boot into single mode? - SGI

This is a discussion on boot into single mode? - SGI ; Moin, after changing some settinge in my network (internal Domain, NIS-Server etc) an old but needed Indigo2 won't boot any longer. It start up normal until /usr/freeware/apache/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started Then the maschine hangs. I can login remote, but I ...

  1. boot into single mode?

    Moin,

    after changing some settinge in my network (internal Domain, NIS-Server
    etc) an old but needed Indigo2 won't boot any longer.

    It start up normal until

    /usr/freeware/apache/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started

    Then the maschine hangs. I can login remote, but I don't get a shell:

    cassiopeia:~# telnet 192.168.2.60
    Trying 192.168.2.60...
    Connected to 192.168.2.60.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    IRIX (centaurus.mtr.local)

    login: root
    Password:
    IRIX Release 6.5 IP22 centaurus
    Copyright 1987-2002 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Last login: Wed Feb 25 19:09:37 MET 2004 by
    UNKNOWN@cassiopeia.mtr.local

    Now I'm looking for a chance to boot into a single user mode, but

    boot dksc(0,1,0)/unix init S

    seems to start up normal .... until it hangs again.
    BTW: wasn't there a 4 finger trick to reboot a sgi? It is probably a bad
    idea to switch it off and on again to try the next thing.

    Any hint?

    --

    |Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
    |D-72072 Tuebingen Germany |
    |Germany Don't drink as root! ESC:wq

  2. Re: boot into single mode?

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:18:16 +0100, Michael Renner wrote:
    > Now I'm looking for a chance to boot into a single user mode, but
    > boot dksc(0,1,0)/unix init S

    Hmmm... isn't there the "single" command available in the Command
    Monitor?

    > seems to start up normal .... until it hangs again.
    > BTW: wasn't there a 4 finger trick to reboot a sgi?

    The only 4 finger trick I can remember is the "Vulcan Death
    Grip" to restart the X server (Ctrl+Shift+F12+/).

    > It is probably a bad
    > idea to switch it off and on again to try the next thing.

    I guess using the Reset button is a bit better than
    powercycling it.

    Gerhard
    --
    http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/

  3. Re: boot into single mode?

    power the system on
    before it boots press escape to go into system maintenence mode

    go into the command monitor

    at the prompt type single

    enter ur root passwd

    there you are simple as that :-) your in single user mode.

    hope this is helpful

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Michael Renner wrote:

    > Moin,
    >
    > after changing some settinge in my network (internal Domain, NIS-Server
    > etc) an old but needed Indigo2 won't boot any longer.
    >
    > It start up normal until
    >
    > /usr/freeware/apache/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started
    >
    > Then the maschine hangs. I can login remote, but I don't get a shell:
    >
    > cassiopeia:~# telnet 192.168.2.60
    > Trying 192.168.2.60...
    > Connected to 192.168.2.60.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    >
    > IRIX (centaurus.mtr.local)
    >
    > login: root
    > Password:
    > IRIX Release 6.5 IP22 centaurus
    > Copyright 1987-2002 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    > Last login: Wed Feb 25 19:09:37 MET 2004 by
    > UNKNOWN@cassiopeia.mtr.local
    >

    > Now I'm looking for a chance to boot into a single user mode, but
    >
    > boot dksc(0,1,0)/unix init S
    >
    > seems to start up normal .... until it hangs again.
    > BTW: wasn't there a 4 finger trick to reboot a sgi? It is probably a bad
    > idea to switch it off and on again to try the next thing.
    >

    > Any hint?
    >
    > --
    >
    > |Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
    > |D-72072 Tuebingen Germany |
    > |Germany Don't drink as root! ESC:wq

  4. Re: boot into single mode?

    In article <0kcvg1-hn5.ln1@news.g-lenerz.de>,
    Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    >On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:18:16 +0100, Michael Renner wrote:

    [ ... ]
    >> It is probably a bad
    >> idea to switch it off and on again to try the next thing.

    >I guess using the Reset button is a bit better than
    >powercycling it.

    On a powered-up Indigo2, hitting the power switch once will
    initiate a controlled shutdown (I've verified this on mine).
    Hitting it twice gets you an immediate power-off (which I
    have _not_ verified).

    I was told this worked on an Origin300 as well; that is not
    the case--one touch got an immediate power-off.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  5. Re: boot into single mode?

    On 2004-02-25, Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:18:16 +0100, Michael Renner wrote:
    >> Now I'm looking for a chance to boot into a single user mode, but
    >> boot dksc(0,1,0)/unix init S

    > Hmmm... isn't there the "single" command available in the Command
    > Monitor?

    oh, it's there! Sorry for my silly question, I was only blind!

    >> seems to start up normal .... until it hangs again.
    >> BTW: wasn't there a 4 finger trick to reboot a sgi?

    > The only 4 finger trick I can remember is the "Vulcan Death
    > Grip" to restart the X server (Ctrl+Shift+F12+/).

    I confus this maybe.

    Thnaks for your help (and the answers from others), changed some network
    settings and now it starts up normal again.

    CU
    --

    |Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
    |D-72072 Tuebingen Germany |