PANIC : no root found - SGI

This is a discussion on PANIC : no root found - SGI ; Hi, I have an Octane system right here that won't boot after a power outage. It complains about being unable to find the root partition then crashes on a PANIC. Is there a way I can boot in order to ...

  1. PANIC : no root found

    Hi,
    I have an Octane system right here that won't boot after a power
    outage. It complains about being unable to find the root partition then
    crashes on a PANIC.

    Is there a way I can boot in order to test the drives/partitions table?

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    Mathieu Viau
    matv@magma.ca

  2. Re: PANIC : no root found

    In article <87WdnXKPUpLb8wvd4p2dnA@magma.ca>,
    Mathieu Viau wrote:
    : I have an Octane system right here that won't boot after a power
    utage. It complains about being unable to find the root partition then
    :crashes on a PANIC.

    : Is there a way I can boot in order to test the drives/partitions table?

    First thing to try is to stop in the PROM, and once in the prom command
    sash and once you are there, you can ask to ls the various
    partitions by naming them such as

    ls dksc(0,1,8)/

    You can also, as I recall, just ask to ls in order to see what is
    in the drive volume header. What you are looking for is something named
    fx or fx.IP30 and it might be in the volume header or it might
    be in a directory named /stand .

    If your partition table on your drive is hosed or your filesystem is
    corrupted, then you might need to load an installation CD -- the installation
    CDs should have fx on them in -their- volume headers. Be careful, though,
    about asking to "install system software" under the theory that the
    miniroot will have fx -- fx might be there, but the miniroot gets loaded
    on top of whatever the system currently thinks is the boot partition and
    if your partition table is corrupt that might not be in the right place!
    So instead, ask the prom to boot -f dksc(0,4,8)fx.IP30 presuming here that
    your CDROM is at SCSI bus 0, unit 4.

    Actually before all of these work, I'd start by going into the prom and
    asking to printenv and looking at the 'root' variable and other
    variables. They might have gotten corrupted. If so, then resetenv
    and everything else might suddenly start working.

    fx has all kinds of tools for checking out disks and patching up
    partition tables. If you don't have a working SGI system to look at
    the man page for it, then you can find the man page on techpubs.sgi.com .

    --
    Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
    Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they

  3. Re: PANIC : no root found

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <87WdnXKPUpLb8wvd4p2dnA@magma.ca>,
    > Mathieu Viau wrote:
    > : I have an Octane system right here that won't boot after a power
    > utage. It complains about being unable to find the root partition then
    > :crashes on a PANIC.
    >
    > : Is there a way I can boot in order to test the drives/partitions table?
    >
    > First thing to try is to stop in the PROM, and once in the prom command
    > sash and once you are there, you can ask to ls the various
    > partitions by naming them such as
    >
    > ls dksc(0,1,8)/
    >
    > You can also, as I recall, just ask to ls in order to see what is
    > in the drive volume header. What you are looking for is something named
    > fx or fx.IP30 and it might be in the volume header or it might
    > be in a directory named /stand .
    >
    > If your partition table on your drive is hosed or your filesystem is
    > corrupted, then you might need to load an installation CD -- the installation
    > CDs should have fx on them in -their- volume headers. Be careful, though,
    > about asking to "install system software" under the theory that the
    > miniroot will have fx -- fx might be there, but the miniroot gets loaded
    > on top of whatever the system currently thinks is the boot partition and
    > if your partition table is corrupt that might not be in the right place!
    > So instead, ask the prom to boot -f dksc(0,4,8)fx.IP30 presuming here that
    > your CDROM is at SCSI bus 0, unit 4.
    >
    > Actually before all of these work, I'd start by going into the prom and
    > asking to printenv and looking at the 'root' variable and other
    > variables. They might have gotten corrupted. If so, then resetenv
    > and everything else might suddenly start working.
    >

    > fx has all kinds of tools for checking out disks and patching up
    > partition tables. If you don't have a working SGI system to look at
    > the man page for it, then you can find the man page on techpubs.sgi.com .

    Thanks,

    I got to boot miniroot from the installation cdrom. xfs_repair on the
    root partition block device did the thing.

    --
    Mathieu Viau
    matv@magma.ca

+ Reply to Thread