How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD? - SGI

This is a discussion on How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD? - SGI ; The story is short, although not sweet: I downloaded IRIX6.5.22_1of3.tar.gz, 2 of 3, etc. But when you ungzip and untar the archives, they're just regular files instead of a CD image! What do I need to do to make an ...

  1. How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD?

    The story is short, although not sweet: I downloaded IRIX6.5.22_1of3.tar.gz,
    2 of 3, etc.
    But when you ungzip and untar the archives, they're just regular files
    instead of a CD image!

    What do I need to do to make an installable overlay CD out of "Installation
    Tools & Overlays 1 of 3" .tar.gz archive? I looked and looked for docs on
    Supportfolio and sgi Techpubs, but there were tons and tons of false
    positives.

    If there is a doc on TPL or Supportfolio that someone could point me to for
    doing this, that'd also be great.

  2. Re: How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD?

    Am 24.06.2004, 18:04:58, schrieb "UNIX admin" :

    > The story is short, although not sweet: I downloaded

    IRIX6.5.22_1of3.tar.gz,
    > 2 of 3, etc.
    > But when you ungzip and untar the archives, they're just regular files
    > instead of a CD image!

    > What do I need to do to make an installable overlay CD out of

    "Installation
    > Tools & Overlays 1 of 3" .tar.gz archive? I looked and looked for docs

    on
    > Supportfolio and sgi Techpubs, but there were tons and tons of false
    > positives.

    > If there is a doc on TPL or Supportfolio that someone could point me to

    for
    > doing this, that'd also be great.

    There is some info in
    http://www.burdell.org/technotes/iri...nst_cds_65.txt
    and
    http://www.burdell.org/technotes/iri...g_inst_cds.txt
    but dont forget, the files you have downloaded are just updates. You can
    use them for upgrading any previous 6.5.x IRIX. If you're starting with a
    blank disk, you need more than just the update files, i.e., you need IRIX
    installation disks too. Older 6.5.x versions will do, but AFAIR x may
    depend on how recent your SGI box is.

  3. Re: How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD?

    "Rainer Latka" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    There is some info in
    http://www.burdell.org/technotes/iri...nst_cds_65.txt
    and
    http://www.burdell.org/technotes/iri...g_inst_cds.txt
    but dont forget, the files you have downloaded are just updates. You can
    use them for upgrading any previous 6.5.x IRIX. If you're starting with a
    blank disk, you need more than just the update files, i.e., you need IRIX
    installation disks too. Older 6.5.x versions will do, but AFAIR x may
    depend on how recent your SGI box is.

    * * *
    Thanks, I'll check those links out promptly!

    I have the entire 6.5 base on CDs, as I'm no novice to IRIX 6.5. Anyway, I
    learned by digging with Google that there's thins thingy called "mkefs" and
    I even found a link pointing to it (at nekochan.net), but the link was
    busted! ("mkefs" is not to be confused with mk_efs or mkfs -T efs.)

    Does anyone know where one can get a copy of that "mkefs" tool?

  4. Re: How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD?

    "UNIX admin" wrote:
    > Does anyone know where one can get a copy of that "mkefs" tool?

    Do you mean the script here: http://sigbus.nove.bg/pool/irix/CDR/?

    Or https://toolbox.sgi.com/toolbox/utilities/CDmastering/?

  5. Re: How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD?

    > Do you mean the script here: http://sigbus.nove.bg/pool/irix/CDR/?
    >
    > Or https://toolbox.sgi.com/toolbox/utilities/CDmastering/?

    Hm, good question, as they don't appear to be identical.

    Using the SGI's mkefs script, you get two files, image.vh and image.efs.
    That should solve the mastering problem. Using sgi's "burncd" tools is out
    of the question, because they only support two types of specific writers;
    which means I have to use cdrecord.

    The question is, how does one pass the .vh and .efs files to cdrecord so
    that the CD is burned bootable? Obviously, we're not dealing with an ISO
    image here.

    Question #2 is, what is the difference toolwise between sgi's and the
    Bulgarian guy's?

  6. Re: How do I create a 6.5.x installation CD?

    UNIX admin wrote:
    >>Do you mean the script here: http://sigbus.nove.bg/pool/irix/CDR/?

    [...]
    > The question is, how does one pass the .vh and .efs files to cdrecord so
    > that the CD is burned bootable? Obviously, we're not dealing with an ISO
    > image here.

    cat image.vh image.efs |cdrecord -v -

    For it to be really bootable, the right files have to be in the volume
    header, i.e. the proper sash, a kernel, and for the sake of completeness
    the ide*.

    > Question #2 is, what is the difference toolwise between sgi's and the
    > Bulgarian guy's?

    they are essentially the same.

    rainer

+ Reply to Thread