TARGOS Expression problem? - SGI

This is a discussion on TARGOS Expression problem? - SGI ; OK...I admit I'm a bit of a newbie: When I run inst or software manager, I get the following error: ERROR: Syntax error in mach expression TARGOS >= 1274627340 Any idea what might be wrong? -Dave...

  1. TARGOS Expression problem?

    OK...I admit I'm a bit of a newbie:

    When I run inst or software manager, I get the following error:

    ERROR: Syntax error in mach expression TARGOS >= 1274627340

    Any idea what might be wrong?

    -Dave

  2. Re: TARGOS Expression problem?

    In article <651fc.131852$w54.874153@attbi_s01>,
    Dave wrote:

    > OK...I admit I'm a bit of a newbie:
    >
    > When I run inst or software manager, I get the following error:
    >
    > ERROR: Syntax error in mach expression TARGOS >= 1274627340
    >
    > Any idea what might be wrong?

    Perhaps an old version of inst with a newer distribution? What's
    the OS version (uname -aR) and what are you trying to install?

    Joseph Michaud - SGI Apps Eng 978-562-8894 x483-8894 jmichaud@sgi.com

  3. Re: TARGOS Expression problem?

    It doesn't matter what I'm trying to install. It does the same with any
    installation. As far as version, Irix 6.2 on an Indy R5000.

    Thanks.
    -Dave

    "Joseph Michaud" wrote in message
    > In article <651fc.131852$w54.874153@attbi_s01>,
    > Dave wrote:
    > >
    > > OK...I admit I'm a bit of a newbie:
    > >
    > > When I run inst or software manager, I get the following error:
    > >
    > > ERROR: Syntax error in mach expression TARGOS >= 1274627340
    > >
    > > Any idea what might be wrong?
    > >

    > Perhaps an old version of inst with a newer distribution? What's
    > the OS version (uname -aR) and what are you trying to install?
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Michaud - SGI Apps Eng 978-562-8894 x483-8894 jmichaud@sgi.com

  4. Re: TARGOS Expression problem?

    Well, inst file formats *have* changed over the years which is why
    I asked about versions. Do you see this sort of problem when you
    run inst on some 6.2 distributions (like on the distribuition of
    the OS that is on the machine)?

    One more thing . . . look at the top level of the distribution
    you're trying to install. Inst is supposed to have some magic in
    it looking for a redirect file to choose which sub-directory to
    pick depending on the OS that you're currently running. Try
    installing that particular subdirectory directly.

    Joe

    In article ,
    Dave wrote:

    > It doesn't matter what I'm trying to install. It does the same with any
    > installation. As far as version, Irix 6.2 on an Indy R5000.
    >
    > "Joseph Michaud" wrote in message
    > > In article <651fc.131852$w54.874153@attbi_s01>,
    > > Dave wrote:
    > > >
    > > > OK...I admit I'm a bit of a newbie:
    > > >
    > > > When I run inst or software manager, I get the following error:
    > > >
    > > > ERROR: Syntax error in mach expression TARGOS >= 1274627340
    > > >
    > > > Any idea what might be wrong?
    > > >

    > > Perhaps an old version of inst with a newer distribution? What's
    > > the OS version (uname -aR) and what are you trying to install?

    Joseph Michaud - SGI Apps Eng 978-562-8894 x483-8894 jmichaud@sgi.com

  5. Re: TARGOS Expression problem?

    Have you tried doing an installation from the miniroot? If it is an
    inst version problem, then firing up the miniroot will make sure that
    you've got an inst version compatible with the images you're trying to
    install.

    --Chris

    Joseph Michaud wrote:

    > Well, inst file formats *have* changed over the years which is why
    > I asked about versions. Do you see this sort of problem when you
    > run inst on some 6.2 distributions (like on the distribuition of
    > the OS that is on the machine)?
    >
    > One more thing . . . look at the top level of the distribution
    > you're trying to install. Inst is supposed to have some magic in
    > it looking for a redirect file to choose which sub-directory to
    > pick depending on the OS that you're currently running. Try
    > installing that particular subdirectory directly.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > In article ,
    > Dave wrote:
    > >
    > > It doesn't matter what I'm trying to install. It does the same with any
    > > installation. As far as version, Irix 6.2 on an Indy R5000.
    > >
    > > "Joseph Michaud" wrote in message

    > > > Perhaps an old version of inst with a newer distribution? What's
    > > > the OS version (uname -aR) and what are you trying to install?
    > > >

    > --
    > Joseph Michaud - SGI Apps Eng 978-562-8894 x483-8894 jmichaud@sgi.com

+ Reply to Thread