Power down SCSI disks - SGI

This is a discussion on Power down SCSI disks - SGI ; Is there a way to power down one or more SCSI disks? A couple of the disks on my Challenge L are only used once a week or so. Summer is coming, heat will be a problem, and I'd just ...

  1. Power down SCSI disks

    Is there a way to power down one or more SCSI disks?

    A couple of the disks on my Challenge L are only used once a week or
    so. Summer is coming, heat will be a problem, and I'd just as soon
    have those disks "off" during the long periods of time they aren't
    used.

    Thanks.

    -Shel

  2. Re: Power down SCSI disks

    In article ,
    Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
    :Is there a way to power down one or more SCSI disks?

    :A couple of the disks on my Challenge L are only used once a week or
    :so. Summer is coming, heat will be a problem, and I'd just as soon
    :have those disks "off" during the long periods of time they aren't
    :used.

    Only on a few models.

    Somewhere in the root crontab, there's an anti-stiction program
    that powers down some models of disks for a moment. That time could
    be extended, in theory -- but there is no hook to spin the disk back
    up at need.
    --
    Oh, to be a Blobel!

  3. Re: Power down SCSI disks

    In article ,
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

    : In article ,
    :
    : :A couple of the disks on my Challenge L are only used once a week or
    : :so. Summer is coming, heat will be a problem, and I'd just as soon
    : :have those disks "off" during the long periods of time they aren't
    : :used.
    :
    : Only on a few models.
    :
    : Somewhere in the root crontab, there's an anti-stiction program
    : that powers down some models of disks for a moment. That time could
    : be extended, in theory -- but there is no hook to spin the disk back
    : up at need.

    Tsk Walter, 'scsicontrol -H $DEVICE' is the answer. Usually the drives should
    re-start when they're needed again (it's either started again by the kernel or
    the drive does so automatically, I don't know which) but if they don't
    'scsicontrol -S $DEVICE' will restart them.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  4. Re: Power down SCSI disks

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 03:54:01 GMT, Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    >
    >: In article ,
    >: Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
    >: :Is there a way to power down one or more SCSI disks?
    >:
    >: :A couple of the disks on my Challenge L are only used once a week or
    >: :so. Summer is coming, heat will be a problem, and I'd just as soon
    >: :have those disks "off" during the long periods of time they aren't
    >: :used.
    >:
    >: Only on a few models.
    >:
    >: Somewhere in the root crontab, there's an anti-stiction program
    >: that powers down some models of disks for a moment. That time could
    >: be extended, in theory -- but there is no hook to spin the disk back
    >: up at need.
    >
    >Tsk Walter, 'scsicontrol -H $DEVICE' is the answer. Usually the drives should
    >re-start when they're needed again (it's either started again by the kernel or
    >the drive does so automatically, I don't know which) but if they don't
    >'scsicontrol -S $DEVICE' will restart them.

    I'll try it ... Thanks.

    -Shel

  5. Re: Power down SCSI disks

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 03:54:01 GMT, Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler
    wrote:

    [snip], 'scsicontrol -H $DEVICE' is the answer. Usually the drives
    > should re-start when they're needed again (it's either started
    > again by the kernel or the drive does so automatically, I don't
    > know which) but if they don't 'scsicontrol -S $DEVICE' will
    > restart them.

    `scsicontrol -H /dev/scsi/sc0d3l0` seems to work fine - the drive
    lights go out. The next time you try to use it, there's a delay while
    it powers itself up without needing scsicontrol again.

    Given the rather substantial power use of a Challenge L, I know
    powering down a couple of disks won't make much difference in the heat
    output. It's something, though.

    Now if I could just do something about the noise output.

    -Shel

+ Reply to Thread