Re: freeware applications ? - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: freeware applications ? - SGI ; > On 2004-03-31, Khalid Schofield wrote: > >>Great news! I agree... freeware is much appreciated, and is sorely missed when packages get out of date. Keep up the fine work. wave++ wrote: > No, I'm not an emacs fanatic. But ...

  1. Re: freeware applications ?

    wave++ wrote:

    > No, I'm not an emacs fanatic. But I replaced vim with elvis lately. If
    > only it worked right inside an xwsh... The hex mode is just superb.
    > The VIM's idea of editing binary files with :%!xxd, but still try to
    > integrate perl/tcl/python into the vortex is just pathetic.

    Which has the excellent binary editor Elvis, VIM, or emacs? How do you
    get at it?

    Thanks,
    Doug
    --
    Douglas V. Mashek mailto:doug@mashek.com
    Mashek Systems Group www: http://www.mashek.com

  2. Re: freeware applications ?

    On 2004-04-20, Douglas V. Mashek wrote:
    > Which has the excellent binary editor Elvis, VIM, or emacs? How do you
    > get at it?

    Elvis: http://elvis.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/
    Looks a lot like bvi if you're familiar with it.

    How to get at it...
    elvis :dis hex
    vim :%!xxd
    emacs M-x hexl-mode

    But I'm still searching for something like an interactive "hexdump" (so
    I can format the binary data on the fly). If you know good alternatives,
    let me know.

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!

  3. Re: freeware applications ?

    On 20 Apr 2004 20:46:14 GMT
    wave++ wrote:

    > On 2004-04-20, Douglas V. Mashek wrote:
    > > Which has the excellent binary editor Elvis, VIM, or emacs? How do
    > > you get at it?

    > Elvis: http://elvis.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/
    > Looks a lot like bvi if you're familiar with it.
    >
    > How to get at it...
    > elvis :dis hex
    > vim :%!xxd
    > emacs M-x hexl-mode
    >
    > But I'm still searching for something like an interactive "hexdump"
    > (so I can format the binary data on the fly). If you know good
    > alternatives, let me know.

    Hmm, xxd can convert back to binary too, (but not from the "interpreted"
    view on the right).
    just edit the hex values and :%!xxd -r

    Regards,

    --
    Staffan Thomén
    GPG key: 1024D/7C7E2EF8

  4. Re: freeware applications ?

    On 2004-04-26, Staffan Thomen wrote:
    > Hmm, xxd can convert back to binary too, (but not from the "interpreted"
    > view on the right).
    > just edit the hex values and :%!xxd -r

    Yes, I was aware of that, but It's almost completely useless for any
    serious editing. It plays well for little ascii files (when you hardly
    need hex afterall), but then again it requires the entire buffer to be
    stored on swap and expanded in ascii in a *32 factor. Plus, it's only
    a mere hack: offsets don't get updated at all, no offset search, no
    hex search, no text search.

    In fact, apart from -r, I don't see any practical difference from
    using od alone, nor any better than BSD's hd.

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!
    \__/ \_ WARNING: the email address is fake.

  5. Re: freeware applications ?

    wave++ wrote:
    : On 2004-04-20, Douglas V. Mashek wrote:
    :> Which has the excellent binary editor Elvis, VIM, or emacs? How do you
    :> get at it?

    : How to get at it...
    : elvis :dis hex
    : vim :%!xxd
    : emacs M-x hexl-mode

    : But I'm still searching for something like an interactive "hexdump" (so
    : I can format the binary data on the fly). If you know good alternatives,
    : let me know.

    fm (not /usr/sbin/fm but
    )

    --
    finger spd@shiva.cps.unizar.es for PGP /
    ..mailcap tip of the day: / La vida es una carcel

+ Reply to Thread