Irix install trouble on Indigo2 - SGI

This is a discussion on Irix install trouble on Indigo2 - SGI ; First off, I'm a complete IRIX noobie, so I'd like to apologize ahead of time. I'm trying to install IRIX 6.5 on an Indigo2 with an empty hard drive, and am completely stuck at the beginning of the process. I ...

  1. Irix install trouble on Indigo2

    First off, I'm a complete IRIX noobie, so I'd like to apologize ahead of
    time.

    I'm trying to install IRIX 6.5 on an Indigo2 with an empty hard drive,
    and am completely stuck at the beginning of the process.

    I have a Seagate hard drive (that previously had god knows what on it)
    that's seen as scsi(0)disk(1), and an internal Toshiba CD-ROM (XM-3401B)
    as scsi(0)disk(2).

    I've gotten to fx, and used every combination of auto and label create
    all and sync that I can come up with, but no luck. The "Install System
    Software" icon is still grayed out, and typing 2 doesn't do anything either.

    If I go into Sash and try install, it claims to load up the files, but
    then I get "unable to load scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)/unix
    no such file or directory"

    Hopefully, I'm just missing something stupid. Failing that, there could
    be a problem with the drive (though it does seem to make it all the way
    through the tests when I try Auto).

    Here's what I have for the disk label, in case it's of help.

    --partitions--
    part type blocks megabytes
    0 xfs 266240+17516872 130+8553
    1 raw 4096+262144 2+128
    8 volhdr 0+4096 0+2
    10 volume 0+17783112 0+8683

    --boot info--
    root partition=0 swap partition=1 bootfile=/unix

    --directory entries--
    0=sgilabel block 2 size 512

    --sgi-info--
    serial= name=Seagate ST19171N 0023

    I would be eternally indebted for any help whatesoever. Thanks a lot.

    Joshua

  2. Re: Irix install trouble on Indigo2

    Try to (exe)rcise the disk. If I'm correct, it's essentially a format.
    Then try to install.

    -Dave

    "Joshua Muse" wrote in message
    > First off, I'm a complete IRIX noobie, so I'd like to apologize ahead of
    > time.
    >
    > I'm trying to install IRIX 6.5 on an Indigo2 with an empty hard drive,
    > and am completely stuck at the beginning of the process.
    >
    > I have a Seagate hard drive (that previously had god knows what on it)
    > that's seen as scsi(0)disk(1), and an internal Toshiba CD-ROM (XM-3401B)
    > as scsi(0)disk(2).
    >
    > I've gotten to fx, and used every combination of auto and label create
    > all and sync that I can come up with, but no luck. The "Install System
    > Software" icon is still grayed out, and typing 2 doesn't do anything

    either.

    > If I go into Sash and try install, it claims to load up the files, but
    > then I get "unable to load scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)/unix
    > no such file or directory"
    >
    > Hopefully, I'm just missing something stupid. Failing that, there could
    > be a problem with the drive (though it does seem to make it all the way
    > through the tests when I try Auto).
    >
    > Here's what I have for the disk label, in case it's of help.
    >
    > --partitions--
    > part type blocks megabytes
    > 0 xfs 266240+17516872 130+8553
    > 1 raw 4096+262144 2+128
    > 8 volhdr 0+4096 0+2
    > 10 volume 0+17783112 0+8683
    >
    > --boot info--
    > root partition=0 swap partition=1 bootfile=/unix
    >
    > --directory entries--
    > 0=sgilabel block 2 size 512
    >
    > --sgi-info--
    > serial= name=Seagate ST19171N 0023
    >
    > I would be eternally indebted for any help whatesoever. Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Joshua

  3. Re: Irix install trouble on Indigo2

    "Joshua Muse" wrote in message

    > I'm trying to install IRIX 6.5 on an Indigo2 with an empty hard drive,
    > and am completely stuck at the beginning of the process.
    >
    > I have a Seagate hard drive (that previously had god knows what on it)
    > that's seen as scsi(0)disk(1), and an internal Toshiba CD-ROM

    (XM-3401B)
    > as scsi(0)disk(2).

    I _think_ I've seen a Seagate 19171N used successfully in an Indigo2.
    Whatever was on the disk before is probably of no consequence.
    > I've gotten to fx, and used every combination of auto and label create
    > all and sync that I can come up with, but no luck. The "Install System
    > Software" icon is still grayed out, and typing 2 doesn't do anything

    either.

    By the way, in more than 20 years of dealing heavily with IRIX, I've
    _never_
    seen the "Install System Software" icon "grayed out". That is extremely
    suspicious!
    You didn't indicate how you "got to" fx, but I suspect you did something
    like this from the PROM command line, with the proper CD-ROM in the
    drive:
    boot -f dksc(0,2,8)sash.ARCS dksc(0,2,8)fx.ARCS --x [_two_ hyphens!]
    --or possibly--
    boot -f dksc(0,2,8)sash.ARCS dksc(0,2,0)/stand/fx.ARCS --x [_two_
    hyphens!]

    At that point you ought to be able to partition the drive as a
    [ro]otdrive,
    possibly after running "auto", which should eventually give you a drive
    that
    is "low-level formatted", that is, ready to have the installation tools
    loaded
    into the raw swap partition at dksc(0,1,1). The drive will very likely
    _not_
    have a filesystem at dksc(0,1,0) after you run "auto", meaning at some
    point you will have to run "mkfs", or more likely, once you get into the
    actual installation tool, the system will prompt you, and give you a
    menu,
    to create the actual root filesystem.
    > If I go into Sash and try install, it claims to load up the files, but
    > then I get "unable to load scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)/unix
    > no such file or directory"

    I'm a bit confused here. The only place you can get a sash is from the
    CD-ROM at this point, if you really have an "empty" scsi(0)disk(1). I
    know
    there is an option to calling sash at this point that should load sash
    in
    "installation" mode; I just don't remember what that option is.
    Another point of confusion is that error message. I don't _think_ the
    slash (/) before "unix" is necessary, because there is no filesystem on
    the raw swap partition, which is indicated by "partition(1)" in the
    error
    message. That would point toward a problem with a PROM environment
    variable, something like "BootPartition" being set, incorrectly, with
    the
    trailing slash. Try a "printenv" at the PROM command line, and look
    very
    closely at the entries having to do with booting the system. Remember,
    IRIX booting is a two-stage process, wherein the system first boots into
    the Standalone Shell, sash, and then sash, having some rudimentary
    knowledge of filesystems and such, can continue to boot the IRIX system.
    While you're at it, look closely at all of the PROM environment
    variables;
    any number of them could lead you astray at this point, if they're
    incorrect.
    [Later] Another possibility that just occurred to me is that the disk
    you are
    trying to load IRIX on was, at some point prior to your receiving it,
    having
    an IRIX loaded onto it; it's in a kind of limbo state, and that might
    account
    for the "grayed out" "Install System Software" icon--the system detects
    that a software installation was interrupted, although you will usually
    be
    presented with a warning to that effect. However, all of the things you
    have done with fx (auto, label/create/all, etc.) might have introduced a
    very confused state of things. Just something else to think about!
    > Hopefully, I'm just missing something stupid. Failing that, there

    could
    > be a problem with the drive (though it does seem to make it all the

    way
    > through the tests when I try Auto).
    >
    > Here's what I have for the disk label, in case it's of help.
    >
    > --partitions--
    > part type blocks megabytes
    > 0 xfs 266240+17516872 130+8553
    > 1 raw 4096+262144 2+128
    > 8 volhdr 0+4096 0+2
    > 10 volume 0+17783112 0+8683

    Okay, the numbers (blocks/megabytes) add up correctly, which is a good
    thing. I'm puzzled, though, about how fx "sees" what appears to be a
    perfectly well-formed IRIX root drive at this point, unless that is the
    way
    you received the drive. At any rate, the partition table indicates that
    this
    is _not_ precisely an empty disk! If there were no partition table
    there, or
    if it contained no information, I would consider that to be an empty
    disk,
    at least in the IRIX/SGI world.
    > --boot info--
    > root partition=0 swap partition=1 bootfile=/unix

    The "boot-info" section looks good.
    > --directory entries--
    > 0=sgilabel block 2 size 512

    The "directory entries" section looks a little bit lean, but if you can
    ever
    get the thing to install an actual system, you should see a copy of
    sash,
    symmon, possibly a few other items in the volume header directory.
    > --sgi-info--
    > serial= name=Seagate ST19171N 0023

    I'm bothered by the fact that the "serial" entry in "sgi-info" appears
    to be
    null. Usually I would expect to see _something_ there, even if it
    appears
    to be gibberish. This might indicate an actual hardware problem, a bent
    pin, dust on the connector(s). Check out what you can here.
    > I would be eternally indebted for any help whatesoever. Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Joshua

    I hope I've given you something to go with here. My IRIX is a little
    bit
    rusty after a number of months "off the job".

  4. Re: Irix install trouble on Indigo2

    Joshua Muse wrote:

    > I have a Seagate hard drive (that previously had god knows what on it)
    > that's seen as scsi(0)disk(1), and an internal Toshiba CD-ROM (XM-3401B)
    > as scsi(0)disk(2).

    maybe resetenv the prom, in case there are some custom vars set.

    r15k

  5. Re: Irix install trouble on Indigo2

    In article ,
    Joshua Muse wrote:
    >First off, I'm a complete IRIX noobie, so I'd like to apologize ahead of
    >time.

    >I'm trying to install IRIX 6.5 on an Indigo2 with an empty hard drive,
    >and am completely stuck at the beginning of the process.

    [ ... ]

    http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/6.5inst.html

    A cure for your noobieness...

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  6. Re: Irix install trouble on Indigo2

    Gary Heston wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Joshua Muse wrote:
    > >First off, I'm a complete IRIX noobie, so I'd like to apologize ahead of
    > >time.

    > >I'm trying to install IRIX 6.5 on an Indigo2 with an empty hard drive,
    > >and am completely stuck at the beginning of the process.

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/6.5inst.html
    >
    > A cure for your noobieness...
    >
    > Gary

    Hmmm.... 'noobieness'. That some sort of computer virus?

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator

  7. Re: Irix install trouble on Indigo2

    I just wanted to thank everyone for their amazingly quick responses.

    Ultimately, it turned out to be a environmental variable (as Dennis and
    r15k suggested). I'd been trying to Resetenv in Sash, which doesn't do
    anything...when I finally tried Resetenv in the Command Monitor, up
    popped Install System Software.

    Unfortunately, I didn't make a list of the previous settings, so I don't
    know which one in particular was stopping me, but now I'm on to the
    actual installation.

    Again, thank you very much for your responses. It thoroughly renews my
    hope for getting this thing running.

    Joshua "Slightly Less Filled With Noobiness" Muse

    Summary for posterity:

    If you can't get the "Install System Software" option to appear on the
    main menu in Irix, try resetting your environmental variables to factory
    settings. Go in to Command Monitor and type "resetenv."

    Joshua Muse wrote:
    > First off, I'm a complete IRIX noobie, so I'd like to apologize ahead of
    > time.
    >
    > I'm trying to install IRIX 6.5 on an Indigo2 with an empty hard drive,
    > and am completely stuck at the beginning of the process.
    >
    > I have a Seagate hard drive (that previously had god knows what on it)
    > that's seen as scsi(0)disk(1), and an internal Toshiba CD-ROM (XM-3401B)
    > as scsi(0)disk(2).
    >
    > I've gotten to fx, and used every combination of auto and label create
    > all and sync that I can come up with, but no luck. The "Install System
    > Software" icon is still grayed out, and typing 2 doesn't do anything
    > either.
    >
    > If I go into Sash and try install, it claims to load up the files, but
    > then I get "unable to load scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)/unix
    > no such file or directory"
    >
    > Hopefully, I'm just missing something stupid. Failing that, there could
    > be a problem with the drive (though it does seem to make it all the way
    > through the tests when I try Auto).
    >
    > Here's what I have for the disk label, in case it's of help.
    >
    > --partitions--
    > part type blocks megabytes
    > 0 xfs 266240+17516872 130+8553
    > 1 raw 4096+262144 2+128
    > 8 volhdr 0+4096 0+2
    > 10 volume 0+17783112 0+8683
    >
    > --boot info--
    > root partition=0 swap partition=1 bootfile=/unix
    >
    > --directory entries--
    > 0=sgilabel block 2 size 512
    >
    > --sgi-info--
    > serial= name=Seagate ST19171N 0023
    >
    > I would be eternally indebted for any help whatesoever. Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Joshua

+ Reply to Thread