Strange O2 behaviour - SGI

This is a discussion on Strange O2 behaviour - SGI ; My O2 (R5000/180) does no longer have a usable desktop for any user that logs in. While anything is ok for root, normal users get an empty screen with just a console window, but even this console window doesn't have ...

  1. Strange O2 behaviour

    My O2 (R5000/180) does no longer have a usable desktop for any user that logs
    in. While anything is ok for root, normal users get an empty screen with just
    a console window, but even this console window doesn't have a frame (it's just
    a black or blue area on the screen). Exiting the terminal windows leaves a
    blank screen.

    Since all this works as root, and since the behaviour is identical for all
    users, I think it must be some sort of permission problem. Has anybody
    experienced this before and can give me a hint?

    Operating system is Irix 6.5.11.

    Regards

    Uz

    --
    Ullrich von Bassewitz uz@spamtrap.musoftware.de
    12:47:19 up 48 days, 13:17, 10 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

  2. Re: Strange O2 behaviour

    In article ,
    uz@spamtrap.musoftware.de (Ullrich von Bassewitz) wrote:

    :
    : My O2 (R5000/180) does no longer have a usable desktop for any user that logs
    : in. While anything is ok for root, normal users get an empty screen with just
    : a console window, but even this console window doesn't have a frame (it's just
    : a black or blue area on the screen). Exiting the terminal windows leaves a
    : blank screen.
    :
    : Since all this works as root, and since the behaviour is identical for all
    : users, I think it must be some sort of permission problem. Has anybody
    : experienced this before and can give me a hint?
    :
    : Operating system is Irix 6.5.11.
    :
    : Regards
    :
    :
    : Uz

    Sounds like the window manager, 4Dwm, is not running. Why? Who knows.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: Strange O2 behaviour

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:

    > In article ,
    > uz@spamtrap.musoftware.de (Ullrich von Bassewitz) wrote:
    >
    > :
    > : My O2 (R5000/180) does no longer have a usable desktop for any user that logs
    > : in. While anything is ok for root, normal users get an empty screen with just
    > : a console window, but even this console window doesn't have a frame (it's just
    > : a black or blue area on the screen). Exiting the terminal windows leaves a
    > : blank screen.
    > :
    > : Since all this works as root, and since the behaviour is identical for all
    > : users, I think it must be some sort of permission problem. Has anybody
    > : experienced this before and can give me a hint?
    > :
    > : Operating system is Irix 6.5.11.
    > :
    > : Regards
    > :
    > :
    > : Uz
    >
    > Sounds like the window manager, 4Dwm, is not running. Why? Who knows.

    hmm..
    If you do a "chkconfig" in a shell, what's the output? Sounds to me that Desktop
    is set to off, but its strange that root still has a desktop..

  4. Re: Strange O2 behaviour

    Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:

    > My O2 (R5000/180) does no longer have a usable desktop for any user that logs
    > in. While anything is ok for root, normal users get an empty screen with just
    > a console window, but even this console window doesn't have a frame (it's just
    > a black or blue area on the screen). Exiting the terminal windows leaves a
    > blank screen.
    >
    > Since all this works as root, and since the behaviour is identical for all
    > users, I think it must be some sort of permission problem. Has anybody
    > experienced this before and can give me a hint?
    >
    > Operating system is Irix 6.5.11.

    There was at least one version of IRIX that would show such problems
    when the desktop was a symbolic link to a non-existent directory. If
    your Desktop directory is a symbolic link, just remove it and log in
    again. It then will ask if you want a new Desktop,.

    Erik

  5. Re: Strange O2 behaviour

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    > Sounds like the window manager, 4Dwm, is not running.

    Yep, that's it. The system log says:

    22:53:24 toaster Xsession: uz: login
    22:53:35 toaster Xsession: uz: wait4wm: window manager failed to start
    22:53:35 toaster Xsession: uz: UX:sh (Xsession.dt): ERROR: /dev/console: cannot create

    These messages are logged as "informational" (shouldn't it be at least a
    warning?). The last message is probably caused by the second one.

    > Why? Who knows.

    Yes, that's the question. I don't know and the log doesn't tell.

    Unfortunately I cannot remember what I did to bring the system into this
    state. I've dumped the system disk to a larger one, replaced the old disk by
    the new one, and noticed this behaviour when I started the system. I put
    anything on hold for 6 or 8 weeks then, because I thought there was an error
    with the duplication procedure, and I didn't find the time to resolve it. But
    now, after putting back the old disk, I've noticed that the system on the old
    disk shows the same behaviour.

    Regards

    Uz

    --
    Ullrich von Bassewitz uz@spamtrap.musoftware.de
    23:06:11 up 48 days, 23:36, 10 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.02

  6. Re: Strange O2 behaviour

    mike wrote:
    > If you do a "chkconfig" in a shell, what's the output? Sounds to me that Desktop
    > is set to off, but its strange that root still has a desktop..

    Flag State
    ==== =====

    autoconfig_ipaddress on
    desktop on
    esp on
    fcagent off
    fontserver off
    gated off
    ipaliases on
    lp on
    mcserv off
    mediad on
    mrouted off
    named off
    nas_server off
    nds off
    network on
    noiconlogin off
    nostickytmp off
    nsd on
    privileges off
    proclaim_relayagent off
    proclaim_server off
    proxymngr off
    quickpage off
    rarpd off
    routed off
    rsvpd off
    rtmond on
    rwhod off
    sar off
    savecore on
    sendmail off
    sendmail_cf off
    sesdaemon on
    snetd off
    soundscheme on
    sshd on
    sysevent on
    timed off
    timeslave off
    ts on
    verbose on
    visuallogin on
    vswap off
    windowsystem on
    xdm on

    Regards

    Uz

    --
    Ullrich von Bassewitz uz@spamtrap.musoftware.de
    23:22:11 up 48 days, 23:52, 10 users, load average: 0.18, 0.15, 0.05

  7. Re: Strange O2 behaviour

    Erik Hofman wrote:

    > Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:
    > >
    > > My O2 (R5000/180) does no longer have a usable desktop for any user that logs
    > > in. While anything is ok for root, normal users get an empty screen with just
    > > a console window, but even this console window doesn't have a frame (it's just
    > > a black or blue area on the screen). Exiting the terminal windows leaves a
    > > blank screen.
    > >
    > > Since all this works as root, and since the behaviour is identical for all
    > > users, I think it must be some sort of permission problem. Has anybody
    > > experienced this before and can give me a hint?
    > >
    > > Operating system is Irix 6.5.11.

    > There was at least one version of IRIX that would show such problems
    > when the desktop was a symbolic link to a non-existent directory. If
    > your Desktop directory is a symbolic link, just remove it and log in
    > again. It then will ask if you want a new Desktop.

    Yes, maybe that is the problem. Find the files in the home directories that look
    like this:

    9 Jan 25 2003 .desktop-inhouse1
    9 Jan 25 2003 .desktop-IRIS
    4096 Mar 7 16:46 .desktop-octane
    4096 Jan 25 2003 .desktop-octane-junk

    find the one your currently using and delete it or rename it. When you log in
    again it should ask you about a new Desktop.

+ Reply to Thread