Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations - SGI

This is a discussion on Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations - SGI ; I am in the process of installing a 3 terabyte RAID on an Altix system running propack2.4 with kernel 2.4.21 The RAID manufacturer says that unmodified versions of redhat enterprise have a terabyte partition limit. I assume this is not ...

  1. Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    I am in the process of installing a 3 terabyte RAID
    on an Altix system running propack2.4 with kernel 2.4.21
    The RAID manufacturer says that unmodified versions
    of redhat enterprise have a terabyte partition limit.
    I assume this is not true of Propack 2.4?

    What are the preferred programs to partition (fdisk?) and
    create an xfs filesystem (mkfs.xfs?) ?

    --
    Daniel Packman
    NCAR/ACD

  2. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    Dans article , pack@eos.ucar.edu disait...
    > The RAID manufacturer says that unmodified versions
    > of redhat enterprise have a terabyte partition limit.
    > I assume this is not true of Propack 2.4?

    Dunno. However it's supposed to be a limitation of 2.4 kernel, so...

    > What are the preferred programs to partition (fdisk?) and
    > create an xfs filesystem (mkfs.xfs?) ?

    fdisk is fine. The other tools (cfdisk) can't work with more than 1 TB
    volumes. "mkfs -t xfs " works.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  3. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    pack@eos.ucar.edu (Daniel Packman) wrote in message news:...
    > I am in the process of installing a 3 terabyte RAID
    > on an Altix system running propack2.4 with kernel 2.4.21
    > The RAID manufacturer says that unmodified versions
    > of redhat enterprise have a terabyte partition limit.
    > I assume this is not true of Propack 2.4?
    >
    > What are the preferred programs to partition (fdisk?) and
    > create an xfs filesystem (mkfs.xfs?) ?

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...dmin/LX_XFS_AG
    says:

    > The maximum size of an XFS filesystem under SGI ProPack for Linux is 2^64 bytes.
    > The maximum size of an XFS file under SGI ProPack for Linux is 2^63-1 bytes.

    One more thing to keep in mind, the maximum block size on ProPack for
    Linux is 16k, so some filesystems created in IRIX with larger block
    sizes may not work.

    fdisk is the right tool to partition disks because it allows you to
    put an SGI label (needed for xvm). Just go into the expert menu and
    it's one of the options.

    mkfs.xfs is indeed the tool used to make filesystems.

    The only volume manager supported right now is xvm (except if you are
    going to mirror root, in which case you have to use md).

  4. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    Dans article ,
    cech@minn.net disait...

    > > The maximum size of an XFS filesystem under SGI ProPack for Linux is 2^64 bytes.
    > > The maximum size of an XFS file under SGI ProPack for Linux is 2^63-1 bytes.

    This is indeed true, but that's entirely different from the maximum LUN
    size... There was the same limitation in IRIX until the advent of XVM :
    maximum LUN size 1TB, but max fs size 2^64 bytes.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  5. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    In article , Daniel Packman wrote:
    > I am in the process of installing a 3 terabyte RAID
    > on an Altix system running propack2.4 with kernel 2.4.21
    > The RAID manufacturer says that unmodified versions
    > of redhat enterprise have a terabyte partition limit.
    > I assume this is not true of Propack 2.4?

    The advice from the XFS developers seems to be to stick to max 1 TB
    filesystems with the 2.4 kernels. Up to 2 TB can work if you're
    lucky.. Ref:

    http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/namazu.cg...mal&sort=score

    Best bet is to upgrade to the 2.6 kernels, then you can use the full
    3 TB raid in a single fs.

    -jf

  6. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    [Response mailed *and* posted]
    Daniel Packman wrote:

    > I am in the process of installing a 3 terabyte RAID
    > on an Altix system running propack2.4 with kernel 2.4.21
    > The RAID manufacturer says that unmodified versions
    > of redhat enterprise have a terabyte partition limit.
    > I assume this is not true of Propack 2.4?

    Well, SCSI addressing uses 32 bit sector addressing, and
    one sector is 512 bytes -- it's going to be hard to go
    over 2TB with that...

    In a single LUN, that is; if you want bigger XVM volumes,
    you can salice a volume group into multiple LUNs and
    reassemble with XVM at the other end...

    There are also (in the 2.4 kernel) limitations that limit
    a filesystem to 2TB - SGI has reimplemented the SCSI layer
    and XFS, but not the block layer, so you're temporarily stuck
    with 2TB per filesystem.

    Much greater goodness in 2.6 kernels, but that's not productized
    yet (and I think the first *supported* distro will be SuSe SLES9,
    but it's going to be missing many Propack goodies).

    > What are the preferred programs to partition (fdisk?)

    Yup. The only one that can make SGI-special labels that can
    be used for XVM. parted can read/write some labels that fdisk
    can't and vice-versa, though.

    and
    > create an xfs filesystem (mkfs.xfs?) ?

    Yup.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  7. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    > This is indeed true, but that's entirely different from the maximum LUN
    > size... There was the same limitation in IRIX until the advent of XVM :
    > maximum LUN size 1TB,

    Changed recently to 2TB -- the SGI volume header now fully uses the 32 bits
    for partition offsets as unsigned integers.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  8. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    Le Mon, 03 May 2004 13:51:23 +0200, Alexis Cousein écrivait:

    > Changed recently to 2TB -- the SGI volume header now fully uses the 32
    > bits for partition offsets as unsigned integers.

    Is it backward-compatible with the older releases of IRIX? Will a 2TB
    LUN be accessible from an older revision?

    --
    Ce qu'il y a d'enivrant dans le mauvais goût
    c'est le plaisir aristocratique de déplaire.

  9. Re: Altix propack2.4 filesystem limitations

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Is it backward-compatible with the older releases of IRIX? Will a 2TB
    > LUN be accessible from an older revision?

    Nope. It will see a negative offset for the start of a partition and/or
    size. Not Good.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

+ Reply to Thread