Re: fw_openssh vs. irix openssh - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: fw_openssh vs. irix openssh - SGI ; In a previous article, Paul White wrote: -> ->Tony Schreiner wrote: -> ->> I've just started to upgrade some workstations to 6.5.20m and higher. ->> ->> I had fw_openssh, fw_openssl installed, and I guess I'll replace them ->> with the ...

  1. Re: fw_openssh vs. irix openssh

    In a previous article, Paul White wrote:
    ->
    ->Tony Schreiner wrote:
    ->
    ->> I've just started to upgrade some workstations to 6.5.20m and higher.
    ->>
    ->> I had fw_openssh, fw_openssl installed, and I guess I'll replace them
    ->> with the included openssh and openssl.
    ->>
    ->> The question I have is: I seem to recall the fw_openssh have various
    ->> prerequisites like fw_tcp_wrappers and fw_pam and maybe others. Is it
    ->> necessary, or desirable to keeps those; or are they superseded as well?
    ->>
    ->> Thanks,
    ->> Tony
    ->Tony
    ->
    ->you do not need any freeware software to use the sgi-supplied ssh.
    ->its all in irix.
    ->
    ->Paul
    ->

    I can think of one reason why you may want to keep fw_openssh. The copy now
    on the SGI freeware site is openssh-3.7.1p2. The version in 6.5.20m claims
    to be openssh-3.6. This is said to have a security implication.

    Gerson Cohen

  2. Re: fw_openssh vs. irix openssh

    ghc@vger.niddk.nih.gov (Gerson H Cohen) wrote in message news:<23JUN04.13484130@vger.niddk.nih.gov>...
    > I can think of one reason why you may want to keep fw_openssh. The copy now
    > on the SGI freeware site is openssh-3.7.1p2. The version in 6.5.20m claims
    > to be openssh-3.6. This is said to have a security implication.

    If you install the latest SSH patch and/or update to the latest IRIX
    6.5.x, you'll be safe. SGI has rolled in the latest OpenSSH patches,
    though the version string may not mention much more than the base
    version number.

+ Reply to Thread