ssplay... anybody ever used it? - SGI

This is a discussion on ssplay... anybody ever used it? - SGI ; Hey group.... I just stumbled across this program, that's in the dmedia_eoe product. It's supposed to play sound files, but I'm having a hard time finding any describing how it works, what kind of input files it requires, etc. All ...

  1. ssplay... anybody ever used it?

    Hey group....

    I just stumbled across this program, that's in the dmedia_eoe product. It's supposed to
    play sound files, but I'm having a hard time finding any describing how it works, what
    kind of input files it requires, etc.

    All I have on my system (6.5.21m) is the /usr/sbin/ssplay binary that comes from
    dmedia_eoe.sw.base... no other man pages or nothing. I then checked a system I have
    access to on the feature stream, and the same result was found.

    So I'd like to know more about this to see if it can be useful (and I came across it from
    reading up on the espnotify man page). I did search the archives of the group at
    google.com and all I found was one hit that just by coincidence happened to mention the
    word 'ssplay'.

    Is there anybody out there that could enlighten me a little? I'm going to read up on the
    espnotify command... but if it's man page says it uses 'ssplay' to kick off sound files,
    shouldn't I be able to call 'ssplay' interactively to do the same thing?

    Thanks,

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator

  2. Re: ssplay... anybody ever used it?

    In article <4071A690.E6559E34@larc.nasa.gov>,
    Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    :I just stumbled across this program, that's in the dmedia_eoe product. It's supposed to
    lay sound files, but I'm having a hard time finding any describing how it works, what
    :kind of input files it requires, etc.

    It doesn't play the sounds themselves: it connects to the
    soundscheme daemon and requests that the sound be played.
    The formats supported are whatever is supported by the audio library.

    Unless you happen to be interested in inserting little noises on the
    desktop from time to time (e.g., notification that email has arrived),
    then you are likely more interested in sfplay or soundplayer
    (and from there you might want to branch over into dmplay )
    --
    Disobey all self-referential sentences!

  3. Re: ssplay... anybody ever used it?

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > In article <4071A690.E6559E34@larc.nasa.gov>,
    > Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    > :I just stumbled across this program, that's in the dmedia_eoe product. It's supposed to
    > lay sound files, but I'm having a hard time finding any describing how it works, what
    > :kind of input files it requires, etc.
    >
    > It doesn't play the sounds themselves: it connects to the
    > soundscheme daemon and requests that the sound be played.
    > The formats supported are whatever is supported by the audio library.
    >
    > Unless you happen to be interested in inserting little noises on the
    > desktop from time to time (e.g., notification that email has arrived),
    > then you are likely more interested in sfplay or soundplayer
    > (and from there you might want to branch over into dmplay )
    > --
    > Disobey all self-referential sentences!

    Thanks Walter... I forgot all about 'soundlayer'. It's amazingly easy to just run that
    (with the '-nodisplay' option so it will just play and that's it) with any .aiff or .aifc
    file. Then the program 'sfconvert' very nicely will take as input a .wav file and turn it
    into a .aiff file. So now I can run soundplayer and play pretty much any file I want.

    Now I'm trying to figure out if I can use the espnotify command (or the esp world in
    general) to monitor events and then kick off a specific command (which would then be
    soundplayer w/whatever soundfile I've decided to use).

    Anybody made use of the espnotify software at all?

    -chris