altix 3000 reboot problem - SGI

This is a discussion on altix 3000 reboot problem - SGI ; hello, We have SGI Altix 3000 Machine in our lab. I connected it with my Red Hat box using ssh and was configuring SAMBA in it. I later rebooted the SGI Altix machine by mistake. Now I am not able ...

  1. altix 3000 reboot problem

    hello,

    We have SGI Altix 3000 Machine in our lab. I connected it with my Red Hat
    box using ssh and was configuring SAMBA in it. I later rebooted the
    SGI Altix machine by mistake. Now I am not able to connect with
    that machine using SSH.

    I am very new to SGI Altix system. Any help on the booting procedure and
    how every brick gets loaded would be appreciated.

    Regards,
    Tejas Kokje
    University of Southern California

  2. Re: altix 3000 reboot problem

    Tejas Kokje wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > We have SGI Altix 3000 Machine in our lab. I connected it with my Red Hat
    > box using ssh and was configuring SAMBA in it. I later rebooted the
    > SGI Altix machine by mistake. Now I am not able to connect with
    > that machine using SSH.

    Do you have a console connection? Can you ping the system?

    > I am very new to SGI Altix system. Any help on the booting procedure and
    > how every brick gets loaded would be appreciated.

    Please review the publications at http://techpubs.sgi.com/

    From power on an Altix goes through a discovery process to see what
    L1 controllers (brick level) there are and how they are connected.
    It then boots to the standard IA64 EFI layer. At this point the
    standard from SGI configuration is to boot Linux after a 7 second wait.
    Jeff Hanson - jhanson@sgi.com - Field Technical Analyst

    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill. - Lee/Lifeson/Peart

  3. Re: altix 3000 reboot problem

    Tejas Kokje wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > We have SGI Altix 3000 Machine in our lab. I connected it with my Red Hat
    > box using ssh and was configuring SAMBA in it. I later rebooted the
    > SGI Altix machine by mistake. Now I am not able to connect with
    > that machine using SSH.

    You need to connect via a serial cable to the console to see what it's doing...

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

+ Reply to Thread