IRIX Questions - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX Questions - SGI ; > Why should I have to be "humble"? Can't people just answer the > question without having to be condescending? Wave++ did it, why > couldn't Norm (especially when Norm himself gave the wrong answer)? Am > I expect too ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: IRIX Questions

    > Why should I have to be "humble"? Can't people just answer the
    > question without having to be condescending? Wave++ did it, why
    > couldn't Norm (especially when Norm himself gave the wrong answer)? Am
    > I expect too much in asking a question without having someone feel the
    > need to chastise me?

    Why should you be humble? You shouldn't, but people wouldn't chastise you if
    you were.

    > No, it's 6.5.9. A reasonable person would expect it to display 6.5.9.
    > IRIX 5.3 displays "5.3". IRIX 6.2 displays "6.2". IRIX 6.5 displays
    > "6.5". So it's reasonable to assume that IRIX 6.5.9 would display
    > "6.5.9".

    I explained to you previously why that is the way it is. If you have
    difficulty coping with all that, then IRIX 6.5 is not for you.

    UNLESS you installed from the "Installation tools & overlays 1 of x" CD,
    when you install base IRIX 6.5, uname -a will report "6.5". And that is
    correct behaviour because at that point it *is* 6.5 (one need not be a
    genius to figure the logic of that).

    If you installed from the overlays and used the 6.5 foundation CDs to
    resolve conflicts, then you would be at that overlay version. The base is
    still 6.5 it will always be 6.5 in IRIX 6.5.x, so uname once again functions
    correctly according to SGI's design.

    IRIX 6.5 is a major release of the IRIX OE and therefore `uname -a` will
    report "6.5".

    > Great. See the second question that I wrote. As I said I'm not well
    > versed in IRIX. Thus I fail to see the need to chastise me for asking
    > a simple question. Either answer it or ignore it. No need to add
    > unwarranted insults.

    There were no insults, just obervations. You either ignore or fail to
    understand explanations, or you just pay not attention to detail.
    Blather or not.

  2. Re: IRIX Questions

    In article <40fa9c54$0$1955$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
    "UNIX admin" wrote:

    > > Why should I have to be "humble"? Can't people just answer the
    > > question without having to be condescending? Wave++ did it, why
    > > couldn't Norm (especially when Norm himself gave the wrong answer)? Am
    > > I expect too much in asking a question without having someone feel the
    > > need to chastise me?

    > Why should you be humble? You shouldn't, but people wouldn't chastise you if
    > you were.

    One has to be humble to ask a question here? I'm sorry but I am not
    going to stroke your pathetic ego if I have a question. If you don't
    like it you're welcome to ignore the message...which is what I
    previously suggested. The fact that certain people here cannot answer
    questions without expecting someone to bow down to them illustrates a
    serious inferiority complex. You need to grow up and get over it.
    Barring that seek professional help.

    > > No, it's 6.5.9. A reasonable person would expect it to display 6.5.9.
    > > IRIX 5.3 displays "5.3". IRIX 6.2 displays "6.2". IRIX 6.5 displays
    > > "6.5". So it's reasonable to assume that IRIX 6.5.9 would display
    > > "6.5.9".

    > I explained to you previously why that is the way it is.

    Yes you did. And I fail to see why you're explaining it again.

    Josh

    > If you have difficulty coping with all that, then IRIX 6.5 is not for you.
    >
    > UNLESS you installed from the "Installation tools & overlays 1 of x" CD,
    > when you install base IRIX 6.5, uname -a will report "6.5". And that is
    > correct behaviour because at that point it *is* 6.5 (one need not be a
    > genius to figure the logic of that).
    >
    > If you installed from the overlays and used the 6.5 foundation CDs to
    > resolve conflicts, then you would be at that overlay version. The base is
    > still 6.5 it will always be 6.5 in IRIX 6.5.x, so uname once again functions
    > correctly according to SGI's design.
    >
    > IRIX 6.5 is a major release of the IRIX OE and therefore `uname -a` will
    > report "6.5".
    >
    > > Great. See the second question that I wrote. As I said I'm not well
    > > versed in IRIX. Thus I fail to see the need to chastise me for asking
    > > a simple question. Either answer it or ignore it. No need to add
    > > unwarranted insults.

    > There were no insults, just obervations. You either ignore or fail to
    > understand explanations, or you just pay not attention to detail.
    > Blather or not.

  3. Re: IRIX Questions

    > Since IRIX 6.5 was returned I assumed that I had not properly installed
    > the overlays. Not having the time to investigate further I powered down
    > the system, packed it up, and it hasn't been turned on since. That was
    > two months ago. A few days ago when reading through the newsgroups I
    > decided to ask my questions. That's it. Don't make it out to be more
    > than it is to stroke your ego. Grow up and get some help about that
    > superiority complex you have.

    Next time, *take the time* to read up on stuff on SGI techpubs library:
    http://techpubs.sgi.com/
    It's there for a reason. If you still have questions, then ask.

    And apparently none of the stuff I wrote sunk in. You seem to have a
    problem with reading, as well as difficulties understanding written matter.

  4. Re: IRIX Questions

    In article <40face73$0$1949$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
    "UNIX admin" wrote:

    > > Since IRIX 6.5 was returned I assumed that I had not properly installed
    > > the overlays. Not having the time to investigate further I powered down
    > > the system, packed it up, and it hasn't been turned on since. That was
    > > two months ago. A few days ago when reading through the newsgroups I
    > > decided to ask my questions. That's it. Don't make it out to be more
    > > than it is to stroke your ego. Grow up and get some help about that
    > > superiority complex you have.

    > Next time, *take the time* to read up on stuff on SGI techpubs library:
    > http://techpubs.sgi.com/
    > It's there for a reason. If you still have questions, then ask.

    I'll ask question in the manner that *I* decide...not you.

    > And apparently none of the stuff I wrote sunk in. You seem to have a
    > problem with reading, as well as difficulties understanding written matter.

    What makes you arrive at this, incorrect, conclusion?

    Josh

  5. Re: IRIX Questions

    > I'll ask question in the manner that *I* decide...not you.

    Arrogance won't get you far.

  6. Re: IRIX Questions

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:44:01 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    wrote:

    >> I'll ask question in the manner that *I* decide...not you.

    >Arrogance won't get you far.

    You'd be one to know as you display a sickening degree of it.

    Josh

  7. Re: IRIX Questions

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:57:07 GMT
    Josh McKee wrote:

    > > The first thing you need to do is learn to use the manpages -- the
    > > *NIX built-in help system. Generally you can type
    > > man {command}
    > > where {command} is the name of a program [or sometimes a feature] to
    > > get a good summary of the command/feature.

    > I'm very well versed in UNIX...just not IRIX.

    > I have much to learn about IRIX. UNIX is old hat to me. I fail to see
    > how my post gave the impression that I was not UNIX savvy.
    >
    > Anyway I'd much rather you not respond than respond in a condescending

    Hey, if you get bitched on Usenet, take it like a man.
    This is part of the Usenet protocol.
    There will be ALWAYS someone who thinks of the question/request as
    inadequate, and reacts unfriendly. Maybe he's right, maybe not.
    Just ignore this, it won't get you far. See this as the price to get the
    answers from others. It's quickly ignored and forgotten.

    And PLEASE, don't respond to this messge. None of you all!

    Complaining about the way one is treated at usenet
    only eats time. If you have got enough, okay---many others haven't.

    CU,
    Achim

    --
    Achim Hensel achim.hensel@freenet.de

  8. Re: IRIX Questions

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:19:41 +0200, Achim Hensel
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:57:07 GMT
    >Josh McKee wrote:
    >
    >> > The first thing you need to do is learn to use the manpages -- the
    >> > *NIX built-in help system. Generally you can type
    >> > man {command}
    >> > where {command} is the name of a program [or sometimes a feature] to
    >> > get a good summary of the command/feature.

    >> I'm very well versed in UNIX...just not IRIX.

    >> I have much to learn about IRIX. UNIX is old hat to me. I fail to see
    >> how my post gave the impression that I was not UNIX savvy.
    >>
    >> Anyway I'd much rather you not respond than respond in a condescending

    >Hey, if you get bitched on Usenet, take it like a man.
    >This is part of the Usenet protocol.

    I don't know what's worse: That there are people who have such an
    inferiority complex that being condescending to others is the only way
    that they can feel better about themselves or that this is considered
    acceptable behavior.

    But what is worse is that the person doing the condescending was wrong
    himself. Perhaps he should follow his own condescending advice.

    Josh

    >There will be ALWAYS someone who thinks of the question/request as
    >inadequate, and reacts unfriendly. Maybe he's right, maybe not.
    >Just ignore this, it won't get you far. See this as the price to get the
    >answers from others. It's quickly ignored and forgotten.
    >
    >And PLEASE, don't respond to this messge. None of you all!
    >
    >Complaining about the way one is treated at usenet
    >only eats time. If you have got enough, okay---many others haven't.
    >
    >CU,
    > Achim

  9. Re: IRIX Questions

    Josh McKee wrote in message news:<573qf05ci6dst095tt16m0lkqvi2qal53e@4ax.com>...
    > I don't know what's worse: That there are people who have such an
    > inferiority complex that being condescending to others is the only way
    > that they can feel better about themselves or that this is considered
    > acceptable behavior.

    You must be new to USENET.

  10. Re: IRIX Questions

    Josh McKee said..
    > "UNIX admin" wrote:
    > > Josh McKee said..

    [Utterly pointless thread snipped]

    Here's the deal. You both are instructed to print a copy of _only_
    your messages from this thread and go make your mother read them.
    Yes, your darling mother. She will provide subsequent instructions.

    Allan
    --
    Allan Schaffer allan@sgi.com
    Silicon Graphics http://www.sgi.com

  11. Re: IRIX Questions

    On 20 Jul 2004 16:58:50 -0700, colin@beyondboxes.com (Colin Anderson)
    wrote:

    >Josh McKee wrote in message news:<573qf05ci6dst095tt16m0lkqvi2qal53e@4ax.com>...
    >> I don't know what's worse: That there are people who have such an
    >> inferiority complex that being condescending to others is the only way
    >> that they can feel better about themselves or that this is considered
    >> acceptable behavior.

    >You must be new to USENET.

    Not at all...if you check Google you'll find an extensive history of
    my participation on USENET (to extensive IMO :-) ).

    I just take issue with people who belittle others for asking
    questions. I went through a similar discussion in the Sun newsgroup
    (except I wasn't the one asking the question).

    I know that I'm fighting a losing battle. When people say "You're
    going to get beat up sooner or later" (trust me, I've been the
    recipient of this many, many, many times as I don't always accept the
    norms) and they accept that as the norm there's no changing their
    minds.

    Josh

  12. Re: IRIX Questions

    allan@southpark.engr.sgi.com (Allan Schaffer) writes:

    >Here's the deal. You both are instructed to print a copy of _only_
    >your messages from this thread and go make your mother read them.
    >Yes, your darling mother. She will provide subsequent instructions.

    This would give 'subsequent instructions' but it does not solve the
    original technical issues.

    From a technical standpoint, Josh never said he was running the:
    -M (male) stream, where man pages are available; or the
    -F (female) stream, in which case 'Man' pages are not installed due to
    compatibility and pre-requisite issues (not to mention there is no need as
    one who runs the F streams is expected to know everything - any married
    man here who still has a need for an Encyclopedia Britanica since
    marriage? :-)).

    So it could just be that Josh is not running an appropriate stream :-).

    Cheers, barefoot
    BTW lighten up everyone.

  13. Re: IRIX Questions

    Josh McKee wrote:

    > I don't know what's worse: That there are people who have such an
    > inferiority complex that being condescending to others is the only way
    > that they can feel better about themselves or that this is considered
    > acceptable behavior.

    Neither your behaviour nor UNIX Admin's are acceptable, but none of us
    are fanning the flames, at least not in this thread.

    I guess you just discovered what "grumpy" in RFC1855 parlance means.

    From RFC1855:

    # If you should find yourself in a disagreement with one person, make your
    the list or the group. If you are debating a point on which the group might
    have some interest, you may summarize for them later.
    # Don't get involved in flame wars. Neither post nor respond to
    incendiary material.
    # Avoid sending messages or posting articles which are no more than
    gratuitous replies to replies.
    # If you are caught in an argument, keep the discussion focused on
    issues rather than the personalities involved.

    [...]

    # Consider using Reference sources (Computer Manuals, Newspapers,
    help files) before posting a question. Asking a Newsgroup where
    answers are readily available elsewhere generates grumpy "RTFM"
    (read the fine manual - although a more vulgar meaning of the word
    beginning with "f" is usually implied) messages.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  14. Re: IRIX Questions

    uname -a won't show you the complete IRIX version
    you need to use

    uname -R and it should show you 6.5.9m
    after the overlay upgrade

    Rick

    On 200407-18, Josh McKee wrote:
    > In article <40fa4898$0$1962$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
    > "UNIX admin" wrote:
    >
    >> > And you've reached this conclusion based on one question? You need to
    >> > see someone about your insecurity. You superiority complex needs to be
    >> > addressed.

    >> Incorrect. I've reached this conclusion based on bold and brash statements
    >> by the one who has asked it.

    > You reached this conclusion based on what you want to believe.
    >
    >> The road to greatness is through humbleness.
    >>
    >> I would never even think of asking a newbie question and claiming that I'm
    >> the expert at the same time.

    > That's because you're incapable of viewing a situation differently than
    > what you've assumed it to be. You're assuming things...and we already
    > know your position on assumptions.
    >
    > I already said this:
    >
    > 1. I installed IRIX 6.5
    > 2. I started the system and it indicated that IRIX 6.5 was installed.
    > 3. I installed the IRIX 6.5.9 overlays.
    > 4. I started the system and it indicated that IRIX 6.5, not IRIX 6.5.9,
    > was installed.
    > 5. Curious about the startup version indicated I used "uname -a" to
    > check the version. IRIX 6.5 was returned.
    >
    > Since IRIX 6.5 was returned I assumed that I had not properly installed
    > the overlays. Not having the time to investigate further I powered down
    > the system, packed it up, and it hasn't been turned on since. That was
    > two months ago. A few days ago when reading through the newsgroups I
    > decided to ask my questions. That's it. Don't make it out to be more
    > than it is to stroke your ego. Grow up and get some help about that
    > superiority complex you have.
    >
    > Josh
    >
    >> When I asked questions on comp.unix.freebsd.misc, I did my homework first, so
    >> noone could say "RTFM";I poured over all the available docs and did my research online as well. I
    >> have at least that much experience to avoid asking the same basic things
    >> that people ask over and over. It just shows one is lazy and wants instant
    >> gratification without putting the work into it, and that tends to piss
    >> people off (especially on a *BSD newsgroup, where people are really quirky).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2