MTU on SGI (again.....) - SGI

This is a discussion on MTU on SGI (again.....) - SGI ; I realise that these issues seem to have been done to death here, but I think I have a new version! I'm trying to get an Indigo2, IRIX 6.5 to function properly on an ADSL link which seems to require ...

  1. MTU on SGI (again.....)

    I realise that these issues seem to have been done to death here, but
    I think I have a new version!

    I'm trying to get an Indigo2, IRIX 6.5 to function properly on an ADSL
    link which seems to require MTU of 1300, in the context of a small
    office network.

    Have done much work to establish gateway settings, DNS settings etc on
    the fast ethernet card, set as primary interface, all of which give
    good performance on Telnet, FTP etc across the internet and local
    network. I then made what I think are appropriate changes to
    /var/sysgen/master.d/bsd to force a max of 1300, in order to get
    decent HTTP transations.

    What this seems to have done is force the on-board 10-baseT network to
    1300, while leaving the card at 1500! Thus netstat -in shows:

    fe0 1500 192.168.0.18
    ec0* 1300 none

    Does anyone have any ideas on this one, on how to force both
    interfaces to 1300? Or perhaps I am fated to revert to the 10meg
    card, which would be pretty unhelpful to me.

    Many thanks!

  2. Re: MTU on SGI (again.....)

    Nick Daisley wrote:

    > What this seems to have done is force the on-board 10-baseT network to
    > 1300, while leaving the card at 1500! Thus netstat -in shows:
    >
    > fe0 1500 192.168.0.18
    > ec0* 1300 none

    On recent flavours of 6.5, you can specify the MTU on the ifconfig line
    (and thus in /etc/config/netif-.options).

    As you haven't said what overlay you were running, nor what fast ethernet
    card you're using (I don't know how to control the MTU of the Phobos
    cards if the ifconfig option doesn't work), though, ...

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  3. Re: MTU on SGI (again.....)

    In article , ndaisley@aol.com (Nick Daisley) writes:

    |> Have done much work to establish gateway settings, DNS settings etc on
    |> the fast ethernet card, set as primary interface, all of which give
    |> good performance on Telnet, FTP etc across the internet and local
    |> network. I then made what I think are appropriate changes to
    |> /var/sysgen/master.d/bsd to force a max of 1300, in order to get
    |> decent HTTP transations.

    Why not just use ifconfig to set the MTU and leave the poor kernel
    alone?

    Then you can change it on-the-fly and check that it works.

    And you can add the "correct" parameters you end up with to a relevant

    /etc/config/ifconfig-.options

    file so it is set-up at each boot time.

    --
    --------- Gordon Lack --------------- gml4410@ggr.co.uk ------------
    This message *may* reflect my personal opinion. It is *not* intended

+ Reply to Thread