INDY boot problem - SGI

This is a discussion on INDY boot problem - SGI ; I forgot how I can make change in "nvram" from OSLoadOptions=INST to OSLoadOptions=auto When I turn on my Indy appears black window "sash:"..... than I must write " boot" to get " starting up the sistem...." please help ( step ...

  1. INDY boot problem

    I forgot how I can make change in "nvram" from OSLoadOptions=INST to
    OSLoadOptions=auto

    When I turn on my Indy appears black window "sash:"..... than I must write "
    boot" to get " starting up the sistem...."

    please help ( step by step)

    tnx , Davor

  2. Re: INDY boot problem

    Davor Matašić wrote:

    > I forgot how I can make change in "nvram" from OSLoadOptions=INST to
    > OSLoadOptions=auto
    >
    > When I turn on my Indy appears black window "sash:"..... than I must write "
    > boot" to get " starting up the sistem...."
    >
    > please help ( step by step)

    (Easiest of at least two ways I know of)
    Boot Indy to Irix
    open shell as root
    type nvram OSLoadOptions auto
    reboot

    (slightly harder way):
    Turn Indy on by pressing power switch on front panel.
    Watch monitor screen
    When prompted, hit ESC key for system maintenance
    Press the "5" key on the keyboard, which will take you to the PROM
    monitor
    type resetenv OR type setenv OSLoadOptions auto
    Power cycle, or press reset button on front of PS.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  3. Re: INDY boot problem

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 23:03:42 -0600, Greg Douglas
    wrote:

    >Davor Matašić wrote:
    >
    >> I forgot how I can make change in "nvram" from OSLoadOptions=INST to
    >> OSLoadOptions=auto
    >>
    >> When I turn on my Indy appears black window "sash:"..... than I must write "
    >> boot" to get " starting up the sistem...."
    >>
    >> please help ( step by step)

    >(Easiest of at least two ways I know of)
    >Boot Indy to Irix
    >open shell as root
    >type nvram OSLoadOptions auto
    >reboot
    >
    >(slightly harder way):
    >Turn Indy on by pressing power switch on front panel.
    >Watch monitor screen
    >When prompted, hit ESC key for system maintenance
    >Press the "5" key on the keyboard, which will take you to the PROM
    > monitor
    >type resetenv OR type setenv OSLoadOptions auto
    >Power cycle, or press reset button on front of PS.

    While we're on the SutoBoot subject ...

    Is there something else that controls autobooting? My Challenge L
    has...

    OSLoadOptions=auto
    AutoLoad=Y
    diskless=0

    [all the things that look like they might control booting]

    But still it stops at the menu and wants input before actually
    booting. Besides putting a PostIt on the console that says "Hit 1 and
    Enter to Boot", what can I do?

    -Shel

  4. Re: INDY boot problem

    In article <6b8cc0d33tfcidghjtaormhmi2ic2p5ns2@4ax.com>,
    Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
    :Is there something else that controls autobooting? My Challenge L
    :has...

    :OSLoadOptions=auto
    :AutoLoad=Y
    :diskless=0

    :[all the things that look like they might control booting]

    :But still it stops at the menu and wants input before actually
    :booting. Besides putting a PostIt on the console that says "Hit 1 and
    :Enter to Boot", what can I do?

    Here's what I have on an XL:

    dbaud=9600
    tapedevice=
    root=dks0d1s0
    swap=
    dumpdev=
    showconfig=isfalse
    initfile=
    initstate=
    swaplo=
    nswap=
    splockmeteron=
    console=d
    gfx=
    keybd=
    nogfxkbd=
    cpufreq=250
    monitor=
    pagecolor=
    screencolor=
    logocolor=
    diskless=0
    srvaddr=
    netaddr=192.XX.XXX.XXX
    diagmode=
    hostname=
    dlserver=
    dlgate=
    dlif=
    dllogin=
    maxpmem=
    debug_bigmem=
    scsi_syncenable=
    SystemPartition=dksc(0,1,8)
    OSLoadPartition=dksc(0,1,0)
    OSLoader=sash
    OSLoadFilename=unix
    OSLoadOptions=auto
    AutoLoad=Y
    sgilogo=n
    rbaud=19200
    passwd_key=
    rebound=
    scsihostid=
    pci_no_auto=
    mrmode=
    mrconfig=
    netmask=
    kernname=dksc(0,1,0)/unix
    ConsoleIn=multi(0)serial(0)
    ConsoleOut=multi(0)serial(0)

    --
    Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
    they see in .signatures.

  5. Re: INDY boot problem

    "
    > boot" to get " starting up the sistem...."
    >
    > please help ( step by step)

    `setenv` stari moj, setenv...

  6. Re: INDY boot problem

    On 8 Jun 2004 21:47:05 GMT, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >In article <6b8cc0d33tfcidghjtaormhmi2ic2p5ns2@4ax.com>,
    >Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
    >:Is there something else that controls autobooting? My Challenge L
    >:has...
    >
    >:OSLoadOptions=auto
    >:AutoLoad=Y
    >:diskless=0
    >
    >:[all the things that look like they might control booting]
    >
    >:But still it stops at the menu and wants input before actually
    >:booting. Besides putting a PostIt on the console that says "Hit 1 and
    >:Enter to Boot", what can I do?
    >
    >Here's what I have on an XL:
    >
    >dbaud=9600
    >tapedevice=
    >root=dks0d1s0
    >swap=
    >dumpdev=
    >showconfig=isfalse
    >initfile=
    >initstate=
    >swaplo=
    >nswap=
    >splockmeteron=
    >console=d
    >gfx=
    >keybd=
    >nogfxkbd=
    >cpufreq=250
    >monitor=
    >pagecolor=
    >screencolor=
    >logocolor=
    >diskless=0
    >srvaddr=
    >netaddr=192.XX.XXX.XXX
    >diagmode=
    >hostname=
    >dlserver=
    >dlgate=
    >dlif=
    >dllogin=
    >maxpmem=
    >debug_bigmem=
    >scsi_syncenable=
    >SystemPartition=dksc(0,1,8)
    >OSLoadPartition=dksc(0,1,0)
    >OSLoader=sash
    >OSLoadFilename=unix
    >OSLoadOptions=auto
    >AutoLoad=Y
    >sgilogo=n
    >rbaud=19200
    >passwd_key=
    >rebound=
    >scsihostid=
    >pci_no_auto=
    >mrmode=
    >mrconfig=
    >netmask=
    >kernname=dksc(0,1,0)/unix
    >ConsoleIn=multi(0)serial(0)
    >ConsoleOut=multi(0)serial(0)

    Mine is _exactly_ the same, except for the cpufreq and netaddr items.

    Bah.

    -Shel

+ Reply to Thread