Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working? - SGI

This is a discussion on Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working? - SGI ; I have been using google to search for a version of linux to run on an Indy. I am interested in seeing its capabilities. I have a spare drive that I can substitue whilst checking it out. There were hundreds ...

  1. Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    I have been using google to search for a version of linux to run on an Indy.
    I am interested in seeing its capabilities. I have a spare drive that I can
    substitue whilst checking it out.

    There were hundreds of hits.

    When reading some of the hits, there has been some discussion on getting the
    IndyCam working. Most links mentioned are broken and I haven't been able to
    track down a mention of which flavour of linux supports the Indy and
    IndyCam.

    Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    Cheers Pier

  2. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    Rock Eater wrote:
    > I have been using google to search for a version of linux to run on an Indy.
    > I am interested in seeing its capabilities. I have a spare drive that I can
    > substitue whilst checking it out.

    JCS is our resident linux expert. He will be happy to tux you up!

    However for a quick preview of linux on your indy just turn the machine on
    and turn your monitor off. Sit there and stare at it for a few hours. You
    have just emulated the linux on indy user experience.

    cheers.

  3. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    > However for a quick preview of linux on your indy just turn the machine on
    > and turn your monitor off. Sit there and stare at it for a few hours.

    You
    > have just emulated the linux on indy user experience.

    I would even go so far as to throw out the word "emulated" and put in "had"
    (;-D

  4. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    Rock Eater wrote:
    > Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    With current linux on Indy you get:

    - audio
    - 24bit framebuffer
    - working camera

    The difficult part is just to get everything work at a time.

    I tried it and played with it for a few days. Well the result is
    somewhat poor (as if anyone expected anything else):

    - dogslow (feels like 1/2 of the speed on any Irix that runs on Indy)
    - random crashes (not too often but expect it once a month)
    - camera is having stripes in the picture output
    - 24bit framebuffer is only a patch and means recompile orgy
    - playing mp3 via audio gives a rather high CPU load (way more than
    with Irix)
    - beeing able to run linux doesn't mean that all the applications
    suddenly change into big-endian-aware; if you have problems porting
    something to Irix you sure will have the same problems when porting
    it to Linux on SGI

    If you need something to fill your time in vacation and getting drunk
    24/7 on the beach is not challenging enough anymore then feel free to
    check out linux on Indy. It is _very_ easy to install (you get the basic
    setup within 30mins or so onto it) and sometimes it is even fun.

    For serious use I cannot recommend it though. Get Irix 5.3 (if you
    cannot afford 6.5 or whatever reason) and you are still better off than
    with linux.

    --
    PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert
    GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30

  5. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    hummmmm guess I'll give it a miss then. Sounds a total waste of time.

    Get a PeeCee to run linux.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Thu, 27 May 2004, Marcus Herbert wrote:

    > Rock Eater wrote:
    > > Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    > With current linux on Indy you get:
    >
    > - audio
    > - 24bit framebuffer
    > - working camera
    >
    > The difficult part is just to get everything work at a time.
    >
    > I tried it and played with it for a few days. Well the result is
    > somewhat poor (as if anyone expected anything else):
    >
    > - dogslow (feels like 1/2 of the speed on any Irix that runs on Indy)
    > - random crashes (not too often but expect it once a month)
    > - camera is having stripes in the picture output
    > - 24bit framebuffer is only a patch and means recompile orgy
    > - playing mp3 via audio gives a rather high CPU load (way more than
    > with Irix)
    > - beeing able to run linux doesn't mean that all the applications
    > suddenly change into big-endian-aware; if you have problems porting
    > something to Irix you sure will have the same problems when porting
    > it to Linux on SGI
    >
    > If you need something to fill your time in vacation and getting drunk
    > 24/7 on the beach is not challenging enough anymore then feel free to
    > check out linux on Indy. It is _very_ easy to install (you get the basic
    > setup within 30mins or so onto it) and sometimes it is even fun.
    >
    > For serious use I cannot recommend it though. Get Irix 5.3 (if you
    > cannot afford 6.5 or whatever reason) and you are still better off than
    > with linux.
    >
    > --
    > PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert
    > GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30
    > Geek-Code: GCS b O e+ h

  6. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    Thanks for the feed back. I saw some of the flames left for other Linux
    questions and was looking forward to the suggestions however anatomically
    impossible.

    The reason that I was considering down grading to linux is as mentioned in a
    gatway/firewall between my network and a cable modem.

    A. Because googling showed that others were doing it (not that anyone ever
    reported sucsess).

    B. The Indy is a nice design, quiet and stable machine. I enjoy using it. I
    write interfaces for my electronics projects and like the power over the i/o
    that windows has removed from users. I have a few play programs and games
    that are out of date.

    The problem arises that 5.3 is not really state of the art internet.

    The Indy is in essence a hobby machine and I spend enough on the PC beast
    (the fans are howling now). At least with the PC I pay for the work programs
    (supported, up to date and compatible with my clients systems) and have
    access to heaps of freeware.

    Question - What system minimum version of IRIX would be suitable to run a
    gateway/firewall/server etc? I have seen an update (6.20) for download at
    the sgi site. Is this suitable for updating 5.3? Once again, I am looking
    for the cheapest solution that achieves the objectives.

    Cheers Pier

  7. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    Rock Eater wrote:

    > Question - What system minimum version of IRIX would be suitable to run a
    > gateway/firewall/server etc? I have seen an update (6.20) for download at
    > the sgi site. Is this suitable for updating 5.3? Once again, I am looking
    > for the cheapest solution that achieves the objectives.

    ebay. search for sgi and irix media.

  8. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    "cosmos" wrote in message

    > ebay. search for sgi and irix media.

    Did that - I had to buy a copy of 5.3 and use the ones that came with the
    system because the disks had corrupt files out of the wrapper.

    International post is a killer too.

    Pier

  9. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    Rock Eater wrote:

    > "cosmos" wrote in message
    >>
    >> ebay. search for sgi and irix media.
    >>

    > Did that - I had to buy a copy of 5.3 and use the ones that came with the
    > system because the disks had corrupt files out of the wrapper.

    www.nekochan.net

    very large sgi/irix community and tons of international members in the forums.

    someone should be able to point you in the right direction that is closer
    to where you are.

    cheers.

  10. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    > Get a PeeCee to run linux.

    I do hope that was pure cinism and irony dripping.

  11. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    "Rock Eater" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:40b5d39f$0$31677$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...

    > The problem arises that 5.3 is not really state of the art internet.

    Why don't you upgrade to the latest IRIX 6.5.x revision supported for the
    Indy???

    > Question - What system minimum version of IRIX would be suitable to run a
    > gateway/firewall/server etc? I have seen an update (6.20) for download at
    > the sgi site. Is this suitable for updating 5.3? Once again, I am looking
    > for the cheapest solution that achieves the objectives.

    Just go to 6.5.xf and enjoy the show. It'll be well worth it.

  12. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    UNIX admin wrote:
    >> Get a PeeCee to run linux.

    > I do hope that was pure cinism and irony dripping.

    i believe he meant, "stop wasting your time with linux on mips and get a pc
    if you wish to run linux".

    cheers

  13. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    /me tries to hold cosmos at bay

    I've done this a couple of times. My reasoning is that my Indy isn't
    useful to me running IRIX (I have Octane , but as linux has support
    for the Tun/Tap driver, nice firewall and a tone of lovely GNUness, i
    can use Indy + Linux as my low power, low noise, always on internet
    gw, firewall and vtun to work. Plus it looks soo cool. This fits me
    perfectly. With the addition of 2 IDE+SCSI bridges and 2 huge IDE
    disks, it's also going to take over my PC as my raid 1 nfs array,
    which is nice. Should be even quieter too.

    Debian 3 for MIPS installs like a dream in 30 minutes. Just tftp a
    boot image, and point it to your nearest debian FTP mirror.
    Instructions are on debian's site. You'll want to reparition your
    disk, to make the volume label bigger so you can have a few kernels to
    crash. Linux fdisk understands SGI partition labels.

    Mines been as solid as a rock since it started 2 months ago.

    I run it CLI only ATM as the original IBM 600MB disk hasn't really got
    the space for a fullsome X install. I didn't know IndyCam worked, so I
    may try and set that up as a security cam.

    Just letting u know ignore the hecklers - it's fun, easy and stable.

  14. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    "Rob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:b8993cd5.0406070741.625bbde0@posting.google.c om...
    > /me tries to hold cosmos at bay
    >
    > I've done this a couple of times. My reasoning is that my Indy isn't
    > useful to me running IRIX (I have Octane , but as linux has support
    > for the Tun/Tap driver, nice firewall and a tone of lovely GNUness, i
    > can use Indy + Linux as my low power, low noise, always on internet
    > gw, firewall and vtun to work. Plus it looks soo cool. This fits me
    > perfectly. With the addition of 2 IDE+SCSI bridges and 2 huge IDE
    > disks, it's also going to take over my PC as my raid 1 nfs array,
    > which is nice. Should be even quieter too.
    >
    > Debian 3 for MIPS installs like a dream in 30 minutes. Just tftp a
    > boot image, and point it to your nearest debian FTP mirror.
    > Instructions are on debian's site. You'll want to reparition your
    > disk, to make the volume label bigger so you can have a few kernels to
    > crash. Linux fdisk understands SGI partition labels.
    >
    > Mines been as solid as a rock since it started 2 months ago.
    >
    > I run it CLI only ATM as the original IBM 600MB disk hasn't really got
    > the space for a fullsome X install. I didn't know IndyCam worked, so I
    > may try and set that up as a security cam.
    >
    > Just letting u know ignore the hecklers - it's fun, easy and stable.

    All this doesn't even make sense -- noone knows sgi hardware better than
    sgi, which is why IRIX 6.5.xf is the optimal solution. There is a ton of GNU
    freeware provided directly in tardist format by sgi themselves at
    http://freeware.sgi.com/. And I just happen to know they compile and port
    all that stuff with undocumented switches to the MIPSPro C compiler, so the
    speed gains are maximal short of source optimization. Besides, in my
    experience IRIX has a much better throughput than Linux. Don't start flaming
    me, once again, this is my own experience.
    Finally, if you wanted to run an sgi box as a firewall, you could have done
    it very easily with IRIX! All you had to do was remove the built in
    remnants of ipf via `inst` and install Daren Reed's IPFilter, tighten down
    the box, and off you go!
    I still run IRIX (6.5.17f) on my 100MHz IRIS Indigo (IP20) and I get really
    decent performance out of that machine; so I severely fail to see any
    advantages to running Linux or any OS other than IRIX on sgi hardware.

  15. Re: Has anyone setup linux on an Indy and gotten the IndyCam working?

    UNIX admin wrote:

    > "Rob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:b8993cd5.0406070741.625bbde0@posting.google.c om...

    >>perfectly. With the addition of 2 IDE+SCSI bridges and 2 huge IDE
    >>disks, it's also going to take over my PC as my raid 1 nfs array,
    >>which is nice. Should be even quieter too.

    yuck, IDE drives dont belong in SGIs, they belong in crappy peecees or
    some consumer desktop machine. and even worse the INDY only has 10MB
    ethernet so you'll be having a lame, slow-as-treacle file server.

    you'll be better off getting a Mini-ITX with GB eth and ATA-RAID for
    your cash.

    r15k

+ Reply to Thread