O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible - SGI

This is a discussion on O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible - SGI ; O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible I am an SGI user, sketchy on admin. Running Irix 6.3 with propriety software. My O2 is starting up then comes to login screen and no hosts appear and won't ...

  1. O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible

    O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible

    I am an SGI user, sketchy on admin. Running Irix 6.3 with propriety
    software.

    My O2 is starting up then comes to login screen and no hosts appear
    and won't respond to keyboard login.

    If I start in the shell I still get no response to commands other
    than:

    Unable to execute /:no such file or directory

    or

    no such device

    on startup in is looking for a domain and NIS it can't find, otherwise
    normal.

    what is missing?

    can it be retreived from miniboot?

    Paul

  2. Re: O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible

    In article ,
    Paul M wrote:
    :O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible

    :I am an SGI user, sketchy on admin. Running Irix 6.3 with propriety
    :software.

    :My O2 is starting up then comes to login screen and no hosts appear
    :and won't respond to keyboard login.

    I would suggest stopping in the PROM and executing the command

    resetenv
    -- Rich Kulawiec

  3. Re: O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > Paul M wrote:
    > :O2- bootup - No host icons - login not possible
    >
    > :I am an SGI user, sketchy on admin. Running Irix 6.3 with propriety
    > :software.
    >
    > :My O2 is starting up then comes to login screen and no hosts appear
    > :and won't respond to keyboard login.
    >
    > I would suggest stopping in the PROM and executing the command
    >
    > resetenv

    Thanks Walter,

    Tried printenv, all looked ok. resetenv just in case. No result.

    Of the 16 times I have tried to boot system it has booted to login
    icons twice. Once I could work the other time I got no desktop icons
    and system froze when I went into system manager.

    I ran diagnostics and got:

    Start scsi test

    no valid QOUT_PTR_ARRAY
    Device 4 failed DMA test
    Error code + IP32.08.0c.01 w1=00000001 w2=00000010

    does this mean my hard drive is dead? I suspect so. I have 2 systems
    and this disk gives same problem in both.

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread