The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:38:25 +0000 (GMT)
>From: "Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler"
>Subject: Re: SGI Altix and Apple Xserve RAID?
>To: info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL

Please, remember that I started with ``I would have thought....''

At least in the circle that work and socialize with that
phrasing indicates that I feel that on the surface it
seems that you are incorrect; but, it also is quite
likely that I have overlooked something important. A
response indicating the data that was overlooked is enough.

>In article ,
> "Randolph J. Herber" wrote:

>: I did read closely. That is how I noticed that limiting
>: factor was short READ and WRITE commands. What you omitted
>: from your posting was the signifiance of the parenthensized
>: numbers. Those are the lengths of the commands. SCSI-3
>: permits a length of 16 bytes for a command descriptor
>: block as well.

>Sorry, I should have been more clear on that. I assumed that anyone with basic
>knowledge of modern SCSI would remember that there are multiple command lengths,
>or would be able to pick it up from the context.

I knew that there were a variety of command lengths.
I had not realized that a particular class of commands
could have a variety of length. That I also learned
while reading the document I referenced. I had asked
directly on the basis of daa you gave initially.

>: 2^9 * 2^(8*8) = 9TiB = 9444732965739290427392B

That is what I get for ``just'' copying the leading digit.

Mea culpea on the unit error.

>8ZiB, 8192EiB, 8388608PiB, 8589934592TiB, 8796093022208GiB, 9007199254740992MiB,
>9223372036854775808KiB, 9444732965739290427392B.

Your computations are correct; I verified them myself.

>If you insist on using the 'i' style prefixes (which haven't been widely
>adopted outside the IEC and certain circles of pedants), please remember
>to actually divide by 1024, and to use the proper magnitude.

Mea culpea.

And, I did supply a reference so that that error could
have been easily determined.