Free maintenance releases past IRIX 6.5.17m? - SGI

This is a discussion on Free maintenance releases past IRIX 6.5.17m? - SGI ; Hi, I had heard that we would no longer be able to legally upgrade to anything beyond 6.5.17m without paying for a license. Is this true? I would really like to upgrade to IRIX6.5.22m, but desire to be up and ...

  1. Free maintenance releases past IRIX 6.5.17m?

    Hi,

    I had heard that we would no longer be able to legally upgrade to
    anything beyond 6.5.17m without paying for a license. Is this true?
    I would really like to upgrade to IRIX6.5.22m, but desire to be up and
    up on the legality.

    Thanks,
    Doug

    --
    Douglas V. Mashek mailto:doug@mashek.com
    Mashek Systems Group www: http://www.mashek.com

  2. Re: Free maintenance releases past IRIX 6.5.17m?

    Hi Doug,

    Search comp.sys.sgi.admin for a thread called 'SGI "Sort-of"
    Discontinues Free Maintenance Release Downloads w/6.5.18' for a
    lengthy, flame-filled discussion. The reality of the situation is not,
    IMHO, nearly as bad as the flamers suggest. Basically, you can
    download the N-3 version of the Maintenance Stream, where N = the
    current release.

    The key bits from SGI's announcement are quoted below:

    http://support.sgi.com/news/support/...mentation.html

    "With the release of IRIX® 6.5.18 in November 2002, SGI will no longer
    provide complimentary downloads of IRIX® Maintenance Releases. As with
    Feature Releases, a support contract will be required to download IRIX
    Maintenance Releases."

    but...

    "When security and data integrity patches are released, complimentary
    access to the oldest compatible version of the M Stream will be made
    available. Since patches are developed for and tested against the
    current and three-prior IRIX releases, access to IRIX "N-3" is the
    minimum requirement for all customers to be able to apply for the
    patch. So for example, if a security patch is developed while IRIX
    6.5.18 is the current release, the M Stream for IRIX® 6.5.15 will be
    made available along with the patch"

    "Douglas V. Mashek" wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had heard that we would no longer be able to legally upgrade to
    > anything beyond 6.5.17m without paying for a license. Is this true?
    > I would really like to upgrade to IRIX6.5.22m, but desire to be up and
    > up on the legality.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Doug

  3. Re: Free maintenance releases past IRIX 6.5.17m?

    josehill@canada.com (Jose Hill) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi Doug,
    >
    > Search comp.sys.sgi.admin for a thread called 'SGI "Sort-of"
    > Discontinues Free Maintenance Release Downloads w/6.5.18' for a
    > lengthy, flame-filled discussion. The reality of the situation is not,
    > IMHO, nearly as bad as the flamers suggest. Basically, you can
    > download the N-3 version of the Maintenance Stream, where N = the
    > current release.

    There were also several posts - from Alexis I think - which detailed
    how you could still get the latest and greatest IRIX maintenance
    release by being registered with both SupportFolio and the Developer
    program.

    Google is your friend for the exact details.

    Cheers,
    TOM

  4. Re: Free maintenance releases past IRIX 6.5.17m?

    On 2004-04-23 13:19:43 +0200, tom@siliconbunny.com (Tom Kranz) said:

    ok
    ,,,,, I searched on Google and came up with very little.....
    any more hints on how to do this?

    --
    kind regards

    nse

    "Ach, crivens, what a wee snotter....."

    Quote from "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett

  5. Re: Free maintenance releases past IRIX 6.5.17m?

    Niels Eliasen wrote:
    > On 2004-04-23 13:19:43 +0200, tom@siliconbunny.com (Tom Kranz) said:
    >
    > ok
    > ,,,,, I searched on Google and came up with very little.....
    > any more hints on how to do this?

    http://www.sgi.com/developers/techno...intenance.html

    Erik

+ Reply to Thread