Basic proxy newbie question - SGI

This is a discussion on Basic proxy newbie question - SGI ; Hi! Although I know a little irix, I don't know where to start with proxies (or even if I'm barking up the right tree!). I have an Indigo2 and Windows2000 PC hooked up to a hub; I would like to ...

  1. Basic proxy newbie question

    Hi!

    Although I know a little irix, I don't know where to start with
    proxies (or even if I'm barking up the right tree!). I have an
    Indigo2 and Windows2000 PC hooked up to a hub; I would like to be able
    to access web pages which exist on the SGI from the PC, but also to
    access the internet (when the SGI is online, obviously). As I
    understand it the SGI is already running a web server for the online
    books, but I'm not sure how to broardcast webpages across the network,
    nor what address I should use to access them from the PC.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction: what do I need to be
    looking into, where can I find some simple instructions for setting up
    such a system? I've looked in the online SGI help but found very
    little, unless someone knows and can tell me exactly where to look
    (online books).

    Thanks very much!

  2. Re: Basic proxy newbie question

    Jonathan wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Although I know a little irix, I don't know where to start with
    > proxies (or even if I'm barking up the right tree!). I have an
    > Indigo2 and Windows2000 PC hooked up to a hub; I would like to be able
    > to access web pages which exist on the SGI from the PC, but also to
    > access the internet (when the SGI is online, obviously). As I
    > understand it the SGI is already running a web server for the online
    > books, but I'm not sure how to broardcast webpages across the network,
    > nor what address I should use to access them from the PC.

    Squid is an excellent proxy server. You can get it from
    freeware.sgi.com, or build it yourself from www.squid-cache.org.

    The squid.conf file it comes with is well commented. You will likely
    want to change the access control rules, but the rest of it is usually
    adequate for a simple at home setup. I added ident lookup to restrict
    access for my children, and I put in a standard list of local machines
    which are allowed access.

    As well, because of the daft way my ISP works, I have pointed squid at a
    parent cache at my ISP.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant