIX 6.5 base
    (Foundation-1, Foundation-2 and ONC-3/NFS CDs at the minimum). Once those
    are in your posesion, you can get the overlays, the higher the revision, the
    better. For Indy, the last SGI supported overlay is 6.5.22f.
    There are often base and overlays for sale on comp.sys.sgi.marketplace, too.

    From what I understand, if you sign up as a developer, SGI will let you
    download the overlays for free, but three revs back. So for example, if the
    latest overlay is 6.5.22f, then you'd be able to download 6.5.19f from their
    site. At any rate, it'd be something to look into if you're interested in
    obtaining IRIX.

    > Do I have to have the latest Irix or how far back can I go and still have

    > useable machine (I just want to learn/play).

    It is highly recommended to have the latest overlays, but if that isn't
    possible, 6.5 was a major evolution over 5.x.

    > With a <$20 adapter, I can hook an Indy up to my VGA monitor, right?

    Yes, if you can find one that low. I currently need one myself and the
    lowest I've been able to find is 30 EUR, which is around $35-$40 USD.
    But the tricky part is to find the adapter with the right genders...

    > I can use my PC mouse and keyboard, right?

    Yes, you should be able to... SGI was smart enough to use a standard PS/2.

    > Are there any really cool apps I should download?/Any recommended web

    sites
    > for "old" Indy users?

    Hmmm... http://freeware.sgi.com/ contains tons and tons of native IRIX
    dists, compiled with SGI MIPSPro C/C++ compilers and undocumented switches,
    giving it the best perf short of low level optimizations in the code. It'll
    effectively turn an SGI server or a workstation into a power house for any
    work imaginable, from word processing to DNS, web and databases.

  7. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    Thanks for the sites!
    "Josh McKee" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Bishop Michael Sheridan" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > > I spent the mid-90s lusting after an SGI box and have just noticed how

    cheap
    > > they are on eBay. The problem as I see it is getting an OS as these

    either
    > > are sold without one or with the root password unknown. I also have very
    > > little Unix experience, which is one reason I'd like to get one. SGI's

    web
    > > site quite obviously is geared towards those purchasing their new gear,

    so I
    > > came here. Can any of you give me advice on:
    > >
    > > How do I get an Irix for one of these without paying more than I will

    for
    > > the Indy itself?
    > > Do I have to have the latest Irix or how far back can I go and still

    have a
    > > useable machine (I just want to learn/play).
    > > With a <$20 adapter, I can hook an Indy up to my VGA monitor, right?
    > > I can use my PC mouse and keyboard, right?
    > > Are there any really cool apps I should download?/Any recommended web

    sites
    > > for "old" Indy users?

    > I would recommend the following for Indy advice:
    >
    > http://www.reputable.com/indytech.html
    > http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/indyinfo.html
    >
    > Josh

  8. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    Thanks for the advice and the sites. I'll have to see about becoming an SGI
    developer.

    "UNIX admin" wrote in message
    > From what I understand, if you sign up as a developer, SGI will let you
    > download the overlays for free, but three revs back. So for example, if

    the
    > latest overlay is 6.5.22f, then you'd be able to download 6.5.19f from

    their
    > site. At any rate, it'd be something to look into if you're interested in
    > obtaining IRIX.

  9. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    Hi,

    Bishop Michael Sheridan wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice and the sites. I'll have to see about becoming an SGI
    > developer.

    Actually you don't need to. In order to download 6.5.20m (at the moment)
    all you need is a "Supportfolio Online"-account. Have a look at
    , you can also sign up for it there.

    If you really want to use the latest release, you might try the
    "Developer Online"-account as well, but I never got that tied to my
    Supportfolio. And besides, the last release of Irix 6.5 that can be used
    on an Indy is 6.5.22 - everything after that won't work. For 6.5.23 and
    up you need at least something like an O2 or Octane.

    Have fun,

    Dominik.

  10. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    That is VERY helpful. I'm sure 6.5.20 will be all I need for what I'm doing!
    I have 2G and 4G hard drives lying around here unused. What are my options
    in terms of buying one of those eBay Indys with no hard drive? Would it cost
    a fortune to get a "base" Irix install disc(s)? Similarly, what if I got an
    Irix 5.3 based Indy - would I still need a base 6.x install disc(s) or could
    I use "overlays?"

    Thanks again - you folks know how to make a newbie feel welcome!

    "Dominik Schlütter" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Bishop Michael Sheridan wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the advice and the sites. I'll have to see about becoming an

    SGI
    > > developer.

    > Actually you don't need to. In order to download 6.5.20m (at the moment)
    > all you need is a "Supportfolio Online"-account. Have a look at
    > , you can also sign up for it there.
    >
    > If you really want to use the latest release, you might try the
    > "Developer Online"-account as well, but I never got that tied to my
    > Supportfolio. And besides, the last release of Irix 6.5 that can be used
    > on an Indy is 6.5.22 - everything after that won't work. For 6.5.23 and
    > up you need at least something like an O2 or Octane.
    >

    > Have fun,
    >
    > Dominik.

  11. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    Bishop Michael Sheridan wrote:
    > That is VERY helpful. I'm sure 6.5.20 will be all I need for what I'm doing!
    > I have 2G and 4G hard drives lying around here unused. What are my options
    > in terms of buying one of those eBay Indys with no hard drive? Would it cost
    > a fortune to get a "base" Irix install disc(s)?

    Probably about $100...

    Similarly, what if I got an
    > Irix 5.3 based Indy - would I still need a base 6.x install disc(s) or could
    > I use "overlays?"

    Same thing, you'll need the whole thing...

    I would highly suggest getting an O2 with a base 6.5 installed on it. I
    know this has been suggested already, but I think the overall experience
    would be more positive with an O2. It is a pretty cool little toaster
    (not that the Indy is a bad machine in any way)

  12. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    > Thanks for the advice and the sites. I'll have to see about becoming an
    SGI
    > developer.

    Hehe, yes. (:-) Next time though, please don't post answers on the top of
    the article.

  13. Re: I want to get my first SGI Indy and have a few questions

    > That is VERY helpful. I'm sure 6.5.20 will be all I need for what I'm
    doing!
    > I have 2G and 4G hard drives lying around here unused. What are my options

    If they're SCSI and the machine you buy has sleds for the drives, then you
    should be all set.

    > in terms of buying one of those eBay Indys with no hard drive? Would it

    cost
    > a fortune to get a "base" Irix install disc(s)? Similarly, what if I got

    an

    Hmmm, it all depends -- sometimes you can find them without drives (and
    sleds, which is a problem!), and sometimes they have only sleds (which is
    what you'd want in your case), and sometimes they have one or two disks
    installed already. I don't believe the prices vary that much, especially if
    you stumble upon an "inventory disposal company", which doesn't have a clue
    what kind of computer they're dealing with.

    "System boots to some kind of a login prompt" are good and usual signs --
    which also means you'll be getting a deal!

    > Irix 5.3 based Indy - would I still need a base 6.x install disc(s) or

    could
    > I use "overlays?"

    With overlays you always need the 6.5 base, unless you already have the 6.5
    base (or overlaid 6.5 base) and issue:

    keep *
    install upgrades
    keep incompleteoverlays
    go

    at the `inst` prompt.

    But that's getting into the low-level stuff now.
    To keep it short and simple, YOU will need the 6.5 base CDs, overlays or no.

+ Reply to Thread