O2 video problem. - SGI

This is a discussion on O2 video problem. - SGI ; I have an O2 that I use as a TV in my computer room. Up until yesterday I was able to type videoin and get video. We I got home from work yesterday my O2 had rebooted (probably a power ...

  1. O2 video problem.

    I have an O2 that I use as a TV in my computer room. Up until yesterday
    I was able to type videoin and get video. We I got home from work
    yesterday my O2 had rebooted (probably a power outage in area) and I get
    an error "can't creat a valid path" when starting the video. Is my video
    module fried? software problem ???

    any ideas?

    sgio2 28# hinv
    CRM graphics installed
    Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
    Iris Audio Processor: version A3 revision 0
    Video: MVP unit 0 version 1.4
    with no AV Card or Camera.

    thanks
    Scott

  2. Re: O2 video problem.

    The 'with no AV' is a bit worring. I'd shut the system down

    /etc/shutdown -y -g0 -p

    then unplug the O2 from the mains and remove the AV board, clean off the
    contacts (the PCB) blow out any dust too. Then re-assemble the system and
    boot. I'd also try to stop and start videod

    /etc/init.d/videod stop; /etc/init.d/videod start

    If that doesn't work it's either a software corruption or, eak, a hardware
    faliure.

    Find another O2 and install the AV board in it and see hinv. Have a play
    with it in another system.

    Regards
    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Scott Sandifer wrote:

    > I have an O2 that I use as a TV in my computer room. Up until yesterday
    > I was able to type videoin and get video. We I got home from work
    > yesterday my O2 had rebooted (probably a power outage in area) and I get
    > an error "can't creat a valid path" when starting the video. Is my video
    > module fried? software problem ???
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > sgio2 28# hinv
    > CRM graphics installed
    > Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
    > Iris Audio Processor: version A3 revision 0
    > Video: MVP unit 0 version 1.4
    > with no AV Card or Camera.
    >

    > thanks
    > Scott

  3. Re: O2 video problem.

    I'd love to know how the original poster was able to view a tv signal on
    their O2. Could you post some details on how you set it all up, or
    point me to a place with it written up? Just to note... this is what my
    O2 has:

    Video: MVP unit 0 version 1.4
    AV: AV1 Card version 1, O2Cam type 1 version 0 connected.

    (it's just a simple R5k, 180MHz with 320Mb of ram)

    Thanks!

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

  4. Re: O2 video problem.

    Chris Jones wrote:

    > I'd love to know how the original poster was able to view a tv signal on
    > their O2.

    Simple: Connect a VCR (with tuner) or TV tuner to the O2's video
    input. Open Videoin from the media tools toolchest page, and voila: TV
    on your desktop. The O2 doesn't have a built-in TV tuner, the original
    poster was probably using a VCR, TV tuner or cable box.

    -zolo

  5. Re: O2 video problem.

    Chris Jones wrote:

    > I'd love to know how the original poster was able to view a tv signal on
    > their O2.

    Using the output of a tuner on e.g. a VTR.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  6. Re: O2 video problem.

    You do this by connecting your O2 over composite to a VCR. I watch TV on
    my Octane all the time. Just connect the VCR output to the O2, plug in the
    antenna to the VCR and run video in. Use audiopanel to get the audio from
    the line in to the O2 audio

    *********************

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Chris Jones wrote:

    > I'd love to know how the original poster was able to view a tv signal on
    > their O2. Could you post some details on how you set it all up, or
    > point me to a place with it written up? Just to note... this is what my
    > O2 has:
    >
    > Video: MVP unit 0 version 1.4
    > AV: AV1 Card version 1, O2Cam type 1 version 0 connected.
    >
    > (it's just a simple R5k, 180MHz with 320Mb of ram)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -chris
    >
    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > > The 'with no AV' is a bit worring. I'd shut the system down
    > >
    > > /etc/shutdown -y -g0 -p
    > >
    > > then unplug the O2 from the mains and remove the AV board, clean off the
    > > contacts (the PCB) blow out any dust too. Then re-assemble the system and
    > > boot. I'd also try to stop and start videod
    > >
    > > /etc/init.d/videod stop; /etc/init.d/videod start
    > >
    > > If that doesn't work it's either a software corruption or, eak, a hardware
    > > faliure.
    > >
    > > Find another O2 and install the AV board in it and see hinv. Have a play
    > > with it in another system.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > *********************
    > > Khalid Schofield
    > > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > > Dept. Of Materials
    > > University Of Oxford
    > > Parks Road
    > > Oxford
    > > OX1 3PH
    > >
    > > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > > Tel: 01865 273785
    > > Fax: 01865 283333
    > > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    > >

    > > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Scott Sandifer wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have an O2 that I use as a TV in my computer room. Up until yesterday
    > >>I was able to type videoin and get video. We I got home from work
    > >>yesterday my O2 had rebooted (probably a power outage in area) and I get
    > >>an error "can't creat a valid path" when starting the video. Is my video
    > >>module fried? software problem ???
    > >>
    > >>any ideas?
    > >>
    > >>sgio2 28# hinv
    > >>CRM graphics installed
    > >>Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
    > >>Iris Audio Processor: version A3 revision 0
    > >>Video: MVP unit 0 version 1.4
    > >> with no AV Card or Camera.
    > >>

    > >>thanks
    > >>Scott
    > >>

    > --
    > Chris Jones
    > (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)
    >
    > Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    > This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    > my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    > result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

  7. Re: O2 video problem.

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > You do this by connecting your O2 over composite to a VCR. I watch TV on
    > my Octane all the time. Just connect the VCR output to the O2, plug in the
    > antenna to the VCR and run video in. Use audiopanel to get the audio from
    > the line in to the O2 audio

    Better still, use one of the video demos which just shows an initial
    incoming video picture; these can be window-maxed to fill the screen.

    Or best of all, switch the screen resolution to 800x600; that way, videoin
    fills the screen anyway.

    Using videodistort to watch TV does have one advantage though: making all
    the annoying people on TV (adverts, etc.) look really stupid by stretching
    them around.

    Doesn't work for the Ocean Finance loan advert though - those people are
    already waaaay too ugly for videodistort to have any chance of making them
    worse. Yurch! %} They could damage your monitor tube you know...

    Ian.

  8. Re: O2 video problem.

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > I'd also try to stop and start videod
    >
    > /etc/init.d/videod stop; /etc/init.d/videod start

    Just FYI, the O2 doesn't use a video daemon like other systems do. You might
    try reloading the kernel module for mvp though - "ml" to get a list, "ml
    unld 1" to unload it (or whatever number it was in the list). Then whenever
    you use something needing video it will reload, which takes a few seconds
    and can lock the system while it does it...

  9. Re: O2 video problem.

    On 5 Jul 2004 13:13:30 -0700
    mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > > You do this by connecting your O2 over composite to a VCR. I watch TV on
    > > my Octane all the time. Just connect the VCR output to the O2, plug in the
    > > antenna to the VCR and run video in. Use audiopanel to get the audio from
    > > the line in to the O2 audio

    > Better still, use one of the video demos which just shows an initial
    > incoming video picture; these can be window-maxed to fill the screen.
    >
    > Or best of all, switch the screen resolution to 800x600; that way, videoin
    > fills the screen anyway.
    >
    > Using videodistort to watch TV does have one advantage though: making all
    > the annoying people on TV (adverts, etc.) look really stupid by stretching
    > them around.
    >
    > Doesn't work for the Ocean Finance loan advert though - those people are
    > already waaaay too ugly for videodistort to have any chance of making them
    > worse. Yurch! %} They could damage your monitor tube you know...
    >
    > Ian.

    I find those adverts make much better viewing through the ttyvideo indycam app It also makes the plethora of other loan adverts more bareable by bluring out Carol Vorderman... which is never a bad thing.

    Spoo.

+ Reply to Thread