Desactivate FTP and activate SFTP - SGI

This is a discussion on Desactivate FTP and activate SFTP - SGI ; Hi there, First of all, you must know that I'm not a terrific geek, so any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to deactivate my FTP server and activate SFTP for obvious reasons. However, I don't know how to proceed. ...

  1. Desactivate FTP and activate SFTP

    Hi there,

    First of all, you must know that I'm not a terrific geek, so any help would be appreciated.

    I'm looking to deactivate my FTP server and activate SFTP for obvious reasons. However, I don't know how to proceed. I have SSH installed if you wonder. Is it enough? I checked on freeware.sgi.com and that is all I could find... Is it enough?

    Please, provide as much as info as possible as I lack basic knowledge (however, don't feel like you have to say that I should buy a PC...).

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: Desactivate FTP and activate SFTP

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:30:47 +0200, ToTheEnd_1@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'm looking to deactivate my FTP server and activate SFTP for obvious
    > reasons. However, I don't know how to proceed. I have SSH installed if
    > you wonder. Is it enough? I checked on freeware.sgi.com and that is
    > all I could find... Is it enough?

    Yes. sftp is on by default on all openssh installations. Just verify
    with "sftp localhost". You can deactivate ftp by commenting out (with #)
    lines starting with ftp in /etc/inetd.conf and restarting inetd (killall
    -HUP inetd).

    > Please, provide as much as info as possible as I lack basic knowledge
    > (however, don't feel like you have to say that I should buy a PC...).

    Check out http://www.siliconbunny.com/security.shtml about other common
    security concerns.

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!

+ Reply to Thread