ctrl-C not working... - SGI

This is a discussion on ctrl-C not working... - SGI ; Hey group, This is a weird one. I've got several SGI's that I administer, and on some in my account I'm able to ctrl-c out of a command (like if I'm ping'ing a system). But then on others the same ...

  1. ctrl-C not working...

    Hey group,

    This is a weird one. I've got several SGI's that I administer, and on some in my account
    I'm able to ctrl-c out of a command (like if I'm ping'ing a system). But then on others
    the same ctrl-c just doesn't work. The only way I can get out is to background the
    command and then kill the process.

    I figure it's got to be something my environment... but nothing jumps out in my .cshrc
    file (both logins are tcsh).

    Any thoughts? Thanks!

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator

  2. Re: ctrl-C not working...

    Just a guess, here, but try "stty -a", and see what
    the "intr" entry says. I imagine it is set to something
    other than Control-C. Then check the manual page
    for "stty"; it ought to tell you how to set it to what you
    want.

  3. Re: ctrl-C not working...

    Christopher R. Jones wrote:

    > Hey group,
    >
    > This is a weird one. I've got several SGI's that I administer, and on some in my account
    > I'm able to ctrl-c out of a command (like if I'm ping'ing a system). But then on others
    > the same ctrl-c just doesn't work. The only way I can get out is to background the
    > command and then kill the process.
    >
    > I figure it's got to be something my environment... but nothing jumps out in my .cshrc
    > file (both logins are tcsh).
    >
    > Any thoughts? Thanks!

    what does stty tell you...

    specifically look for the intr entry.

    With Open Source there are just as many wrong answers
    as there are right answers. The best answer is none
    at all.

  4. Re: ctrl-C not working...

    Dennis Glover wrote:
    > Just a guess, here, but try "stty -a", and see what
    > the "intr" entry says. I imagine it is set to something
    > other than Control-C. Then check the manual page
    > for "stty"; it ought to tell you how to set it to what you
    > want.

    stty intr '^C'

    should do it in csh/tcsh per the original poster

    cheers.

    With Open Source there are just as many wrong answers
    as there are right answers. The best answer is none
    at all.

  5. Re: ctrl-C not working...

    Dennis Glover wrote:

    > Just a guess, here, but try "stty -a", and see what
    > the "intr" entry says. I imagine it is set to something
    > other than Control-C. Then check the manual page
    > for "stty"; it ought to tell you how to set it to what you
    > want.

    That's exactly it Dennis... and thanks. It's set to 'DEL' instead of '^C' like it is on
    the systems that work. I read all through the stty man page, and I know how to set it
    interactively... and I suppose I could put that in a .cshrc file.

    But there's still got to be something on that system in question that's *caused* intr to
    be set to DEL. I'd rather not fix it on the fly... I want to know where it is set so I
    can fix it more permanently (and not just customize more my .cshrc file).

    Any more thoughts group?

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator
    ---------------------------------

  6. Re: ctrl-C not working...

    "Christopher R. Jones" wrote:

    > Dennis Glover wrote:
    > >
    > > Just a guess, here, but try "stty -a", and see what
    > > the "intr" entry says. I imagine it is set to something
    > > other than Control-C. Then check the manual page
    > > for "stty"; it ought to tell you how to set it to what you
    > > want.

    > That's exactly it Dennis... and thanks. It's set to 'DEL' instead of '^C' like it is on
    > the systems that work. I read all through the stty man page, and I know how to set it
    > interactively... and I suppose I could put that in a .cshrc file.
    >
    > But there's still got to be something on that system in question that's *caused* intr to
    > be set to DEL. I'd rather not fix it on the fly... I want to know where it is set so I
    > can fix it more permanently (and not just customize more my .cshrc file).
    >
    > Any more thoughts group?

    I'm a dork... I see now that this change *is* in the .login file for the systems it does
    work on:

    if (-t 0) then
    stty intr '^C' echoe
    endif

    It just so happens that I don't have a .login file on this system where I was finding this
    problem... and I dind't notice. Not sure how it went away ... but it's back now and
    working fine.

    Thanks to all that helped!

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator
    ---------------------------------

  7. Re: ctrl-C not working...

    In article <40740548.9077F4FF@larc.nasa.gov>,
    Christopher R. Jones wrote:

    >Hey group,

    >This is a weird one. I've got several SGI's that I administer, and on some in my account
    >I'm able to ctrl-c out of a command (like if I'm ping'ing a system). But then on others
    >the same ctrl-c just doesn't work. The only way I can get out is to background the
    >command and then kill the process. ....

    What does "stty" say on each?

    --
    Daniel Packman