IRIX ipalias examples please - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX ipalias examples please - SGI ; IRIX 6.5.19 I need to configure a couple Indigo 2 servers to answer two different IP addresses on two different subnets and a single network interface. Would this (an example) be valid as entries for /etc/config/ipaliases.options ? ec0 206.19.92.100 netmask ...

  1. IRIX ipalias examples please

    IRIX 6.5.19

    I need to configure a couple Indigo 2 servers to answer two different
    IP addresses on two different subnets and a single network interface.

    Would this (an example) be valid as entries for
    /etc/config/ipaliases.options ?

    ec0 206.19.92.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 206.19.92.255
    ec0 67.130.145.200 netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast 67.130.192.

    Would the machine, then respond on both nets, interchangeably?

    What I want to do is to transition the machines from one net to the
    other without noticable downtime.

    I can shorten the TTLs on the domains without problem, but there will
    be some indeterminate time during the transition, and eventually the
    machines will need to come up with multiple (ip based virtual hosts)
    addresses that they respond to.

    Jim
    --

  2. Re: IRIX ipalias examples please

    > IRIX 6.5.19
    > I need to configure a couple Indigo 2 servers to answer two different
    > IP addresses on two different subnets and a single network interface.

    > Would this (an example) be valid as entries for
    > /etc/config/ipaliases.options ?

    Yes. Note, you put your "primary" IP in ifconfig-0.options and you
    only put aliases in ipaliases.options.

    max

  3. Re: IRIX ipalias examples please

    I did this for one of our mail servers.

    the Examples are good in the file.

    run
    chkconfig ipaliases on

    after editing the file. Then start the service :-)

    All worked fine with our server.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, No Mail wrote:

    > IRIX 6.5.19
    >
    > I need to configure a couple Indigo 2 servers to answer two different
    > IP addresses on two different subnets and a single network interface.
    >
    > Would this (an example) be valid as entries for
    > /etc/config/ipaliases.options ?
    >
    > ec0 206.19.92.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 206.19.92.255
    > ec0 67.130.145.200 netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast 67.130.192.
    >
    > Would the machine, then respond on both nets, interchangeably?
    >
    > What I want to do is to transition the machines from one net to the
    > other without noticable downtime.
    >
    > I can shorten the TTLs on the domains without problem, but there will
    > be some indeterminate time during the transition, and eventually the
    > machines will need to come up with multiple (ip based virtual hosts)
    > addresses that they respond to.
    >
    > Jim
    > --

+ Reply to Thread