SGI 320 w2k partitioning problem - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI 320 w2k partitioning problem - SGI ; Hi there, I got SGI 320 from ebay recently, (PIII 550, 512MB, 9GB SCSI). Machine was with wiped hard drive so no OS on it, also I didn't got any media (like recovery discs, OS etc) with system. My intention ...

  1. SGI 320 w2k partitioning problem

    Hi there,

    I got SGI 320 from ebay recently, (PIII 550, 512MB, 9GB SCSI). Machine
    was with wiped hard drive so no OS on it, also I didn't got any media
    (like recovery discs, OS etc) with system.

    My intention was/is to install w2k on it. So I first did prom update
    to 1.1005 (from 1.0006), later I did also flash of Qlogic 1080 scsi
    controller bios to latest version. Beside this I changed system
    disk from original Quantum Wiking 9GB (7,2k RPM) to faster IBM
    9GB (10k RPM) 68 pin scsi drive.

    Hardware wise everything seems to be OK, flashed proms are recognized
    in system prom, hinv shows IBM and Quantum drives etc...

    Problem is with win 2k setup during formatting of partitions or later
    when win2k setup checking partition system just hangs forever in one
    of modes, I tryed several tricks but outcome is always the same.

    *Regular* strategy:

    I'll describe it in detail; booting up the sys-> deleting everything
    from Startup Settings-> creating 200MB partition using system prom
    utility-> starting installation of w2k from CDROM-> system copies
    files to 200MB partition (recognizing obiously specific 320 items
    as Cobalt, Qlogic 1080 controller etc), after that setup shows MS
    license agremeent, then option to chose w2000 installation disk is
    presented, -> choosing C: (cca 8,5GB free), -> partition needs
    filesystem as is labeled as "unformatted or damaged", and now
    starts *partitioning diseaster*;

    First case:

    -> choosing NTFS, setup is procceding to partition formatting
    C: drive is labeled as "unformatted or damaged" partitioning
    progress bar reaches 100% and system stays there forever
    (no any mesages)

    Second case:

    -> choosing FAT, setup proceeds to FAT32 creation since partition
    is bigger than 2GB, C: drive is labeled as "unformatted or damaged",
    partitioning raches 100%, then setup proceeds on checking of partition
    C: (check then makes rapid jump to 50%, then instead of "checking C:"
    status at the bootom of setup window shows "checking D:" at this point
    setup again stalles forever... (again no any notice whats goin on)

    Tryed this also with an IDE drive what was lying around with same results,
    so Im confident that is not scsi (drive/controller) issue.

    *Way around* strategy:

    Attempt to create partitions under w2k using Disk Manager on another
    PC (generic box not 320)... this is done by putting Qlogic 1080 scsi
    controller from 320 in w2k PC... Partitions are being created and
    formatted, 200MB FAT and rest either NTFS or FAT32, everything is fine,
    so Im moving drive and scsi controller back to 320, booting, deleting
    all Startup Settings entries, checking in Hardware Inventory, drive is
    recognized with two partitions, procceding to w2k installation...
    setup again copies files to 200MB partition, passes MS licence agrement,
    asks to choose w2000 installing partition, this time partitions are
    labeled correctly 200MB FAT and rest either as NTFS or FAT32, choosing C:
    (it's about time to enter new chapter of *partitioning diseaster*

    First case:

    ->choose NTFS -> (when partition is NTFS formatted) in addition to
    format NTFS or FAT there is option *leave as it is (unchanged)*,
    so goin for that since NTFS is on partition and this time is not
    "unformatted or damaged" but recognized as NTFS, so setup proceeds
    on partition C: checking and stays at 0% of progress bar forever

    Second case:

    ->choose FAT -> (when partition is NTFS32 formatted) in addition to
    format NTFS or FAT32 there is option *leave as it is (unchanged)*,
    and convert FAT32 to NTFS, -> choosing *leave as it is (unchanged)*,
    ince FAT32 is on partition and this time is not "unformatted or damaged"
    but recognized as FAT32, so setup proceeds on partition C: checking,
    jumps rapidly to 50% of progress bar and stayes there forever

    So seems that leaving created partitions unchanged leads to nowhere...

    Third case,

    ->choose FAT -> (when partition is NTFS32 formatted) in addition to
    format NTFS or FAT32, there is option *leave as it is (unchanged)*
    and *convert FAT32 to NTFS*, -> choosing *convert FAT32 to NTFS*,
    setup recognizes partition as FAT32 and starts formatting to NTFS,
    when progress bar reaches 100% stays there forever.

    Fourth and fifth case are producing same outcome as case one and two
    of *regular strategy*...

    *Magic* strategy:

    Partition Magic 8, partitions created by SGI 320 prom and/or win2k
    setup are entirely marked as BAD it's even not possible to format
    partition it with Partition Magic... Hovever if Im formatting disk
    using low level on Qlogic Fast bios it's pocssible to play later in
    Partition Magic but once when Im putting drive and controller back
    to 320 again same "unformatted or damaged" **** happends.

    Anybody have idea what is wrong here.

    PS. Why 320 PROM is not like good 'ol ARCS PROM on IRIX machines?

  2. Re: SGI 320 w2k partitioning problem

    I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, you take a look at
    Milton's very detailed site:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~sgi320/Tu...nstall/W2K.htm

  3. Re: SGI 320 w2k partitioning problem

    Seems that problem with timeouts was caused by (faulty?) RAM,
    without upper bank's 256MB installation went smooth, so I put
    problematic 256MB back later on, however sys passes all PROM
    tests. Weird, but that's 320.

    UNIX Museum wrote in message news:...
    > I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, you take a look at
    > Milton's very detailed site:
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~sgi320/Tu...nstall/W2K.htm

+ Reply to Thread