SGI & Powerchute - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI & Powerchute - SGI ; Does anyone have any experience integrating APC PowerChute with an Irix system? It isn't supported anymore, but I'm wondering if there are workarounds that will allow a shutdown from an APC UPS....

  1. SGI & Powerchute

    Does anyone have any experience integrating APC PowerChute with an
    Irix system? It isn't supported anymore, but I'm wondering if there
    are workarounds that will allow a shutdown from an APC UPS.

  2. Re: SGI & Powerchute

    Charlie wrote:
    > Does anyone have any experience integrating APC PowerChute with an
    > Irix system? It isn't supported anymore, but I'm wondering if there
    > are workarounds that will allow a shutdown from an APC UPS.

    My IRIS systems are not much "integrated" but all connected via APC
    Smart-UPS 1400. There is a special serial cable and some software that
    was originally delivered with these, but PowerChute turned out to be in
    an historic executable format; it does not run neither on Indigo R4k nor
    on Indigo2R10k (and not on any O2, Octane, Fuel, Tezro, whatever).

    Apparently the binaries are pretty ancient... so it would be necessary
    to build that anew from scratch. Not too difficult a task, I think -
    find out what signals the UPS delivers and watch for them on a serial
    port; once recognized: alert users to log out & save and then shut down.

    Perhaps one of the geniusses at nekochan will pick up the task to write
    an appropriate script?

  3. Re: SGI & Powerchute

    Walther wrote:
    > Charlie wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any experience integrating APC PowerChute with an
    >> Irix system? It isn't supported anymore, but I'm wondering if there
    >> are workarounds that will allow a shutdown from an APC UPS.

    > My IRIS systems are not much "integrated" but all connected via APC
    > Smart-UPS 1400. There is a special serial cable and some software that
    > was originally delivered with these, but PowerChute turned out to be in
    > an historic executable format; it does not run neither on Indigo R4k nor
    > on Indigo2R10k (and not on any O2, Octane, Fuel, Tezro, whatever).
    >
    > Apparently the binaries are pretty ancient... so it would be necessary
    > to build that anew from scratch. Not too difficult a task, I think -
    > find out what signals the UPS delivers and watch for them on a serial
    > port; once recognized: alert users to log out & save and then shut down.
    >
    > Perhaps one of the geniusses at nekochan will pick up the task to write
    > an appropriate script?

    Sorry, typo: IRIX, not IRIS.

  4. Re: SGI & Powerchute

    On 13 Jul 2004 18:28:05 -0700, c182_pilot@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Does anyone have any experience integrating APC PowerChute with an
    > Irix system? It isn't supported anymore, but I'm wondering if there
    > are workarounds that will allow a shutdown from an APC UPS.

    I mostly found powerchute useless, even where it works. You have three
    free good alternatives: apcd, apsupsd and nut.

    - ftp://sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/linux/System/ups/apcd.tar.gz
    - ftp://ftp.apcupsd.org/pub/apcupsd/stable/tar/
    - http://www.networkupstools.org/

    I use nut around with success.

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!

  5. Re: SGI & Powerchute

    Charlie wrote:

    > Does anyone have any experience integrating APC PowerChute with an
    > Irix system? It isn't supported anymore, but I'm wondering if there
    > are workarounds that will allow a shutdown from an APC UPS.

    We used it on an Origin 200 at the place I worked at until a couple of
    years ago. I remember that I did have to try hard to get hold of a CD
    with the IRIX version of the software on it, and it certainly wasn't the
    latest version, even then. However, it did work.

    I think the UNIX install CD which shipped with the UPS had no mention of
    IRIX, but the one from a few versions prior had it there as standard.
    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

+ Reply to Thread