6.5 installation - SGI

This is a discussion on 6.5 installation - SGI ; Ok. I followed advice and not loaded Linux. I got a hold of the 6.5 set (all 12 CDs) and am part way through the installation. I am having problems. They may be related. The first one may be inconsequential. ...

  1. 6.5 installation

    Ok. I followed advice and not loaded Linux. I got a hold of the 6.5 set (all
    12 CDs) and am part way through the installation.

    I am having problems. They may be related. The first one may be
    inconsequential.

    1. When loading a CD the following is displayed :
    dksc0d3: [Alert] Illegal request: Illegal field in CDB (asc=0x24,
    asq=0x0)
    The CD then continues to run the installation.

    2. When loading The "IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1" CD after typing "go"
    An error occurs when extracting files from the eoe.sw subsystems
    After a few retries and a continue I get a core dump.

    System is an Indy with IP22 200Mhz 32Mb.

    Have I just flushed my $ for the disks or is there a solution?

    I have two sets of 5.3 disks and I had to use both sets to install the
    system (swapping disks during installation) as neither set was 100%. Please
    don't tell me that I need another set of 6.5. What are they using to write
    these CDs? Can I use the 5.3 disks to get the eoe.sw subsystems?

    TIA

  2. Re: 6.5 installation

    I may be wrong here but i will give it a go. I assume the dksc0d3 is the
    CD drive. If not that could be an issue, but it sounds to me like the CD
    drive is causeing read errors. What type and model CD drive are you
    useing? Some work great for read only but fall down when trying to
    install from them.

    James
    www.sgizone.net

    Rock Eater wrote:

    > Ok. I followed advice and not loaded Linux. I got a hold of the 6.5 set (all
    > 12 CDs) and am part way through the installation.
    >
    > I am having problems. They may be related. The first one may be
    > inconsequential.
    >
    > 1. When loading a CD the following is displayed :
    > dksc0d3: [Alert] Illegal request: Illegal field in CDB (asc=0x24,
    > asq=0x0)
    > The CD then continues to run the installation.
    >
    > 2. When loading The "IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1" CD after typing "go"
    > An error occurs when extracting files from the eoe.sw subsystems
    > After a few retries and a continue I get a core dump.
    >
    > System is an Indy with IP22 200Mhz 32Mb.
    >
    > Have I just flushed my $ for the disks or is there a solution?
    >
    > I have two sets of 5.3 disks and I had to use both sets to install the
    > system (swapping disks during installation) as neither set was 100%. Please
    > don't tell me that I need another set of 6.5. What are they using to write
    > these CDs? Can I use the 5.3 disks to get the eoe.sw subsystems?
    >
    > TIA

  3. Re: 6.5 installation

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Rock Eater wrote:

    > 2. When loading The "IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1" CD after typing "go"
    > An error occurs when extracting files from the eoe.sw subsystems
    > After a few retries and a continue I get a core dump.
    >
    > System is an Indy with IP22 200Mhz 32Mb.

    Hello,

    I had similar core dumps with Indigo^2 equipped with rotten RAM. When I
    replaced the SIMMs, problem went away.
    --
    Tuomo Kalliokoski, M.Sc.(Pharm.)
    Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry

  4. Re: 6.5 installation

    The CD drive is a SONY Model CDU76S

    "James Stanley" wrote in message

    > I may be wrong here but i will give it a go. I assume the dksc0d3 is the
    > CD drive. If not that could be an issue, but it sounds to me like the CD
    > drive is causeing read errors. What type and model CD drive are you
    > useing? Some work great for read only but fall down when trying to
    > install from them.
    >
    > James
    > www.sgizone.net
    >
    > Rock Eater wrote:
    >
    > > Ok. I followed advice and not loaded Linux. I got a hold of the 6.5 set

    (all
    > > 12 CDs) and am part way through the installation.
    > >
    > > I am having problems. They may be related. The first one may be
    > > inconsequential.
    > >
    > > 1. When loading a CD the following is displayed :
    > > dksc0d3: [Alert] Illegal request: Illegal field in CDB (asc=0x24,
    > > asq=0x0)
    > > The CD then continues to run the installation.
    > >
    > > 2. When loading The "IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1" CD after typing "go"
    > > An error occurs when extracting files from the eoe.sw subsystems
    > > After a few retries and a continue I get a core dump.
    > >
    > > System is an Indy with IP22 200Mhz 32Mb.
    > >
    > > Have I just flushed my $ for the disks or is there a solution?
    > >
    > > I have two sets of 5.3 disks and I had to use both sets to install the
    > > system (swapping disks during installation) as neither set was 100%.

    Please
    > > don't tell me that I need another set of 6.5. What are they using to

    write
    > > these CDs? Can I use the 5.3 disks to get the eoe.sw subsystems?
    > >
    > > TIA

  5. Re: 6.5 installation

    The RAM, although only 32Mb, was supplied with the Indy from SGI Australia.
    Is 32 Mb sufficient?

    > I had similar core dumps with Indigo^2 equipped with rotten RAM. When I
    > replaced the SIMMs, problem went away.
    > Tuomo Kalliokoski, M.Sc.(Pharm.)
    > Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    > University of Kuopio

  6. Re: 6.5 installation

    Le Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:46:55 +1000, Rock Eater a écrit*:

    > The RAM, although only 32Mb, was supplied with the Indy from SGI Australia.
    > Is 32 Mb sufficient?

    Not really, but IRIX 6.5 will install with 32 MB. It will even run, albeit
    horribly slowly 64MB is decent enough for 6.5 IMHO.

    --
    Ne pas savoir de quoi on parle est un avantage dont il ne faut pas
    abuser.

  7. Re: 6.5 installation

    If you look here at Brent Bates pages on third party suppliers this is
    what is said about your CD-ROM:

    Sony CDU 76S (SCSI 1, 1x) on Indy. Mediad didn't work, but
    manually mounting it did work.

    You may just need a different drive for the install.

    Here is the address to find his list:

    http://www.vigyan.com/~blbates/sgi/h...CDROMpoll.html

    Hope this helps,
    James

    --
    James Stanley

    http://www.sgizone.net

    " Windows 95: A 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell, running on
    top of an 8-bit operating system, written for a 4-bit processor,
    by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

    Keith Huff

  8. Re: 6.5 installation

    Am 23.06.2004, 13:45:11, schrieb Emmanuel Florac :

    > Le Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:46:55 +1000, Rock Eater a écrit*:

    > > The RAM, although only 32Mb, was supplied with the Indy from SGI

    Australia.
    > > Is 32 Mb sufficient?

    > Not really, but IRIX 6.5 will install with 32 MB. It will even run,

    albeit
    > horribly slowly 64MB is decent enough for 6.5 IMHO.

    maybe, but more would definitely be better.
    @Rock Eater: PS/2 FPM (fast page mode) RAMs with parity, as used in PCs
    many years ago, will work (not EDO RAMs!). SGI recommends gold-plated
    contacts, but others normally work without problems. The Indy supports
    256MB (8x 32MB)

    > --
    > Ne pas savoir de quoi on parle est un avantage dont il ne faut pas
    > abuser.
    > R.Debray

  9. Re: 6.5 installation

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Rock Eater wrote:

    > The RAM, although only 32Mb, was supplied with the Indy from SGI Australia.
    > Is 32 Mb sufficient?

    Quick answer: No.
    --
    Tuomo Kalliokoski, M.Sc.(Pharm.)
    Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    University of Kuopio

  10. Re: 6.5 installation

    I have loaded 5.3 onto a blank disk using this drive. I don't think that
    this is causing the grief. I think that it is the installation disks.
    Cheers

  11. Re: 6.5 installation

    > Ok. I followed advice and not loaded Linux. I got a hold of the 6.5 set
    (all
    > 12 CDs) and am part way through the installation.
    >
    > I am having problems. They may be related. The first one may be
    > inconsequential.
    >
    > 1. When loading a CD the following is displayed :
    > dksc0d3: [Alert] Illegal request: Illegal field in CDB (asc=0x24,
    > asq=0x0)
    > The CD then continues to run the installation.
    >
    > 2. When loading The "IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1" CD after typing "go"
    > An error occurs when extracting files from the eoe.sw subsystems
    > After a few retries and a continue I get a core dump.
    >
    > System is an Indy with IP22 200Mhz 32Mb.
    >
    > Have I just flushed my $ for the disks or is there a solution?

    Did you get any version of "Installation Tools & Overlays" CDs with that
    6.5?

    If so, use the CD1 of "Instllation Tools & Overlays" to install from instead
    of "Foundation 1" CD. There'll be tons of conflicts, which you'll promptly
    resolve by sticking the IRIX 6.5 base CDs. However, after you're done,
    you'll be directly at the overlay revision instead of base 6.5.

    EXAMPLE

    Installing from IRIX 6.5.22 "Installation Tools & Overlays" CD and then
    using IRIX 6.5 base CDs for resolving conflicts when prompted, after the
    installation completes, the system will be at 6.5.22f or 6.5.22m depending
    on which stream you selected. "f", the Feature stream, is recommended.

    > don't tell me that I need another set of 6.5. What are they using to write
    > these CDs?

    That's what I'd like to know, too!

  12. Re: 6.5 installation

    > > The RAM, although only 32Mb, was supplied with the Indy from SGI
    Australia.
    > > Is 32 Mb sufficient?

    > Quick answer: No.

    No, it'll work... it'll just swap & page a lot (;-)

+ Reply to Thread