Using Arthur Olson's tz data on Irix - SGI

This is a discussion on Using Arthur Olson's tz data on Irix - SGI ; Is there some reason SGI doesn't use Arthur Olson's tz data ? I needed this with the new datatime code in the R stats package, so for now it is installed in /usr/local. It would be nice to use, e.g, ...

  1. Using Arthur Olson's tz data on Irix

    Is there some reason SGI doesn't use Arthur Olson's tz data
    ?

    I needed this with the new datatime code in the R stats package, so for
    now it is installed in /usr/local. It would be nice to use, e.g,
    TZ=Canada/Halifax and get DST properly, but SGI's (Irix 6.5.21m)
    /usr/lib/international/timezones has:

    timezone ca_ast { tzspec= AST4 } (instead of AST4ADT)

    with:
    Timezone.ca_ast: Canada/Atlantic

    in /usr/lib/international/en/Timezones.

    --
    George N. White III
    Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

  2. Re: Using Arthur Olson's tz data on Irix

    "George N. White III" wrote:

    > Is there some reason SGI doesn't use Arthur Olson's tz data
    > ?
    >
    > I needed this with the new datatime code in the R stats package, so for
    > now it is installed in /usr/local. It would be nice to use, e.g,
    > TZ=Canada/Halifax and get DST properly, but SGI's (Irix 6.5.21m)
    > /usr/lib/international/timezones has:
    >
    > timezone ca_ast { tzspec= AST4 } (instead of AST4ADT)
    >
    > with:
    > Timezone.ca_ast: Canada/Atlantic
    >
    > in /usr/lib/international/en/Timezones.

    Try putting a colon before the timezone spec:

    cow 19% echo $TZ
    :Europe/London
    cow 20% date
    Wed Apr 28 19:27:00 BST 2004
    cow 21% setenv TZ :Canada/Halifax
    cow 22% date
    Wed Apr 28 18:27:17 GMT 2004
    cow 23% setenv TZ :Canada/Atlantic
    cow 24% date
    Wed Apr 28 15:27:43 ADT 2004

    Mine doesn't seem to know of Halifax.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  3. Re: Using Arthur Olson's tz data on Irix

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Tristram Scott wrote:

    > "George N. White III" wrote:
    > >
    > > Is there some reason SGI doesn't use Arthur Olson's tz data
    > > ?
    > >
    > > I needed this with the new datatime code in the R stats package, so for
    > > now it is installed in /usr/local. It would be nice to use, e.g,
    > > TZ=Canada/Halifax and get DST properly, but SGI's (Irix 6.5.21m)
    > > /usr/lib/international/timezones has:
    > >
    > > timezone ca_ast { tzspec= AST4 } (instead of AST4ADT)
    > >
    > > with:
    > > Timezone.ca_ast: Canada/Atlantic
    > >
    > > in /usr/lib/international/en/Timezones.
    > >

    > Try putting a colon before the timezone spec:
    >
    > cow 19% echo $TZ
    > :Europe/London
    > cow 20% date
    > Wed Apr 28 19:27:00 BST 2004
    > cow 21% setenv TZ :Canada/Halifax
    > cow 22% date
    > Wed Apr 28 18:27:17 GMT 2004
    > cow 23% setenv TZ :Canada/Atlantic
    > cow 24% date
    > Wed Apr 28 15:27:43 ADT 2004
    >
    > Mine doesn't seem to know of Halifax.

    From some private emails I learned that 6.5.19f has Olson's
    database in eoe.sw.base. Then I found it on our 6.5.22m systems:

    $ /sbin/uname -aR
    IRIX64 [...] 6.5 6.5.22m 10070055 IP30
    $ showfiles eoe.sw.base | grep TZ
    f 11649 20003 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/africa
    f 45578 26997 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/asia
    f 11309 27954 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/australasia
    f 56271 2985 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/backward
    f 37003 1687 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/etcetera
    f 21755 88582 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/europe
    f 38515 311 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/factory
    f 25667 35826 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/northamerica
    f 4425 1107 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/pacificnew
    f 15976 19159 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/solar87
    f 39829 19177 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/solar88
    f 32211 19453 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/solar89
    f 29073 15106 eoe.sw.base usr/lib/locale/TZ/southamerica

    --
    George N. White III
    Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

  4. Re: Using Arthur Olson's tz data on Irix

    George N. White III wrote:

    > Is there some reason SGI doesn't use Arthur Olson's tz data
    > ?

    Support and standards compliance.

    But if you actually install the database and use the proper TZ syntax
    (i.e. with a colon), it'll Work ( as opposed to Be Supported) in a recent
    IRIX.

    > I needed this with the new datatime code in the R stats package, so for
    > now it is installed in /usr/local. It would be nice to use, e.g,
    > TZ=Canada/Halifax and get DST properly, but SGI's (Irix 6.5.21m)
    > /usr/lib/international/timezones has:
    >
    > timezone ca_ast { tzspec= AST4 } (instead of AST4ADT)
    >
    > with:
    > Timezone.ca_ast: Canada/Atlantic
    >
    > in /usr/lib/international/en/Timezones.
    >
    > --
    > George N. White III
    > Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  5. Re: Using Arthur Olson's tz data on Irix

    Alexis Cousein wrote:

    > George N. White III wrote:
    >
    >> Is there some reason SGI doesn't use Arthur Olson's tz data
    >> ?

    > Support and standards compliance.
    >
    > But if you actually install the database and use the proper TZ syntax
    > (i.e. with a colon), it'll Work ( as opposed to Be Supported) in a recent
    > IRIX.

    Mhh -- it's supported on any IRIX flavour that reports it in the environ
    and/or TZ man pages -- it's only "working, but unsupported" on other versions
    in which it works but isn't in the man page ;}.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

+ Reply to Thread