IRIX releases download ? - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX releases download ? - SGI ; Hello. From the page http://support.sgi.com/browse_request/irix_os_downloads is not possible anymore to download old IRIX overlays images. It's only possible to get the latest overlays and this only if you have a suppor contract. Anyone knows why ? thanks Rick...

  1. IRIX releases download ?

    Hello.
    From the page http://support.sgi.com/browse_request/irix_os_downloads
    is not possible anymore to download old IRIX overlays images.
    It's only possible to get the latest overlays and this only if you
    have a suppor contract.
    Anyone knows why ?
    thanks

    Rick

  2. Re: IRIX releases download ?

    In article ,
    RJ45 wrote:

    >Hello.
    >From the page http://support.sgi.com/browse_request/irix_os_downloads
    >is not possible anymore to download old IRIX overlays images.
    >It's only possible to get the latest overlays and this only if you
    >have a suppor contract.

    You should be able to get the two-release-old versions, just not the
    two most recent.

    >Anyone knows why ?

    SGI management seemed to feel that everyone who bought an Indigo2 for
    $100* would be thrilled to send them $500/year/system for the opportunity
    to download some gigabyte+ files twice a year.

    As usual, they were wrong.

    >thanks

    Any time.

    Gary

    *I had five R10K/195 systems waiting for me; one of our admin people
    threw them out the one day week before last that the guy holding them
    for me was out sick. Arrrgh...

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  3. Re: IRIX releases download ?

    Gary Heston wrote:

    > In article ,
    > RJ45 wrote:
    >
    > >Hello.
    > >From the page http://support.sgi.com/browse_request/irix_os_downloads
    > >is not possible anymore to download old IRIX overlays images.
    > >It's only possible to get the latest overlays and this only if you
    > >have a suppor contract.

    > You should be able to get the two-release-old versions, just not the
    > two most recent.
    >
    > >Anyone knows why ?

    > SGI management seemed to feel that everyone who bought an Indigo2 for
    > $100* would be thrilled to send them $500/year/system for the opportunity
    > to download some gigabyte+ files twice a year.

    more likely, sgi management determined that income derived from the after
    market support was not worth the trouble of maintaining muiltiple copies.

    > As usual, they were wrong.

    not if you have an MBA.

    > >thanks

    > Any time.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > *I had five R10K/195 systems waiting for me; one of our admin people
    > threw them out the one day week before last that the guy holding them
    > for me was out sick. Arrrgh...
    >
    > --
    > Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net
    >
    > Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

+ Reply to Thread