NIS problem on Octane after IP address change - SGI

This is a discussion on NIS problem on Octane after IP address change - SGI ; Hello all, I am a newbie on SGI. My Octane with IRIX 6.5 has been runing fine for last couple of years until its IP address was changed a few days ago. And now the system could not bind to ...

  1. NIS problem on Octane after IP address change

    Hello all,

    I am a newbie on SGI.

    My Octane with IRIX 6.5 has been runing fine for last couple of years
    until its IP address was changed a few days ago. And now the system
    could not bind to any NIS servers any longer. My Octane can see all NIS
    servers with its new IP address.

    Your help is appreciated.

    Tuan Dang

  2. Re: NIS problem on Octane after IP address change

    perlnovice wrote:
    > My Octane with IRIX 6.5 has been runing fine for last couple of years
    > until its IP address was changed a few days ago. And now the system
    > could not bind to any NIS servers any longer. My Octane can see all NIS
    > servers with its new IP address.

    Have you checked that the servers will allow the new IP address? Most
    sane servers have host access controls.... For starters, try

    rpcinfo -p nisserver

    Damian Menscher
    --
    -=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
    -=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc217)333-0038 |#=-

  3. Re: NIS problem on Octane after IP address change

    perlnovice wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am a newbie on SGI.
    >
    > My Octane with IRIX 6.5 has been runing fine for last couple of years
    > until its IP address was changed a few days ago. And now the system
    > could not bind to any NIS servers any longer. My Octane can see all NIS
    > servers with its new IP address.

    But broadcasts only reach NIS servers on the same subnet as this
    machine - my guess is that you don't have any NIS slave server on
    the new subnet.

    You can specify the server explicitly in
    /var/yp/binding//ypservers.

    Before that, you can try to do ypset to set it manually.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!