allowing anonymous ftp - SGI

This is a discussion on allowing anonymous ftp - SGI ; Hi, I want to allow anonymous ftp access to one of my servers. How does one do such a thing on irix. I don't really care about chrooted accounts etc etc but allowing anonymous ftp access would be very useful. ...

  1. allowing anonymous ftp

    Hi,
    I want to allow anonymous ftp access to one of my servers. How does one do
    such a thing on irix. I don't really care about chrooted accounts etc etc
    but allowing anonymous ftp access would be very useful.

    I want to give people access to /usr/people/ftp/

    I've tried adding an account in /etc/passwd called ftp but ftpd it does
    strange things and can't produce directory listings. ftp owns
    /usr/people/ftp and it's got read privalaged to /usr/people/ftp too.

    Can someone shed some light on how this can be set up. I'd like to have it
    so no user name or password has to be entered.

    thanks

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

  2. Re: allowing anonymous ftp

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I want to allow anonymous ftp access to one of my servers. How does one do
    > such a thing on irix. I don't really care about chrooted accounts etc etc
    > but allowing anonymous ftp access would be very useful.
    >
    > I want to give people access to /usr/people/ftp/
    >
    > I've tried adding an account in /etc/passwd called ftp but ftpd it does
    > strange things and can't produce directory listings. ftp owns
    > /usr/people/ftp and it's got read privalaged to /usr/people/ftp too.
    >
    > Can someone shed some light on how this can be set up. I'd like to have it
    > so no user name or password has to be entered.

    Did you try the ftpd man page? It explains how to configure anonymous
    access.

    Jeff Long

  3. Re: allowing anonymous ftp

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:23:42 +0100, Khalid Schofield
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I want to allow anonymous ftp access to one of my servers. How does one do
    >such a thing on irix. I don't really care about chrooted accounts etc etc
    >but allowing anonymous ftp access would be very useful.
    >
    >I want to give people access to /usr/people/ftp/

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...LE47163-PARENT

  4. Re: allowing anonymous ftp

    Hi,
    thanks for all the advice on anonymous ftp. It turned out to be fixed buy
    a chmod.... D'oh. I had all the right files but it kept complaining about
    not being able to set up guest priv's.

    Thanks for all the advice. man ftpd was particularly good advice although
    techpubs.sgi.com was my first port of call :-)

    cheers

    *********************

    On Mon, 3 May 2004, Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I want to allow anonymous ftp access to one of my servers. How does one do
    > such a thing on irix. I don't really care about chrooted accounts etc etc
    > but allowing anonymous ftp access would be very useful.
    >
    > I want to give people access to /usr/people/ftp/
    >
    > I've tried adding an account in /etc/passwd called ftp but ftpd it does
    > strange things and can't produce directory listings. ftp owns
    > /usr/people/ftp and it's got read privalaged to /usr/people/ftp too.
    >
    > Can someone shed some light on how this can be set up. I'd like to have it
    > so no user name or password has to be entered.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician