[xfsdump] subdirectory/subtree - SGI

This is a discussion on [xfsdump] subdirectory/subtree - SGI ; I need to move a subdirectory over to a new file system. GDA is the subdirectory under the filesystem /export/big_projects Using xfsdump and restore I do cd /newfilesystem /sbin/xfsdump -l 0 -v 2 -s GDA/ - /export/big_projects | /sbin/xfsrestore - ...

  1. [xfsdump] subdirectory/subtree

    I need to move a subdirectory over to a new file system.
    GDA is the subdirectory under the filesystem /export/big_projects
    Using xfsdump and restore I do

    cd /newfilesystem

    /sbin/xfsdump -l 0 -v 2 -s GDA/ - /export/big_projects |
    /sbin/xfsrestore - .

    and I get no response at all. The unix prompt comes back. I have tried
    variations such as

    /sbin/xfsdump -l 0 -p 300 -v 2 -f - -s GDA/ /export/big_projects |
    /sbin/xfsrestore - .

    Not even an error message.

    Is there an obvious mistake here?

    I am at IRIX 6.5.23

  2. Re: [xfsdump] subdirectory/subtree

    In article <64ed12c3.0407081258.17a50cc3@posting.google.com>,
    Len Zaifman wrote:
    :I need to move a subdirectory over to a new file system.
    :GDA is the subdirectory under the filesystem /export/big_projects
    :Using xfsdump and restore I do

    :cd /newfilesystem

    :/sbin/xfsdump -l 0 -v 2 -s GDA/ - /export/big_projects | /sbin/xfsrestore - .

    :and I get no response at all

    Is /export/big_projects a filesystem that is local to the system you
    are doing the dump on? In particular not CXFS mounted? There are certain
    operations that you can only do on the metadata server for a CXFS filesystem.

    If you are *moving* the subdirectory, then you can just use 'mv' without
    xfsdump | xfsrestore . Though I'm not sure if 'mv' would keep track of
    "holes" ?

    Here's the command line that I used to do what you are trying to do:

    mkdir /tmp/dumptest; cd /tmp/dumptest
    xfsdump -l 0 -v 2 -s homes/informatics/roberson/src -J - /informatics | xfsrestore - .

    Not noticably different from what you used, except I tossed in the -J
    to prevent the system from recording the xfsdump.
    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.

  3. Re: [xfsdump] subdirectory/subtree

    Walter, as usual, is right. I don't know why, but adding -J made the solution work.

    And this is not using CXFS, only direct attached storage.

    Thanks Walter.
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:...

    > Is /export/big_projects a filesystem that is local to the system you
    > are doing the dump on? In particular not CXFS mounted? There are certain
    > operations that you can only do on the metadata server for a CXFS filesystem.
    >
    > If you are *moving* the subdirectory, then you can just use 'mv' without
    > xfsdump | xfsrestore . Though I'm not sure if 'mv' would keep track of
    > "holes" ?
    >
    > Here's the command line that I used to do what you are trying to do:
    >
    > mkdir /tmp/dumptest; cd /tmp/dumptest
    > xfsdump -l 0 -v 2 -s homes/informatics/roberson/src -J - /informatics | xfsrestore - .
    >
    > Not noticably different from what you used, except I tossed in the -J
    > to prevent the system from recording the xfsdump.

  4. Re: [xfsdump] subdirectory/subtree

    Walter, as usual, is right. I don't know why, but adding -J made the solution work.

    And this is not using CXFS, only direct attached storage.

    Thanks Walter.
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:...

    > Is /export/big_projects a filesystem that is local to the system you
    > are doing the dump on? In particular not CXFS mounted? There are certain
    > operations that you can only do on the metadata server for a CXFS filesystem.
    >
    > If you are *moving* the subdirectory, then you can just use 'mv' without
    > xfsdump | xfsrestore . Though I'm not sure if 'mv' would keep track of
    > "holes" ?
    >
    > Here's the command line that I used to do what you are trying to do:
    >
    > mkdir /tmp/dumptest; cd /tmp/dumptest
    > xfsdump -l 0 -v 2 -s homes/informatics/roberson/src -J - /informatics | xfsrestore - .
    >
    > Not noticably different from what you used, except I tossed in the -J
    > to prevent the system from recording the xfsdump.

+ Reply to Thread