How do i boot my o2 from CD - SGI

This is a discussion on How do i boot my o2 from CD - SGI ; Hello, Could someone tell me how to boot up of the installation tools cd so i can bypass my root password. the mouse doesnt work on the startup screen where you can click the stop for maintenence screen, but works ...

  1. How do i boot my o2 from CD

    Hello,
    Could someone tell me how to boot up of the installation tools cd so i can
    bypass my root password. the mouse doesnt work on the startup screen where
    you can click the stop for maintenence screen, but works fine in 4dwm, is
    that normal.
    I know how to edit the passwd file but cant get to it.
    Cheers
    ian

  2. Re: How do i boot my o2 from CD

    ian webb wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Could someone tell me how to boot up of the installation tools cd so i can
    > bypass my root password. the mouse doesnt work on the startup screen where
    > you can click the stop for maintenence screen, but works fine in 4dwm, is
    > that normal.
    > I know how to edit the passwd file but cant get to it.
    > Cheers
    > ian

    Ian,

    You should be able to just hit Escape on your keyboard to get to the
    maintenance screen.

    Next, select the System Software option, then indicate that you will
    be loading from CDROM. Make sure that Installation Tools and Overlays
    (1 of __) is in the drive. That should get you to a miniroot.

    Good luck.

    -zolo

  3. Re: How do i boot my o2 from CD

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:34:09 +0100, "ian webb" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >Could someone tell me how to boot up of the installation tools cd so i can
    >bypass my root password. the mouse doesnt work on the startup screen where
    >you can click the stop for maintenence screen, but works fine in 4dwm, is
    >that normal.

    Looks like you have the mouse pluged in the keyboard port, swap them over and
    try again. Xsgi is clever enough to put them right, the prom isn't.

+ Reply to Thread