from fix IP to dhcp? - SGI

This is a discussion on from fix IP to dhcp? - SGI ; Hi, We have an SGI O2 machine with Irix 6.5.x. Now the network is configured by setting fix ip address, gateway, ... We have to change to DHCP. What should I change/set in the configuration? How should I setup the ...

  1. from fix IP to dhcp?

    Hi,

    We have an SGI O2 machine with Irix 6.5.x.
    Now the network is configured by setting fix
    ip address, gateway, ...
    We have to change to DHCP.
    What should I change/set in the configuration?
    How should I setup the dhcp client?
    The problem is that I have just a remote access to
    the machine now. So, I must do it through ssh.
    And I'm not sure I can connect it again after starting
    with the new dhcp parameters.
    Any help are appreciated.
    Zoltan

  2. Re: from fix IP to dhcp?

    Hi...

    To me it sounds obvious that once you'll have configured DHCP and you disconnect you session... you won't be able to get connected again... because the IP address will change as you'll need to stop/start the IP stack in order for changes to take place.

    Plus, do you have other services running on this machine (HTTP, FTP, etc.)...? because at that point, you will face some extra problems with those services (you can try DDNS, but it is not ideal)...

    As for the DHCP part, do some "man proclaim" and you'll find the way...

    >>> Zoltan Kota 05.07.2004 10:46:25 >>>

    Hi,

    We have an SGI O2 machine with Irix 6.5.x.
    Now the network is configured by setting fix
    ip address, gateway, ...
    We have to change to DHCP.
    What should I change/set in the configuration?
    How should I setup the dhcp client?
    The problem is that I have just a remote access to
    the machine now. So, I must do it through ssh.
    And I'm not sure I can connect it again after starting
    with the new dhcp parameters.
    Any help are appreciated.
    Zoltan

  3. Re: from fix IP to dhcp?

    s.mako> What should I change/set in the configuration?
    chkconfig autoconfig_ipaddress on
    /etc/init.d/network stop; /etc/init.d/network start

    s.mako> How should I setup the dhcp client?
    It would set itself up automagically.

    s.mako> The problem is that I have just a remote access to
    s.mako> the machine now. So, I must do it through ssh.
    Make sure your DHCP server is going to give you permanent IP address -
    doing DHCP does not necessary means having random IP. If you have no
    control over DHCP server, a friend of mine once solved this problem by
    sending email with new IP address to his external address - it worked.

    s.mako> And I'm not sure I can connect it again after starting
    s.mako> with the new dhcp parameters.
    Having someone on site and having ability to debug by proxy would be
    nice in this situation.

    max

  4. Re: from fix IP to dhcp?

    Just put your mac address into the dhcpd.conf

    I've not done it under irix 6.5 but we run a redhat dhcp server and all
    ip's are fixed to the mac address.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Zoltan Kota wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have an SGI O2 machine with Irix 6.5.x.
    > Now the network is configured by setting fix
    > ip address, gateway, ...
    > We have to change to DHCP.
    > What should I change/set in the configuration?
    > How should I setup the dhcp client?
    > The problem is that I have just a remote access to
    > the machine now. So, I must do it through ssh.
    > And I'm not sure I can connect it again after starting
    > with the new dhcp parameters.
    > Any help are appreciated.
    > Zoltan

+ Reply to Thread