Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible? - SGI

This is a discussion on Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible? - SGI ; Hi, I just wondered if it is possible to clone a system (IRIX6.5.22m) from an Indy to an Indigo2. When cloning disk from Indy to Indy I know I have to reinstall graphics subsystems if the graphics is different. I ...

  1. Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible?

    Hi,

    I just wondered if it is possible to clone a system
    (IRIX6.5.22m) from an Indy to an Indigo2.

    When cloning disk from Indy to Indy I know
    I have to reinstall graphics subsystems if the
    graphics is different. I haven't tried to clone from
    R4K to R5K but I assume there are some other
    subsystems that needs to be reinstalled to.

    Providing the Indigo2 is R4K family will it be
    sufficient to reinstall graphics sybsystem,
    or are there so many different systems that
    it is better to do a fresh install on the I2 and
    then copy the common files?

    /Bjorn

  2. Re: Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible?

    nope I don't think so. System board is different.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just wondered if it is possible to clone a system
    > (IRIX6.5.22m) from an Indy to an Indigo2.
    >
    > When cloning disk from Indy to Indy I know
    > I have to reinstall graphics subsystems if the
    > graphics is different. I haven't tried to clone from
    > R4K to R5K but I assume there are some other
    > subsystems that needs to be reinstalled to.
    >
    > Providing the Indigo2 is R4K family will it be
    > sufficient to reinstall graphics sybsystem,
    > or are there so many different systems that
    > it is better to do a fresh install on the I2 and
    > then copy the common files?
    >
    > /Bjorn

  3. Re: Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible?

    Hmm that's what I suspected.

    Next problem. I thought I knew which subsystems I need
    to replace from Indy NG1 graphics to XZ, but I didn't.
    Do you have any hints? Can I do this from swmgr?

    /Bjorn

    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    >nope I don't think so. System board is different.
    >
    >*********************
    >Khalid Schofield
    >System Administrator / EM Technician
    >Dept. Of Materials
    >University Of Oxford
    >Parks Road
    >Oxford
    >OX1 3PH
    >
    >Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    >Tel: 01865 273785
    >Fax: 01865 283333
    >Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >

    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just wondered if it is possible to clone a system
    >> (IRIX6.5.22m) from an Indy to an Indigo2.
    >>
    >> When cloning disk from Indy to Indy I know
    >> I have to reinstall graphics subsystems if the
    >> graphics is different. I haven't tried to clone from
    >> R4K to R5K but I assume there are some other
    >> subsystems that needs to be reinstalled to.
    >>
    >> Providing the Indigo2 is R4K family will it be
    >> sufficient to reinstall graphics sybsystem,
    >> or are there so many different systems that
    >> it is better to do a fresh install on the I2 and
    >> then copy the common files?

  4. Re: Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible?

    I didn't know that you did have to change sub systems. I thought that all
    you do is to chuck in the graphics board and your done :-) May be I'm
    wrong but it works with Octanes, Onyx systems and Indigo's.

    If I were you I'd just install irix 6.5 on the Indigo2 using the

    inst> install default
    inst> conflicts
    inst> go

    commands then patch to 6.5.23 and off you go. It's 2 hour job max :-) most
    of that is automated too. Then run

    swmgr -f http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/

    Install the freeware that you want then use your system.

    You may wish it nail some of the dodgee services in /etc/inetd.conf and
    using chkconfig.

    It's probably easier than trying to clone your box.

    Most of the process involves sleeping :-)

    *********************

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    > Hmm that's what I suspected.
    >
    > Next problem. I thought I knew which subsystems I need
    > to replace from Indy NG1 graphics to XZ, but I didn't.
    > Do you have any hints? Can I do this from swmgr?
    >
    > /Bjorn
    >
    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    >
    > >nope I don't think so. System board is different.
    > >
    > >*********************
    > >Khalid Schofield
    > >System Administrator / EM Technician
    > >Dept. Of Materials
    > >University Of Oxford
    > >Parks Road
    > >Oxford
    > >OX1 3PH
    > >
    > >Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > >Tel: 01865 273785
    > >Fax: 01865 283333
    > >Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    > >

    > >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I just wondered if it is possible to clone a system
    > >> (IRIX6.5.22m) from an Indy to an Indigo2.
    > >>
    > >> When cloning disk from Indy to Indy I know
    > >> I have to reinstall graphics subsystems if the
    > >> graphics is different. I haven't tried to clone from
    > >> R4K to R5K but I assume there are some other
    > >> subsystems that needs to be reinstalled to.
    > >>
    > >> Providing the Indigo2 is R4K family will it be
    > >> sufficient to reinstall graphics sybsystem,
    > >> or are there so many different systems that
    > >> it is better to do a fresh install on the I2 and
    > >> then copy the common files?

  5. Re: Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible?

    Thank you for insights.

    Since I got tired of swapping CD's I have learned how to install
    over the network instead, thanks to Ian's homepage.
    That is neat.

    I think you have to reinstall some subsystems when you change
    from NG1 to XZ.
    I also think you have to do that on Indigo if you go from LG1 to
    Express gfx. You don't have to do anyhing if you're going from,
    for example XS to Elan though.
    As long as you're staying in the same 'gfx-family' all is fine and
    I guess you don't have nonaccellerated options on Octanes
    ans Onyxes (Onyx in plural ???)
    I think the same problem would arise when upgrading an
    Indigo2 XL.

    Have you tried 6.5.23 on an 'unsupported' machine? Worked
    like a charm, or ...?

    Sleeping...that I'm good at :-)

    /Bjorn

    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    >I didn't know that you did have to change sub systems. I thought that all
    >you do is to chuck in the graphics board and your done :-) May be I'm
    >wrong but it works with Octanes, Onyx systems and Indigo's.
    >
    >If I were you I'd just install irix 6.5 on the Indigo2 using the
    >
    >inst> install default
    >inst> conflicts
    >inst> go
    >
    >commands then patch to 6.5.23 and off you go. It's 2 hour job max :-) most
    >of that is automated too. Then run
    >
    >swmgr -f http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/
    >
    >Install the freeware that you want then use your system.
    >
    >You may wish it nail some of the dodgee services in /etc/inetd.conf and
    >using chkconfig.
    >
    >It's probably easier than trying to clone your box.
    >
    >Most of the process involves sleeping :-)
    >
    >*********************
    >Khalid Schofield
    >System Administrator / EM Technician
    >Dept. Of Materials
    >University Of Oxford
    >Parks Road
    >Oxford
    >OX1 3PH
    >
    >Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    >Tel: 01865 273785
    >Fax: 01865 283333
    >Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >

    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm that's what I suspected.
    >>
    >> Next problem. I thought I knew which subsystems I need
    >> to replace from Indy NG1 graphics to XZ, but I didn't.
    >> Do you have any hints? Can I do this from swmgr?
    >>
    >> /Bjorn
    >>
    >> Khalid Schofield wrote:
    >>
    >> >nope I don't think so. System board is different.
    >> >
    >> >*********************
    >> >Khalid Schofield
    >> >System Administrator / EM Technician
    >> >Dept. Of Materials
    >> >University Of Oxford
    >> >Parks Road
    >> >Oxford
    >> >OX1 3PH
    >> >
    >> >Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    >> >Tel: 01865 273785
    >> >Fax: 01865 283333
    >> >Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html

  6. Re: Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible?

    I have to re-install irix on my Octane. The systems a bit of a mess (I've
    been using it as a unix development box, replacing lib's and irix
    components for about 18 months now. Inst crashes and won't install the
    kernel :-(

    I have irix 6.5.23 in a tar file. Do you know how I can install from this?
    I didn't seem to be able to mount another filesystem under the inst mount
    command.

    *********************

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    > Thank you for insights.
    >
    > Since I got tired of swapping CD's I have learned how to install
    > over the network instead, thanks to Ian's homepage.
    > That is neat.
    >
    > I think you have to reinstall some subsystems when you change
    > from NG1 to XZ.
    > I also think you have to do that on Indigo if you go from LG1 to
    > Express gfx. You don't have to do anyhing if you're going from,
    > for example XS to Elan though.
    > As long as you're staying in the same 'gfx-family' all is fine and
    > I guess you don't have nonaccellerated options on Octanes
    > ans Onyxes (Onyx in plural ???)
    > I think the same problem would arise when upgrading an
    > Indigo2 XL.
    >
    > Have you tried 6.5.23 on an 'unsupported' machine? Worked
    > like a charm, or ...?
    >
    > Sleeping...that I'm good at :-)
    >
    > /Bjorn
    >
    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    >
    > >I didn't know that you did have to change sub systems. I thought that all
    > >you do is to chuck in the graphics board and your done :-) May be I'm
    > >wrong but it works with Octanes, Onyx systems and Indigo's.
    > >
    > >If I were you I'd just install irix 6.5 on the Indigo2 using the
    > >
    > >inst> install default
    > >inst> conflicts
    > >inst> go
    > >
    > >commands then patch to 6.5.23 and off you go. It's 2 hour job max :-) most
    > >of that is automated too. Then run
    > >
    > >swmgr -f http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/
    > >
    > >Install the freeware that you want then use your system.
    > >
    > >You may wish it nail some of the dodgee services in /etc/inetd.conf and
    > >using chkconfig.
    > >
    > >It's probably easier than trying to clone your box.
    > >
    > >Most of the process involves sleeping :-)
    > >
    > >*********************
    > >Khalid Schofield
    > >System Administrator / EM Technician
    > >Dept. Of Materials
    > >University Of Oxford
    > >Parks Road
    > >Oxford
    > >OX1 3PH
    > >
    > >Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > >Tel: 01865 273785
    > >Fax: 01865 283333
    > >Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    > >

    > >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hmm that's what I suspected.
    > >>
    > >> Next problem. I thought I knew which subsystems I need
    > >> to replace from Indy NG1 graphics to XZ, but I didn't.
    > >> Do you have any hints? Can I do this from swmgr?
    > >>
    > >> /Bjorn

  7. Re: Is cloning of system diskfrom Indy to Indigo2 possible?

    Am 27.02.04, 18:45:14, schrieb Bjorn Ljungdahl:

    > Hi,

    > I just wondered if it is possible to clone a system
    > (IRIX6.5.22m) from an Indy to an Indigo2.

    > When cloning disk from Indy to Indy I know
    > I have to reinstall graphics subsystems if the
    > graphics is different. I haven't tried to clone from
    > R4K to R5K but I assume there are some other
    > subsystems that needs to be reinstalled to.

    > Providing the Indigo2 is R4K family will it be
    > sufficient to reinstall graphics sybsystem,
    > or are there so many different systems that
    > it is better to do a fresh install on the I2 and
    > then copy the common files?

    IMHO this should be applicable:

    http://www.google.com/groups?q=doug+...rom+xl+to+xz%2
    2+group:comp.sys.sgi.graphics&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3C35202A.
    91949FE4%40opengeek.org&rnum=1

    (sorry my newsreader will split the URL into several lines)

    > /Bjorn

+ Reply to Thread