No one knows how to shut down ORIGIN - SGI

This is a discussion on No one knows how to shut down ORIGIN - SGI ; There's an SGI ORIGIN 2000 in our server room tooling along just fine, but its former administrators have left the company. Unfortunately, an electrical upgrade in the room requires that we shut it down and move it. No one knows ...

  1. No one knows how to shut down ORIGIN

    There's an SGI ORIGIN 2000 in our server room tooling along just fine,
    but its former administrators have left the company. Unfortunately, an
    electrical upgrade in the room requires that we shut it down and move
    it. No one knows what to do to shut it down gracefully, or whether the
    restart will also be tricky. While I look at the store for IRIX FOR
    DUMMIES, could someone say whether I'm in trouble or its possible to
    learn enough to do this safely? Many thx.

  2. Re: No one knows how to shut down ORIGIN

    In article ,
    Karen Robinson wrote:
    >There's an SGI ORIGIN 2000 in our server room tooling along just fine,
    >but its former administrators have left the company. Unfortunately, an
    >electrical upgrade in the room requires that we shut it down and move
    >it. No one knows what to do to shut it down gracefully, or whether the
    >restart will also be tricky. While I look at the store for IRIX FOR
    >DUMMIES, could someone say whether I'm in trouble or its possible to
    >learn enough to do this safely? Many thx.

    It's easy.

    As root, type
    shutdown -g0 -y

    For complete details, go to
    http://techpubs.sgi.com
    search for 'shutdown' and read
    Chapter 3. System Startup, Shutdown, and Run Levels

    davea@sgi.com

  3. Re: No one knows how to shut down ORIGIN

    Just to be on the really safe side.

    > it. No one knows what to do to shut it down gracefully, or whether the
    > restart will also be tricky. While I look at the store for IRIX FOR
    > DUMMIES, could someone say whether I'm in trouble or its possible to
    > learn enough to do this safely? Many thx.

    (1) List the running processes - print that list.
    Do this after the restart.

    (2) See which shares are mounted (both to and from remote maschines).

    (3) Get the logfile of the last power up - and the first time after
    that.

    (4) Be sure to have the root password.

    (5) Get the number of the former administrator, just in case :-)

    Cu,
    Achim

    --
    Achim Hensel achim.hensel@freenet.de
    Tel.: FN +49-234/414 09 68 // HNY +49-176/2121 3920

  4. Re: No one knows how to shut down ORIGIN

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:53:09 +0200, Achim Hensel wrote:
    >> it. No one knows what to do to shut it down gracefully, or whether the
    >> restart will also be tricky. While I look at the store for IRIX FOR
    >> DUMMIES, could someone say whether I'm in trouble or its possible to
    >> learn enough to do this safely? Many thx.

    > (1) List the running processes - print that list.
    > Do this after the restart.
    >
    > (2) See which shares are mounted (both to and from remote maschines).
    >
    > (3) Get the logfile of the last power up - and the first time after
    > that.
    >
    > (4) Be sure to have the root password.
    >
    > (5) Get the number of the former administrator, just in case :-)

    Tricky to do if you don't even know how to shutdown a system.

    1- Look for "'UNIX' for dummies". However these are crappy books,
    really crappy, I must warn you.
    2- Log into the system (telnet or ssh), user: root, you should know the
    password.
    3- type "shutdown -y5 -g0 -y" (without quotes). The system will go crazy
    for a moment and suddenly shatter into deadly silence.
    4- You can now unplug and move the system.
    5- Power up the system. If the old admins did a good job, there should
    be no problems whatsoever and after a few minutes it should respond
    again.

    Get the phone# of the old admins anyway as suggested.

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!

  5. Re: No one knows how to shut down ORIGIN

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:27:44 +0200, wavexx@oblio.yuv.info wrote:
    > 3- type "shutdown -y5 -g0 -y" (without quotes). The system will go crazy
    > for a moment and suddenly shatter into deadly silence.

    woops, without -y5

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!
    \__/ \_ WARNING: the email address is fake.

  6. nfs error

    Ok,

    The system in question was recently upgraded to 6.5.22m, but it wasn't a
    totally clean upgrade (some stuff at the tail end of the upgrade like
    'versions changed' wasn't taken care of) so it was "cleaned up" on Friday.

    But before that on Thursday, a local filesystem was exported to a SUN
    system and mounted up all happy. Now I can't seem to get that export to
    work from my SGI anymore. Now it *is* correctly exporting to other
    SGI's... I've tested that. It's just to a SUN.

    The SUN in question also has an active nfs mount from a different SGI...
    but that SGI is running 6.5.17m. I know I need nfsd running on my SGI
    system... but it just won't run. When I try to kick it off, I just get
    my prompt back and see this in the SYSLOG:

    Jun 14 08:22:55 3B:mysystem syslog: /usr/etc/nfsd: udp server already active
    Jun 14 08:22:55 3B:mysystem syslog: /usr/etc/nfsd: NFSGI_LISTEN(tcp):
    Resource busy
    Jun 14 08:22:55 3B:mysystem syslog: /usr/etc/nfsd: could not initialise
    any NFS transports, exiting

    Anybody out there care to enlighten me on what I'm missing?

    Thanks!

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

  7. Re: nfs error

    Chris Jones wrote:

    > Ok,
    >
    > The system in question was recently upgraded to 6.5.22m, but it wasn't a
    > totally clean upgrade (some stuff at the tail end of the upgrade like
    > 'versions changed' wasn't taken care of) so it was "cleaned up" on Friday.
    >
    > But before that on Thursday, a local filesystem was exported to a SUN
    > system and mounted up all happy. Now I can't seem to get that export to
    > work from my SGI anymore. Now it *is* correctly exporting to other
    > SGI's... I've tested that. It's just to a SUN.
    >
    > The SUN in question also has an active nfs mount from a different SGI...
    > but that SGI is running 6.5.17m. I know I need nfsd running on my SGI
    > system... but it just won't run. When I try to kick it off, I just get
    > my prompt back and see this in the SYSLOG:
    >
    > Jun 14 08:22:55 3B:mysystem syslog: /usr/etc/nfsd: udp server already
    > active
    > Jun 14 08:22:55 3B:mysystem syslog: /usr/etc/nfsd: NFSGI_LISTEN(tcp):
    > Resource busy
    > Jun 14 08:22:55 3B:mysystem syslog: /usr/etc/nfsd: could not initialise
    > any NFS transports, exiting
    >
    > Anybody out there care to enlighten me on what I'm missing?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -chris

    I figured out my problem.... running 'rpcinfo -p mysystem' showed me
    services that shouldn't have been running. I cleaned them out. That
    didn't fully do it though, and I had to restart /etc/init.d/network.

    *Then* all was well and I was able to nfs mount on the SUN box.

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

+ Reply to Thread